Wife removed anti-spyware [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife removed anti-spyware

Rec4LMS
09-11-2011, 09:12
I'll never understand women, even though I married one.

I was on my wife's laptop the other day and noted that she was missing a few anti-spyware programs that I swore I had installed. Thus, I installed them.

Wife comes home and realized that I had installed new programs and she got hot. She knew that they were anti-spyware but her argument was that "These programs are what messed up my old laptop." :shocked: Yeah, she was hot.

Now, her old laptop was a Presario that she got back in 2000 that I managed to keep running until 2008. The problems from that laptop stemmed from spilling water on the thing, spilling wine on the thing, and a hard drive that crashed. I had replaced the hard drive, upgraded the memory, and even replaced the keyboard and it still "worked" when I replaced it.

Thus, she deleted some of the programs I added. I say some because on one of them she only took off the shortcuts. :upeyes: Did I mention that she is fairly computer illiterate?

I love my wife. But sometimes... :bunny:

wrenrj1
09-11-2011, 09:35
Her laptop, her issue. I would not dare do the same to my wife's laptop without asking. Keep the peace, delete it and buy her a nice pie.

ron59
09-11-2011, 09:39
Her laptop, her issue. I would not dare do the same to my wife's laptop without asking. Keep the peace, delete it and buy her a nice pie.

And when she comes crying saying "It's not working, fix it!"..... tell her that on that machine, she's the "IT expert". That you had installed software to protect her which she chose to remove.

Of if you do fix it... put it on the shelf and let it sit for a few weeks first.

Rec4LMS
09-11-2011, 10:26
And when she comes crying saying "It's not working, fix it!"..... tell her that on that machine, she's the "IT expert". That you had installed software to protect her which she chose to remove.

I wish it was that simple. Even though she may cause a problem, I'm still expected to be a miracle worker and solve it. :wow:

For all in all, I say that it is my wife's laptop but in reality everything is "ours." It's just that she likes a laptop and I find the keyboard way too small for my liking. She can use the PC and I can use the laptop without any major complaints.

I think what it comes down to is that she has a lot of preconceived notions about computers that are just wrong.

Pierre!
09-11-2011, 17:26
I am the IT person, and what I say goes.

Or you can go pay for it... :cool:

Then, when you get home the fight starts! (LOL)

Leave a copy of a free eBook about Internet Safety Tips laying around... Should be easy to find a copy.

If I am expected to fix it, then when I put in place to keep you *safe* must stay on the system.

Good Luck!

wrenrj1
09-11-2011, 17:32
While we guys cannot win, the "I TOLD YOU SO.." card is one that probably should never be played. Your mistake was doing it without her permission. If she eventually got a virus you would not benefit from the statement above. Just give her the look, and she'll know she's wrong if it happens. Outside of that, don't abandon her, make sure her Windows Security Firewall is up to date.

And still, buy her a fine pie.

gemeinschaft
09-11-2011, 21:05
This is why I am glad that my GF has a Mac. She is happy with it and I don't have to mess with it. If something goes wonky, I tell her to take it to the Apple Store... LOL

wrenrj1
09-12-2011, 19:02
This is why I am glad that my GF has a Mac. She is happy with it and I don't have to mess with it. If something goes wonky, I tell her to take it to the Apple Store... LOL

+1, bought my wife a Macbook pro about six-months ago. It came with a year of free virus protection (worthless IMHO, but it was free), but that will expire.

We're at step 3 of 5 in making the transition to the Mac world.

Rec4LMS
09-12-2011, 19:10
Oy. anti-spyware does not matter now. Wife just spilled a whole glass of wine on the laptop. :dunno:

Well, I'll see what I can do for it on Wednesday, which is my next full day off.

Pierre!
09-13-2011, 22:00
I let my wife use my Macbook for a while... to see if she liked it.

Heard these cursing noises about 30 minutes in to her using it... stepped in, gave some instruction including where to get the help menu.

30 more minutes pass... in she walks, it's closed up, sour look on her face... "where did you find this piece of s***?" Puts it on my desk, hasn't touched it since. (LOL)

Did the Bootcamp on it with Windows 7 - showed it to her - "Thats nice"... Still not interested.

She is *all* into her Toshiba Satellite though!

I guess that I do use my previous titles to enforce the Information Technology around here.

It's saved our marriage however! :cool:

Gotta go... time to do the dishes... :supergrin:

Yah, I do my part, she does hers... goes both ways!

HotRoderX
09-13-2011, 22:03
Could be worse Rec I have a family member who uninstalls the antivirus. Finally I got tired of it and put a password on the anti virus so it cant be uninstalled. The best part of why they removed it was because it takes IE 3-4secs longer to open with it on there. :brickwall:

Electrikkoolaid
09-13-2011, 22:09
Dual-boot into Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php), and 98% of your "home IT support" issues will go away.

solomansousana
09-14-2011, 13:15

Exactly. Leave her be, let her have her computer as she wants it, but when it's all screwed up, tell her it's her computer, so she's responsible for getting it fixed and restoring any lost data.