Suppressor for home self defense weapon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor for home self defense weapon?

crash_gsxr750
09-12-2011, 19:55
Mas

MI has finally authorized citizen ownership of suppressors, for a strictly home defense weapon (mine is a G21) be seen as a bad thing by jurors

Do you know of any defensive uses of suppressors by citizens in other states?

Mas Ayoob
09-12-2011, 22:43
Never personally ran across a civilian self-defense shooting with a suppressor, Crash. There just aren't that many of them out there.

On the legal strategy side, if you're legal to own it there THEORETICALLY should be no problem with using it in legitimate self-defense. In practice, however, I've seen cases where the use of a legally owned full auto weapon brought grief on the user because of the prosecutor's perception/public perception that "machine guns" are indicative of terrorists, gangsters, or Rambo mentality. I'd expect to see the same attitude toward "silencers."

From the tactical side, it certainly makes sense not to use something that may cause you permanent hearing loss. However, chrono your ammo through the suppressor; some suppressor/ammo combinations reduce velocity.

best,
Mas

crash_gsxr750
09-13-2011, 04:01
Mas

As always thank you

I figured hollywood has demonized suppressors and that negative connotation could would affect a jury, however, the thought of touching off a 9mm or .45 in a 3' x 8' drywall lined hallway makes my ears hurt just thinking about it.

And thank you about the heads up of speed loss I hadn't read that in my initial search about suppressor info