Thinking about muzzle loader [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about muzzle loader

stooxie
09-12-2011, 07:07
Hey everyone,

I was thinking about getting a muzzle loader, something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Traditions-Vortex-Ultra-Light-MuzzleloaderLeupold-Scope-Combo/1228661.uts?WTz_l=CQO

I currently hunt with bow and rifle. I'm not dying to get into black powder but rather like the idea of being able to "firearm" hunt a couple weeks earlier.

I guess my primary question is are these modern in-line muzzle loaders pretty easy to use or are they still filthy pains? Probably somewhere in the middle. Would I need tons of supplies to clean and maintain or is it pretty straightforward?

If anyone knows of any FAQs out there that would answer such questions that would be much appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
-Stooxie

noway
09-12-2011, 13:52
Hey everyone,

I was thinking about getting a muzzle loader, something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Traditions-Vortex-Ultra-Light-MuzzleloaderLeupold-Scope-Combo/1228661.uts?WTz_l=CQO

I currently hunt with bow and rifle. I'm not dying to get into black powder but rather like the idea of being able to "firearm" hunt a couple weeks earlier.

I guess my primary question is are these modern in-line muzzle loaders pretty easy to use or are they still filthy pains? Probably somewhere in the middle. Would I need tons of supplies to clean and maintain or is it pretty straightforward?

If anyone knows of any FAQs out there that would answer such questions that would be much appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
-Stooxie

filthy pain in comparison to what? A smokeless rifle, flintlock,.....

Seriously most muzzleloader cleanup with pure water and bore brush of the appropiate size.

Today's powders are gear for a simple cleanup and only blackpowder is more corrosive and dirty.

If I was you I would look at the model and accessories. You have tons of options and if your looking for adding a combination The TC Encore would be a great starter base for a CF and Muzzleloader combo.

stooxie
09-12-2011, 14:13
filthy pain in comparison to what? A smokeless rifle, flintlock,.....

Seriously most muzzleloader cleanup with pure water and bore brush of the appropiate size.

Today's powders are gear for a simple cleanup and only blackpowder is more corrosive and dirty.

If I was you I would look at the model and accessories. You have tons of options and if your looking for adding a combination The TC Encore would be a great starter base for a CF and Muzzleloader combo.

Noway,

Glad to have you confirm the marketing. It does seem that modern day black powder has gotten extremely convenient but that's why I wanted to double check.

I appreciate the response!

-Stooxie

vafish
09-13-2011, 20:06
Even real black powder isn't that bad to clean up.

I just use hot soapy water on my BP guns and rinse with boiling water, then oil them up when they dry off.

walt cowan
09-15-2011, 14:44
check out savages ml-10. smokless!

sourdough44
09-17-2011, 07:06
For that kind of $$ I'd get a modern Knight with the Lehigh conversion breech plug & shoot Blackhorn 209 powder. You need to get schooled some, try modernmuzzleloaders.com. I hunt with a seriously tricked out Knight, hardly any less effective than one of my 308s. Yes, you have to keep them clean & only get the one shot, more than enough.

There are some particulars to shooting B209 & cleanup is easier than the other substitutes.