Rookie mistake [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mistake

arodgers
09-11-2011, 20:32
Just started reloading last week. Already cranked out 600 9mm and it's working great... most of the time. Today I got home from the range and said to myself, "This brass will be easier to sort after it's been tumbled".

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9127/imagerzfx.jpg

Won't do that again.

sig357fan
09-11-2011, 20:35
live and learn brother....live and learn.

sig357fan

gary newport
09-11-2011, 20:40
Have you had a "triple swallow" yet? (.45 ACP swallows .40 S&W, which has swallowed a 9mm.) Has anybody had a "quadruple swallow?"

njl
09-11-2011, 21:39
That sucks. Whats even worse is, once you get all those separated, the inner ones probably need to be tumbled again. That's why you never tumble different case mouth diameters together. i.e. you could tumble 9mm and .380 or .40 and 10mm, but it's best if you keep the stuff as separate as possible.

When picking up brass, I try to bag it all by caliber using old plastic grocery bags. One bag for 9mm, one for .45acp, etc. That way, I don't have to do much caliber sorting later.

gary newport
09-11-2011, 21:52
That sucks. Whats even worse is, once you get all those separated, the inner ones probably need to be tumbled again. That's why you never tumble different case mouth diameters together. i.e. you could tumble 9mm and .380 or .40 and 10mm, but it's best if you keep the stuff as separate as possible.

When picking up brass, I try to bag it all by caliber using old plastic grocery bags. One bag for 9mm, one for .45acp, etc. That way, I don't have to do much caliber sorting later.

Precisely! I don't like sorting unsorted brass before tumbling...but I dislike sorting unsorted brass after tumbling even more.

But...it happens. Folks sometimes throw useless .40 brass in my can at the SNSS. Doesn't matter whether I happen to be shooting .45 GAP, .45 ACP or 9mm, it's still a pain in the butt!

ColoCG
09-11-2011, 22:19
Lesson Learned. One you definitely won't forget!:supergrin:

Zombie Steve
09-11-2011, 22:24
http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25434/catid/8/Shell_Sorter

vtbluegrass
09-11-2011, 22:25
The tur-duc-hen of the gun world everyone does it their first time.

Atleast you aren't trying to sort 380, makarov, and 9mm. I learned quickly after that to pick up brass when switching guns or spend an hour sorting brass.

CitizenOfDreams
09-11-2011, 22:49
http://bestgiftexpress.com/library/m_104052_a.jpg

bush pilot
09-11-2011, 23:15
live and learn brother....live and learn.

sig357fan

One of life's little lessons.

arodgers
09-12-2011, 03:46
The tur-duc-hen of the gun world everyone does it their first time.

Atleast you aren't trying to sort 380, makarov, and 9mm. I learned quickly after that to pick up brass when switching guns or spend an hour sorting brass.

That was last weeks mistake. Had a case that didn't flare. Finally got the bullet balanced on the case so I could press it and then noticed a lot of bullet was showing. OAL was correct, but it looked funny. Finally realized it was .380.

ron59
09-12-2011, 05:59
That Shell Sorter Zombie Steve pointed you to is very handy. I can sort a fairly large lot of mixed brass pretty quickly with that thing. Love it.

DWARREN123
09-12-2011, 06:53
Wrong! Another of lifes little lessons. :supergrin:

Three-Five-Seven
09-12-2011, 08:08
Won't do that again.

Yeah, wish I had a nickel for every time I've said that to myself.

If you are anything like me, you WILL do it again. But, next time it will probably be by accident.

ChrisJn
09-12-2011, 08:38
Been there, done that.

SigFTW
09-12-2011, 08:44
lol, I will take that rookie mistake over a kaboom any day! :wow:

triggerjerker
09-12-2011, 12:51
Have you had a "triple swallow" yet? (.45 ACP swallows .40 S&W, which has swallowed a 9mm.) Has anybody had a "quadruple swallow?"

I have had 45-40-9mm/380-22lr when I tumbled some range brass I bought from a indoor range.

G36_Me
09-12-2011, 13:50
I had read about this mistake, so dodged it, but wasn't smart enough to avoid depriming before tumbling. I had media stuck in every hole and had to poke it out. I thought I was going to get my primer pockets clean. Now I tumble before depriming.

edit to add: I started reloading 35 years ago but got my first tumbler this past year. Rookie for life and hope to keep learning for a long time.

TH3180
09-12-2011, 14:46
Yep did that once and only once. I know many reloaders that have done it once also.

unclebob
09-12-2011, 14:48
Small needle nose pliers work great for trying to get the cases out.

arodgers
09-12-2011, 15:01
Small needle nose pliers work great for trying to get the cases out.

That's what I used for most of them. Most of the 9 inside 40 was a lost cause.

GioaJack
09-12-2011, 15:05
Put the 40's with the 9's stuck inside of them in your bullet puller and give it a whack... they'll come right out.

Jack

PCJim
09-12-2011, 15:34
Or put them back in the tumbler without any media. I haven't tried this, but others have had success. I generally can pull apart the infrequent one that gets past my pre-sorting.

Boxerglocker
09-12-2011, 16:02
Gotta love them Shell Sorters :whistling:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/847/847836.jpg

Makes easy work of presorting brass and makes a good media sift afterward when placed over a 5 gallon bucket.

The-Fly
09-12-2011, 16:19
This is why 40 needs to be banned, along with 380 and mak. Its for the children after all :supergrin:

BENCH
09-12-2011, 16:40
yep 9's in the 40's

dougader
09-12-2011, 21:44
Another, "yep, did that exactly once." I laughed when Jack knew to use the kinetic bullet puller... LOL. Is there anything he doesn't know???

I used the small needle nose pliers for mine.

gary newport
09-12-2011, 22:02
This is why 40 needs to be banned, along with 380 and mak. Its for the children after all :supergrin:

Agreed!

Also, either .45 ACP cases with small primer pockets or .45 ACP cases with large primer pockets should be banned. Though there is another option: reload only .45 GAP!

Problems with differing primer sizes in .45 GAP will be extremely rare--but it is possible. I have a single case, headstamped .45 Glock in my collection. It has a large primer pocket. I found it, all by itself, at the public range I attend. It must be one of the pre-production/early production Speer cases. I have no idea how it came to be at the range. :dunno:

sellersm
09-13-2011, 09:18
Yup, been there done that, got the T-shirt! :supergrin:

As to sorting, that's where kids come in! My youngest daughter's job is to sort the brass for me, BEFORE tumbling of course! Prolly cheaper to buy the Shell Sorter, but it gives her a 'job' and has been used to teach many lessons...

njl
09-13-2011, 09:49
Yup, been there done that, got the T-shirt! :supergrin:

As to sorting, that's where kids come in! My youngest daughter's job is to sort the brass for me, BEFORE tumbling of course! Prolly cheaper to buy the Shell Sorter, but it gives her a 'job' and has been used to teach many lessons...

For anyone having their kids handle dirty brass (whether picking it up at the range or sorting it at home), I hope they're wearing gloves and/or educated in proper hygiene for avoiding lead exposure.

oneofthose
09-13-2011, 12:00
For anyone having their kids handle dirty brass (whether picking it up at the range or sorting it at home), I hope they're wearing gloves and/or educated in proper hygiene for avoiding lead exposure.

Probably a greater risk of lead exposure playing with their made-in-china toys.

njl
09-13-2011, 13:17
Probably a greater risk of lead exposure playing with their made-in-china toys.

Lead, cadmium, who knows what they put in stuff...but we know there's lead salt residue on dirty brass. The worst I've seen is a guy at the range having his kid pick up brass...bare handed, and using his hat to hold it. :drillsgt:

justinsaneok
09-13-2011, 21:03
While your open to learning I feel I got to tell you NEVER EVER tumble 5.56/ .223 with the pet shop Harts brand big corncob stuff. Got back from the range and didn't even think about it. It's all I had before I got some of the good REAL tumble media. I picked it all out with a screw and ice pick. No brass left behind is my motto!

Zombie Steve
09-13-2011, 21:06
Agreed!

Also, either .45 ACP cases with small primer pockets or .45 ACP cases with large primer pockets should be banned. Though there is another option: reload only .45 GAP!

Problems with differing primer sizes in .45 GAP will be extremely rare--but it is possible. I have a single case, headstamped .45 Glock in my collection. It has a large primer pocket. I found it, all by itself, at the public range I attend. It must be one of the pre-production/early production Speer cases. I have no idea how it came to be at the range. :dunno:

I was almost with you for a second there, Gary. :tongueout:

thorn137
09-14-2011, 21:13
Here's a couple that I hope I'm not the only one to have experienced:

- Sale on "salt grain size" walnut pet bedding @ the market. Smaller pieces... hm... maybe they flow faster, and clean better! Nope. They just all get jammed and stuck in the bottom of the cases and make decapping a PITA.

- Loading 9mm round. Eject. Stack next to previously loaded rounds. Can't figure out why it looks odd. Put in a case gauge. Fits into gauge, but entire round is just barely too short. Check OAL with caliper... hm, it's correct. Recheck in case gauge. STILL slightly too short. So far, have only determined that checking length with caliper does not fix the problem.

Scratch head, furrow brow, and glance at the cat for some advice. Cat advises to look at the headstamp again.

wait for it

9x18.

GAH.

thorn

engineermike
09-14-2011, 21:26
Yep, size matters....:faint::rofl:

sdelam
09-17-2011, 09:16
While your open to learning I feel I got to tell you NEVER EVER tumble 5.56/ .223 with the pet shop Harts brand big corncob stuff. Got back from the range and didn't even think about it. It's all I had before I got some of the good REAL tumble media. I picked it all out with a screw and ice pick. No brass left behind is my motto!

Been there done that as well!

njl
09-17-2011, 14:55

Pet store / Wal-Mart corn cob pet bedding is too big for tumbling any sort of brass. I don't know why people keep telling the noobs it's a cheap source of great tumbling media. It's big enough that it gets stuck inside 9mm and even .45acp...and if you pour a little car wax into it, it gets even worse.

Maybe it's good for tumbling lube off loaded ammo? I haven't tried it for that...but I have had most of a bag sealed up in a 5G bucket for a couple of years.

michael e
09-17-2011, 15:02
I do this all the time, I dont sort out calibers untill its clean. My range bag gets emptied into one box, the clean brass goes into tuperware by caliber. It only takes me a few mins to pull the few rounds that get stuck together apart.

gary newport
09-17-2011, 16:10
I do this all the time, I dont sort out calibers untill its clean. My range bag gets emptied into one box, the clean brass goes into tuperware by caliber. It only takes me a few mins to pull the few rounds that get stuck together apart.

I don't like doing this because (a) media often gets trapped in the larger case (which has swallowed a smaller one) and (b) the smaller, swallowed, case often is not clean.

arodgers
09-17-2011, 18:36

The shells stuck inside the larger shells didn't get cleaned at all.