External hard drive constant activity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : External hard drive constant activity

srhoades
09-12-2011, 10:16
I'm stumped on this one. I have a Seagate 1TB external hard drive where Mozy makes it's local copies to once a day. About a week ago, I noticed it had non-stop disk activity, and it's still going. No pagefile, and no system restore on the drive. I can power it off and back on, and withing minutes the hard drive is going crazy. I have also restarted the computer.

HerrGlock
09-12-2011, 10:21
Could it be indexing the drive for fast search of some sort?

srhoades
09-12-2011, 11:30
The indexing service is not running.

srhoades
09-12-2011, 11:34
There are some bad sector showing up on the drive, I wonder if it is just starting to fail and act up.

HerrGlock
09-12-2011, 11:59
Dunno. Could be a dozen things. Look at your processes and kill each off until the drive stops.

aspartz
09-12-2011, 13:13
I have used a couple of seagate external drives. The 1st has been working happily for about 2 years as a backup drive. The second died in about six months. It would repeatedly drop off the usb bus and reattach. Each time, the drive would be running a little to re-mount. Finally it simply refused to mount.

From what I've read, the drive itself is ok, but the USB controller is cooked. I haven't
gutted the case the check this....

ARS

Linux3
09-12-2011, 19:24
There are many complaints on the web about Seagate USB drives that do not spin down. A friend of mine has one. He put a line switch in the power cord.
Seagate came out with a firmware update that did no good at all.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-GoFlex-Desk-GoFlex-Pro/GoFlex-2TB-desktop-does-not-spin-down-and-issues-with-network/td-p/90884

srhoades
09-13-2011, 23:09
Well after updating to the newest version of the Seagate Dashboard and running a test it claims the drive needs to be "serviced" so I'll RMA it and see what happens.

Toyman
09-14-2011, 05:49
I have a co-worker that has had several somewhat newer Seagate drives all die within a couple weeks of each other. I've also heard a lot of complaints lately. I would steer clear of them personally.

jellis11
09-14-2011, 06:48
i usually go seagate or WD. read reviews on both and they are the same. i dont even think you "get what you pay for" anymore. its almost all built with the same china crap.

Pierre!
09-17-2011, 20:26
Yah, I know how you feel...

I got sick of it and got a drive caddy... I had 6 or more SATA drives hanging around, and decided to start using them.

This arrangement is perfect for client service too - Need a backup? Here we go...

Get one that is USB AND eSATA, and it will go with any system and the eSATA is really fast!

Here is my article on this very topic...
Backup Storage Inexpensive, Expandable, Portable, and Flexible! (http://seeberconsultblog.com/backup-storage-inexpensive-expandable-portable-and-flexible/)

HTH...
Patrick