Hard drive verification [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive verification

eaglefrq
09-12-2011, 20:26
I want to verify that if you take a HD out of one computer that is running XP and plug it into another computer running XP it should recognize the new HD. So you will have a C and D drive.

There is no need to reformat or anything correct?

Detectorist
09-12-2011, 20:37
In general, yes. it will get assigned the next available drive letter. Some drives have an extra partition for recovery, so it might get assigned F or something.

eaglefrq
09-12-2011, 20:40
In general, yes. it will get assigned the next available drive letter. Some drives have an extra partition for recovery, so it might get assigned F or something.

That's what I was thinking. Any data on the "new" HD will still be available?

HerrGlock
09-13-2011, 07:04

Unless there is damage to the filesystem or it's encrypted.

Linux3
09-13-2011, 12:19
Data yes.
Applications, no.

Drjones
09-13-2011, 12:37
are the drives SATA or IDE? Do they have a bunch of pins & a wide ribbon connector cable, or two small, neat-looking plugs in the back?

If it's SATA, then just plug & play, if it's IDE, it's a little more involved of a process.

eaglefrq
09-13-2011, 14:00
are the drives SATA or IDE? Do they have a bunch of pins & a wide ribbon connector cable, or two small, neat-looking plugs in the back?

If it's SATA, then just plug & play, if it's IDE, it's a little more involved of a process.

I couldn't tell you, it's my parents. My mom's PC died, but the HD is fine. They want to take the HD out and put it in my dad's PC. As long as the ribbon strip connects, then the computer should recognize the new HD.

Their main concern would be losing any data on the existing HD or the new HD. I told them as long as it connects then it should read the new HD and assign it the next letter drive available and any data (pictures, word files, etc...) on there should be able to be recovered.

havensal
09-14-2011, 18:41
Perfect opportunity to get an external case for the old drive and after data is pulled off you have backup storage. Win win

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine