Aren't you still supposed to stand for the National Anthem??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aren't you still supposed to stand for the National Anthem???

steveksux
09-11-2011, 21:59
Did a gig today, being 9/11, the 10 year anniversary, someone said a few words, had someone play taps, someone sang the National Anthem.

Practically nobody stood up. I was standing there, frankly amazed. WTH is wrong with people, on today of all days... Kids I can almost understand, but what about their parents? It was a recruiting event for a charter school. If these are the best and the brightest they are trying to recruit... well..... just sayin... I've never been big on public displays of patriotism, but this is ridiculous.

Just checking to see if I'm crazy or not.... I thought you were supposed to stand up. Maybe put your hand on your heart... :upeyes:

Randy

Hack
09-11-2011, 22:06
Did a gig today, being 9/11, the 10 year anniversary, someone said a few words, had someone play taps, someone sang the National Anthem.

Practically nobody stood up. I was standing there, frankly amazed. WTH is wrong with people, on today of all days... Kids I can almost understand, but what about their parents? It was a recruiting event for a charter school. If these are the best and the brightest they are trying to recruit... well..... just sayin... I've never been big on public displays of patriotism, but this is ridiculous.

Just checking to see if I'm crazy or not.... I thought you were supposed to stand up. Maybe put your hand on your heart... :upeyes:

Randy

For military, and federal employees, they had better be standing up. Military had better be rendering a salute, and civilians need to do what is appropriate. Only by religious exemption, (yes there is that), should a person be excused.
Even military veterans according to somewhat recently enacted federal law is authorised to render a military salute for during the pledge of allegiance, taps, lowering of the flag for the day, (if on a active fort or base), and during flag raising at reveille, with the military salute being given for the pledge of allegiance and the playing of the national anthem anywhere. Even at a sporting event we do what is appropriate, or at parades when the colours pass I will do what is expected.

PuroMexicano
09-11-2011, 22:07
MANY People, around the world, don't care for nothing anymore, that's why this planet is going down the drain...

Hack
09-11-2011, 22:08
MANY People, around the world, don't care for nothing anymore, that's why this planet is going down the drain...

Indeed.

MadMonkey
09-11-2011, 22:27
When I was a kid, probably 15, I was at an RC event wandering around and looking at planes. Suddenly I heard someone yell "TAKE YOUR HAT OFF!", and I whipped around wondering what happened and I saw an old veteran standing behind me, saluting as the National Anthem was sung.

I was extremely embarrassed, not because of his chastising, but because I hadn't heard the Anthem start and hadn't been respectful, even though it wasn't intentional. I stood by him with my hat off and hand on my heart. I apologized after, and I think he understood.

The last time I heard the National Anthem sung live was at an air show last year. I was in the massive line coming in, and though it was playing clearly, aside from myself I think I saw maybe 3 other people who actually stopped and removed their hats. :crying:

steveksux
09-11-2011, 22:41
I guess I'm no better than they are, I didn't think about the fact I had a hat on. :embarassed: At least I was standing....

Randy

jellis11
09-11-2011, 22:45
we went to a ball game at work (fd) and two of the guys just sat there like it was dumb and they were too good for it. soon as we got back i called them out. what a way to show pride... sad about my generation and those under.

Triple7
09-11-2011, 22:49
I work in a stadium and when the NA is played I and all of our employees stop mid stride if needed.
My 4 and 3 year old know to stand and cover their heart

scottydl
09-12-2011, 07:21
Many times at public events there will be a directive "And now, please stand for the singing of the National Anthem" ... not saying that should be required but I'm sure it helps remind. People act in groups for the most part. Standing ovations are generally prompted by a few people within a crowd of hundreds, for instance. Just keep providing a good example, teach your own kids right, and hopefully as many people as possible (who may not know any better otherwise) will follow along.

The planet may be going down the drain, but it doesn't mean we all just have to sit around and watch it happen.

Mrs.Cicero
09-12-2011, 07:24
I have never been anyplace where people didn't stand for the national anthem. But I live in the midwest...

Mrs.Cicero

merlynusn
09-12-2011, 07:41
I think in most sporting events now they say please stand for the national anthem as scotty said. You shouldn't need reminding though. Since I'm a military veteran I don't just stand nonchalant either. I stand at attention.

Hack, I didn't know about that new law that says veterans can salute now. Do you have it somewhere?

Keyhole
09-12-2011, 07:43
You are supposed to stand for any national anthem.

Cav
09-12-2011, 07:53
http://www.eatliver.com/img/2009/4368.jpg

CJStudent
09-12-2011, 07:59
I think in most sporting events now they say please stand for the national anthem as scotty said. You shouldn't need reminding though. Since I'm a military veteran I don't just stand nonchalant either. I stand at attention.

Hack, I didn't know about that new law that says veterans can salute now. Do you have it somewhere?

I don't have the quote, but I got the info from official channels as well (ARNG).

CJStudent
09-12-2011, 08:01
http://www.eatliver.com/img/2009/4368.jpg

:patriot:

Agent6-3/8
09-12-2011, 08:35
Every now and then I'm pleasantly surprised by the actions of people. My fiancee and I went to a minor league baseball game earlier this summer and were approaching the gates as the National Anthem started. Much to my surprise every person within earshot of the stadium stopped in their tracks and removed their hats, if wearing one. It was as silent as a city could be.

I was very much surprised and pleased with the actions of my fellow baseball fans. :thumbsup:

Brucev
09-12-2011, 09:08
Read the post. Sorry for what happened. In recent events I attended/in which I have participated, everyone has stood. In some we have recited the Pledge of Allegiance and then remained standing through the national anthem. Only folks who were wheel-chair bound remained standing. I have not seen anyone with a hat/cap on their head.

smokeross
09-12-2011, 11:24
At our local football game this weekend, (we won 56-0) Everyone stood at attention with hats off, hands on heart as Koey Dixon did another of her wonderful renditions of our National Anthem. I am often extremely dismayed at the poorly done singing and missed words by famous singers at the large venues.

scottydl
09-12-2011, 13:47
The photo above appears to be from sometime in the 1980's (considering the hair/clothing styles and old Bank of America logo), so this phenomenon isn't a new one. I'd say since 9/11 there has probably be a REsurgence of patriotic sentiment overall, now the key is keeping people attune to it.

Morris
09-12-2011, 14:16
A significant pet peeve of mine. I stand proudly. F'em if they won't. I served and by standing, I honor my brothers and sisters.

KCHORNS
09-12-2011, 19:33
I'm 33 and I can remember when I was a little kid people *****ing about people at the ball park chugging their beers and stuffing hot dogs down their throats during the National Anthem. So it's not a "new" problem.

On a side note. Last time I heard the National Anthem I was at a company get together at the ball park. We were in a air conditioned suite when I heard the National Anthem. I said "The National Anthem I have to go" and went out side to face the flag, hand over heart...no one followed.

It's one of the few things I can do to show thanks and give respect for the men and women that fight and sometimes give their lives so we can have our freedom!

cowboywannabe
09-12-2011, 19:36
we are a nation of cowards if you judge by the majority.

fewer folks have any love for this country. even the ones born here.

Hack
09-12-2011, 20:04

It was in my American Legion magazine a few years ago. I will have to look it up.

Texas357
09-12-2011, 20:46
Around here, everyone seems to think that no you are always supposed to sing along. No matter who has been brought in to sing it.

The most annoying, though, was the Mexican Elvis impersonator (his card actually reads "Mexican Elvis") who they had sing the national anthem at a recent event - he did not know the words, (or the tune), and at one point mumbled along, then repeated a line he had already sung.

w01
09-12-2011, 20:49
http://youtu.be/tvpxVE_kQXg

Hack
09-12-2011, 21:15
It was in my American Legion magazine a few years ago. I will have to look it up.

http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t01t04+12003+0++%28%29%20%20

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609

jpa
09-12-2011, 21:16
http://youtu.be/tvpxVE_kQXg

I've met Wayne Messmer, he's a pretty cool guy. That was an amazing scene, I remember seeing it on TV. Pardon me but I was 11 at the time.

Yes, it pisses me off to no end when people disrespect the flag and the national anthem by not standing.

PinkoCommie
09-13-2011, 09:22
You are supposed to stand for any national anthem.

It's a respect thing. Definitely stand for yours. Be proud of who you are. Don't forget, though, that the polite and respectful thing to do (if you are in a foreign country, a game where the opponents are from a foreign nation, or in any situation where you may hear a foreign anthem) is to stand for a foreign anthem as well. It's a golden rule thing. I would appreciate it if others stood for my country's anthem, so I will stand for theirs. And if there are some rude *******s in the crowd who don't care... well, that's their problem.

Here is a very nice example of a foreign nation honoring the United States in a very simple, yet very classy way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrX-LN9-L0&feature=related

merlynusn
09-14-2011, 06:57
http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t01t04+12003+0++%28%29%20%20

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609

Thanks

TKOFaith
09-15-2011, 14:34

Just checking to see if I'm crazy or not.... I thought you were supposed to stand up. Maybe put your hand on your heart... :upeyes: Randy

:patriot:I'm an army brat (well, I was...I'm 42 now LOL). I hate parades, but I always go when my kids are marching. Inevitably, very few stand when the colors pass anymore. I'm at attention, hat off, with my hand over my heart and a tear in my eye; yet most of the people there are too put out to even take off their hat, let alone stand and "salute." I don't know what my kids do when I'm not looking, but while they live in my house they will respect the flag and the republic for which it stands! :soap:

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

eracer
09-15-2011, 14:39
I stand, take off my hat, put it over my heart, and SING.

Annoys the heck out of the people around me. I don't care. That song is not meant to be heard - it's meant to be sung with pride.