Bike Patrol Guys, step inside [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bike Patrol Guys, step inside

DaBigBR
09-12-2011, 10:42
Our department is sponsoring a bicycle patrol class late this month and in to next month. We, as usual, have more demand than we do bikes. I've started (and started LATE) looking in to a way for individual officers to purchase their own rides. We will likely have 6-8 certified bike patrol officers after this class and a whopping two bikes for them to share. Some officers are already planning on taking the class on a personally owned bike.

So my questions:

1) Is there any brand that should absolutely be avoided? It appears that Trek, Cannondale, Fuji, and Smith and Wesson all make bikes. The S&Ws look like they're pretty cheap, which I consider to be a clue...maybe I'm wrong.

2) Does anybody know what actual street prices are on Trek's police bikes lately? The Trek website has MSRP at around $1250, but obviously MSRP does not always equal retail pricing.

3) The most readily available brand appears to be Fuji, with several online retailers stocking their police bikes. Anybody have personal experience with them?

Any input is appreciated...we're obviously late in the game here.

msu_grad_121
09-12-2011, 11:32
Personally, I've never heard anything good about the S&W bikes. Trek seems to be the standard in this area, with a few Canonndale sprinkled in for good measure.

I haven't looked at police bikes in a while, but I want to say that street prices are about 200 less than MSRP, so figure around a grand.

I've met a few Fuji riders on the trails, they seem to enjoy their rides, but I have no direct experience with them, sorry.

FiremanMike
09-12-2011, 11:49
I would recommend your guys hit up the local custom shop and try and build their own. They will likely save money and get good components tailored to the individual rider.

Gangrel
09-12-2011, 12:55
We use c-dale

Breadman03
09-12-2011, 13:10
I'm not a LEO, but the local Bike patrol uses Trek. In talking to a "Trekhead," I was told that the WalMart bikes are not the same grade that you will find in a bike shop.

I have a Raleigh that I have a few thousand miles on with no problems.

BULLRUNN
09-12-2011, 16:34
I have ridden a TREK and C-Dale I like the TREK most of all..less repair issues.. Im was the Bike mechanic for my command for 8 years and the TREK's had less problems. They are built in Waterloo WI and I think they still have a purchasing plan for LEO.. Both Dept and Individual..base price without the Night Rider LE lights is 900-1200.. check and see if your dept impounds bikes like we do for no city lic or violations I would go to the impound every few weeks and strip bikes to be sold, for parts if I could find what I needed..PM me and I will give you my cell and we can Chat...get the RAPID fire shifters.. Stay away from GRIP SHIFT... you will be glad for THAT little Info...GRIP SHIFTS ARE A PAIN TO KEEP ADJUSTED...C-DALE had issues with the HEAD shock systems you need to be a CERTIFIED C-DALE mechanic to work on the damn things. I went through 5 head shocks in 2 years...90 bucks a pop...hope this helped PM me for more info...

TScottW99
09-13-2011, 00:01
My first patrol bike was a Raleigh. Loved it, rode it hard and it held up well. Too bad Raleigh quit making the LE bikes. My new bike is a Trek LE model. Love it! Very smooth! We were lucky and got ours for $700 at a Trek dealer a ways off. The local one wanted MSRP.

I would highly recommend the Trek!

scottydl
09-13-2011, 07:00
I've ridden just about all of the brands mentioned above, and have like some better than others... but really most of the "quality" mountain bike brands are similar for the casual user. Of course hard-core trail riders will have certain preferences, but police patrol doesn't really qualify as "tough" on mountain bikes. Most of the riding is done on streets and sidewalks.

Make sure you get semi-slick tires, gives you some traction off-road but GREATLY lessens rolling resistance on pavement... making a much smoother ride where you do most of your pedaling.

IIRC Fuji has one of the best police package deals out there right now. My old department rode Specialized bikes locally custom built for several years, but have now gone to the direct-order Fuji's because of the police deal.

Hack
09-13-2011, 07:45
If Raleigh builds LE bikes, that would be an excellent choice. Don't buy from something cheap.

PinkoCommie
09-13-2011, 09:04
We use Volcanic bikes (http://www.volcanicbikes.com/). They only make police patrol bikes. The bikes are a little on the heavy side, but darn near indestructible. Really well built, and made in the U.S.

DaBigBR
09-13-2011, 09:17
Still waiting to hear on what a Trek would actually run us street price from the bike shops here in town. Looks like Fuji police bikes, especially last year's models or the year before's can be had for $650 and on up.

Keep it coming.

collim1
09-13-2011, 17:11
I like Trek myself. Contact the Mfgr direct and see if they offer any discounts. Also shop around for some grant money. Bikes are considered "community friendly" and also environment friendly. Might be able to scrounge some money there.

DaBigBR
09-13-2011, 18:01
I like Trek myself. Contact the Mfgr direct and see if they offer any discounts. Also shop around for some grant money. Bikes are considered "community friendly" and also environment friendly. Might be able to scrounge some money there.

Local Trek dealers are holding tight at the MSRP ($1,250) and grants are not an option as 1) this would be individual officers purchasing bikes and 2) class is in two weeks. The instructor decided that he could do the class a week a go and set the dates. More notice would have been nice, but we're left with what we've got.

OXCOPS
09-13-2011, 18:09
When I was in charge of our bike unit, I bought Treks. At the time, the police bikes were the same as their general bikes, but with bag racks, and cost a lot more.

I bought the civilian bikes and outfitted them myself with lights, bags and racks from another company. In doing so, I saved a good $150-200 per bike.

As you know, cop bikes, like cop cars, get a lot more abuse than the average Joe's. Don't skimp on quality.

OXCOPS
09-13-2011, 18:11
Oh, if you are near a university, check to see if they have unclaimed bikes. The school here sells them cheap.

It kills me that kids will buy a $1500 bike for school, then just ditch it cause they have no way to get it home over the summer.

msu_grad_121
09-13-2011, 18:43
If you're just looking at ANY bike for the time being, just to get thru class, I'd recommend looking at the Specialized Hard Rock. The thing is darn near indestructable. I'm a total clyde and it held up under the abuse I threw at it. Can't give any higher praise than that.

If they would want to use those bikes after the class, then of course that's a different story.

bikerdog
09-19-2011, 15:56
My department has been runing the Fuji's for about five years now and the only complaint we have had is the rear sprocket on the bikes seems to break under the weight of some of the bigger officers.

DaBigBR
09-19-2011, 17:31
Probably a 90% chance that I'm doing the class and buying a Fuji. Our Sheriff's Office has a couple and they like them. The price is right on the bike and the OT earned by attending the class will pay for the bike.

A6Gator
09-20-2011, 15:10
Probably a 90% chance that I'm doing the class and buying a Fuji. Our Sheriff's Office has a couple and they like them. The price is right on the bike and the OT earned by attending the class will pay for the bike.

Might be another option:

http://www.******tactical.com/fu20posp.html

DaBigBR
09-20-2011, 18:05
Might be another option:

http://www.******tactical.com/fu20posp.html

That's mighty cheap, but I just don't trust ****** to deliver on something time sensitive.

A6Gator
09-20-2011, 19:13
That's mighty cheap, but I just don't trust ****** to deliver on something time sensitive.

That's the only downside to using them. Didn't know if they could turn the order around fast enough. My luck with them has been hit or miss.

DaBigBR
09-20-2011, 19:19
That's the only downside to using them. Didn't know if they could turn the order around fast enough. My luck with them has been hit or miss.

I'm definitely going to pass the link on to our bike guy so that he is aware of it for next year.

rock_jock
09-20-2011, 22:48
I do a lot of mountain and road bike riding. Just curious as to what constitutes a "police bicycle"? For the uninitiated, it sounds a little like the word "tactical" being used to sell everything on an AR.

BTW, I ride a Specialized Hard Rock and agree with the above poster. Also, if your city has many hills, I recommend the lightest bike that will hold up and meet your needs.

scottydl
09-21-2011, 11:26
I do a lot of mountain and road bike riding. Just curious as to what constitutes a "police bicycle"?

Along the same lines as any police package vehicle... for bikes it's usually a few upgraded components, certain tires, cargo rack, and maybe toe clips. Might also be pre-marked with "Police" on the frame. Not anything that an educated consumer couldn't do themselves as far as upgrades, and I think that someone mentioned above doing just that - buying the bike + components separately and saving money. These days though you'll probably do better on price buying the whole package, if you like the components that are included.

I FLEX
09-26-2011, 04:11
I do a lot of mountain and road bike riding. Just curious as to what constitutes a "police bicycle"? For the uninitiated, it sounds a little like the word "tactical" being used to sell everything on an AR.

BTW, I ride a Specialized Hard Rock and agree with the above poster. Also, if your city has many hills, I recommend the lightest bike that will hold up and meet your needs.

Another feature for Police bikes that is different from the common bike is the silent feature. You know when you coast without peddling, you can hear the sound of the hub and crank.

On the Trek Police bikes I've seen at my local bike shop, there is no sound when you coast. Good for rolling up to a scene when you need to be silent.

KCNUKE
10-17-2011, 20:03
thanks, now I wanna get a bike. Plan on getting it this winter/early spring and see about a class next year... Also plan on using it for off-duty exercise

rgregoryb
10-17-2011, 20:34
We used GT, C'dale, Trek.....lowest bidder. Usually the components are the same on all the bikes because we bought only the top tier bike. I did alot of the maintenance and found very little difference in name brand bikes. When I retired I bought myself a Trek 6700

DaBigBR
10-18-2011, 22:23
Forgot about this thread.

Ended up buying a Fuji and completed the course without issue. Rode the bike for twelve hours (1200-0000) last Saturday (plus I rode it home Friday night and in to work Saturday morning) and have to admit I've been enjoying it. The overtime earned taking the class paid for the bike for me, so it's a win-win.

APD
10-21-2011, 01:33
We got Fujis recently. Our prior bikes were Trek and we put a few THOUSAND miles on each. The Fujis were not welcomed but you know cops hate change.
My personal bike at home is a Specialized. I have yet to test out the new Fujis so I have no firsthand experience.

DaBigBR
10-21-2011, 03:13
We got Fujis recently. Our prior bikes were Trek and we put a few THOUSAND miles on each. The Fujis were not welcomed but you know cops hate change.
My personal bike at home is a Specialized. I have yet to test out the new Fujis so I have no firsthand experience.

I talked to a guy that works for the parking department at the university here. He used to be a reserve with our department, but couldn't commit the time. He rides a mountain bike (Trek Police) at his day job eight or nine months out of the year (he said that he'll go as low as 20 degrees before he pusses out). He put 3,500 miles on his bike just at work last year and is creeping up on 2,000 this year (which he called a "slow" year). Crazy. There have been years where I've probably not put a lot over 3,500 on my car. He broke the head tube clean off the frame going over a curb last year and Trek warrantied the frame, which was ten years old.