New guy saying hi and thanks! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New guy saying hi and thanks!

TX Archer
09-11-2011, 17:06
I've been registered here for a few months but haven't posted yet because I'm here to learn rather than talk. I figured it's time to say thank you to all of you who have unknowingly prepared me to begin loading my own ammo. I've wanted to do it since I began shooting as a teenager (which is longer ago than I care to admit) but never had a mentor and was always a bit intimidated by it.. I'd put it out of my mind for a while and it would always come back.

I started reading everything at GTR because I shoot Glocks and figured this would be a good place to learn. Between reading current threads and searching for answers in older posts (and, yes, thoroughly reading Speer and Lyman's manuals), I feel like I've received a pretty good introductory education. I've spoken with Brian Enos and the guys in the reloading dept. at a LGS and they assure me that I've educated myself more than most beginners. You guys can take a lot of that credit because much of that education came from you.

So I've got a Dillon RL 550B with dies and conversion to do both 9mm and .40 coming from Brian Enos along with most everything I need to get started. The few things I didn't order from him are small stuff like primer flip tray and bullet puller that I can get significantly cheaper elsewhere. There's one other piece of equipment that I want your opinion on but I'll ask that in its own thread. This thread is just to introduce myself and say thanks for being informative, friendlier than your usual gun crowd, and pretty darn funny at times!

ron59
09-11-2011, 17:16
So I've got a Dillon RL 550B with dies and conversion to do both 9mm and .40 coming from Brian Enos along with most everything I need to get started. The few things I didn't order from him are small stuff like primer flip tray and bullet puller that I can get significantly cheaper elsewhere. There's one other piece of equipment that I want your opinion on but I'll ask that in its own thread. This thread is just to introduce myself and say thanks for being informative, friendlier than your usual gun crowd, and pretty darn funny at times!

Excellent choice, IMO. I did the same thing 2+ years ago, have close to 40k of 9mm on it and 2k of .45. You won't regret it. Welcome to the club!

GioaJack
09-11-2011, 17:17
Don't thank us yet, you ain't been here that long... and don't believe a thing anyone under 60 says, they're all a bunch of young'uns who are still wet behind the ears.

Don't believe Unclebob either, he's over 60 but he's senile.

Welcome aboard.

Jack

Beanie-Bean
09-11-2011, 17:19
Welcome! Excellent choice of reloading press, by the way. Where do you shoot around here? I'm usually at Eagle Peak, and am looking to try out Best of the West as soon as it cools off temperature-wise for the year. Been much too hot to go out there lately, so I've just been sorting/prepping/cleaning brass.

PhantomF4E
09-11-2011, 17:22
The wisecracks are an added bonus. There are a bunch of skilled individuals here that are willing to help and they jump on anything quick that is either unskilled or unwise. You picked a good place to read up .

RustyFN
09-11-2011, 17:23
Welcome TX Archer.

TX Archer
09-11-2011, 17:26
Don't thank us yet, you ain't been here that long... and don't believe a thing anyone under 60 says, they're all a bunch of young'uns who are still wet behind the ears.

I've already learned who to listen to and who to ignore.

Take that as you will. :supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
09-11-2011, 17:32

:rofl:

Best of luck on your new hobby... :)

TX Archer
09-11-2011, 17:33
Welcome! Excellent choice of reloading press, by the way. Where do you shoot around here? I'm usually at Eagle Peak, and am looking to try out Best of the West as soon as it cools off temperature-wise for the year. Been much too hot to go out there lately, so I've just been sorting/prepping/cleaning brass.

I lost my hunting land this year so I've been shooting at Red's a lot lately. I live in S. Austin so the Oak Hill location is much more convenient for me, plus I've been spending too much time outdoors in this godforsaken summer to deal with the heat any more than I have to. A trip to Cedar Park or Leander adds about an hour round-trip for me as well as an extra $10-15 in gas. Those sound like fun places, though, and have certainly intrigued me.

GioaJack
09-11-2011, 17:33

Damn rookie flatlander. :whistling:

Jack

uhlawpup
09-11-2011, 17:38
Welcome aboard.

Heck, I don't even believe myself most of the time.

IndyGunFreak
09-11-2011, 17:41
Welcome aboard.

Heck, I don't even believe myself most of the time.

That's cuz you're a lawyer.. ;)

PCJim
09-11-2011, 17:44
Good equipment decision, and welcome to the nuthouse. As you've already found, there's a lot of information to be gleamed from this forum, as well as some oftentimes much needed comic relief.

Zombie Steve
09-11-2011, 17:46

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/2l8gps2.gif

Colorado4Wheel
09-11-2011, 18:17
I've been registered here for a few months but haven't posted yet because I'm here to learn rather than talk. I figured it's time to say thank you to all of you who have unknowingly prepared me to begin loading my own ammo. I've wanted to do it since I began shooting as a teenager (which is longer ago than I care to admit) but never had a mentor and was always a bit intimidated by it.. I'd put it out of my mind for a while and it would always come back.

I started reading everything at GTR because I shoot Glocks and figured this would be a good place to learn. Between reading current threads and searching for answers in older posts (and, yes, thoroughly reading Speer and Lyman's manuals), I feel like I've received a pretty good introductory education. I've spoken with Brian Enos and the guys in the reloading dept. at a LGS and they assure me that I've educated myself more than most beginners. You guys can take a lot of that credit because much of that education came from you.

Welcome. Enjoy the new hobby. I wish more people followed your lead. This should be a sticky.

WiskyT
09-11-2011, 18:18

You made a good choice, in equipment and to reload. There are some basic procedures in reloading that MUST be followed to the letter or you can get hurt. But, there are lots of different choices regarding components and equipment that are not that critical. Follow the basics carefully, and don't get caught up in the minutia of the other stuff until you are familiar with everything, and you'll be making good ammo within a couple of hours. don't be intimidated by the amount of info and opinions, just follow the basics carefully and you can't go wrong.

TX Archer
09-11-2011, 19:52
You made a good choice, in equipment and to reload. There are some basic procedures in reloading that MUST be followed to the letter or you can get hurt. But, there are lots of different choices regarding components and equipment that are not that critical. Follow the basics carefully, and don't get caught up in the minutia of the other stuff until you are familiar with everything, and you'll be making good ammo within a couple of hours. don't be intimidated by the amount of info and opinions, just follow the basics carefully and you can't go wrong.

Thanks and trust me in that I'm duly respectful of the possible consequences. That's exactly why I've been reading for several months. With equipment and components, I made most of my decisions months ago. I'm much more concerned about identifying possible mistakes, namely the things y'all point out to the newbies time and time again (e.g., good/bad powders for beginners, COL and the effects on pressure, etc.). You've addressed these things so often, the answers were all here for me to find.

I'm a former machinist so I have a healthy respect for processes that can jump up and bite you if you're not careful. And I'm not really interested in pushing the limits. I just want to be able to shoot more ammo and have a little bigger part in the whole process. And, heck, it just sounds like fun.

Thanks a lot for the welcome, everyone.

unclebob
09-11-2011, 20:00
:welcome:

Don't believe Unclebob either, he's over 60 but he's senile.

And this is from a oxygen deprived individual.:tongueout:

ColoCG
09-11-2011, 22:13
Welcome, and I have to say it is refreshing to see a newbie take the initiative to learn as much about reloading on his own that he can before jumping in over his head. It sounds as if you have definitely done your homework. You should have no problem progressing from here. But if you do have some questions as you progress, feel free to ask.

Good Luck.

fredj338
09-11-2011, 23:02
Welcome to the addiction.:wow:

Hogpauls
09-12-2011, 08:57
Welcome aboard!

Boxerglocker
09-12-2011, 15:44

Welcome to GTR... Sounds like you've done your homework. Made a great choice for equipment investing and even managed to save a few bucks here and there. Good luck and once again welcome.

El_Ron1
09-12-2011, 16:42

KOSKI!!!!!!!11!!

http://i56.tinypic.com/5n8zr7.jpg