need help with school I need to see your agencies physcial fitness policy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need help with school I need to see your agencies physcial fitness policy

apphunter
09-12-2011, 13:46
Well the tittle says it all.

I am currently working patrol on day shift and pursuing my masters in Public Administration at night. I have two classes that I need a copy of different agencies' physical fitness policy. The first class is called field based research and is precursor to the second class which is called capstone and in essence is a 35 page research project. For the research methods class I have to create a new physical fitness policy and turn it into the chief and the school and hopefully it will be adopted because our policy is horrible and its enforcement is lacking. In other words we don't really have a physical fitness policy and it shows.

The research paper will be a basically be a qualitative analysis of our physical fitness policy and because is horrible I will be making suggestion to modify our policy. I would appreciate any help you can give.

If you are hesitant to provide this information please contact me via pm and I will forward you an email address to send the policy to and send you verification that I am actually law enforcement. I don't not foresee this as an issue because it is not sensitive information and is not procedural in nature.

Thanks in advance,

JD

nikerret
09-12-2011, 15:08
Here's a copy of our officail policy on the issue:

:whistling:

Here's our unofficial policy:

We can't afford to have a policy.

NoGlamour229
09-12-2011, 17:08
PM sent.

Cochese
09-14-2011, 03:39
No policy for patrol or detentions. SWAT and our MFF teams have an O course.

We suck as well.

boomhower
09-14-2011, 04:53
No police here as well. I think you'll find that to be quite common. The issue is cost. If you have a mandatory fitness requirement you are going to be on the hook for paid workouts and on the hook for any injuries sustained while working out. In the end it costs them more than it saves them. Some agencies have a monetary incentive for you to reach certain fitness goals and those seem pretty successful but in general a mandatory fitness requirement is exceedingly rare for LE.

Agent6-3/8
09-14-2011, 07:18
No policy with my previous gig either, although you were suppossed to get promotion points for doing the PT test at in-service. In practical application its a joke.

No police here as well. I think you'll find that to be quite common. The issue is cost. If you have a mandatory fitness requirement you are going to be on the hook for paid workouts and on the hook for any injuries sustained while working out. In the end it costs them more than it saves them. Some agencies have a monetary incentive for you to reach certain fitness goals and those seem pretty successful but in general a mandatory fitness requirement is exceedingly rare for LE.

This...

I had a talk with the academy PT/DT instructor on this subject once. It was his opinion that a policy requiring one to maintain a fitness stadard was more trouble than it was worth to the department. The gist I got was that the sue happy nature of our society has made it nearly impossible to have an on going fitness standard. How correct he is in his opinion I don't know, but I can see the point.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 09:11

The issue of paid workouts can be skirted by providing that employees can use department gym equipment on their meal break or for XXX minutes during a regular patrol shift, if you have the staff for it. The true issue will always be paying workman's comp claims for off-duty injuries that guys claim were related to preparing for the test. The issue there, in my eyes, is less worrying about people legitimately hurting themselves preparing, but some of the slugs and liars turning unrelated off-duty injuries in to comp claims that would be difficult and expensive to defend against.

Somebody mentioned a monetary incentive, and I think that's the way to do it...give them an extra day off or money for uniform items, or just plain cash, but make it very explicit that it's not a mandated activity and the department is not responsible for injuries sustained while preparing. Get a waiver from those participating. You may still lose your ass, but I think it would be less likely.

The downside obviously to elective participation is getting people motivated to do it. I have two thoughts on that: the administration and supervision need to lead by example and get their asses in shape and keep them in shape. Period. If you look at the LE administrators around here, all but one of them is 250+ pounds, with at least two well over three hundred pounds, and none of them carry that poundage "athletically". To catch them at a function together looks like the bariatric wing of a hospital. If you're admin and supervision can't cut it, your guys won't care.

My other thought is that a split system would be the easiest way to implement a program. Make it optional for all current hires, but pick a date and make everybody hired after that date comply. That way your in shape, recent academy grads are doing it. I would make a push towards getting your FTO cadre involved, too, since they're leading and teaching your new guys. It sounds rough, but I know of a department that banned all tobacco use in what I believe was a similar fashion. Pick a date, make it a rule for everybody hired after that date, create some token incentive for all hired before it, and let attrition take care of the rest.