Good backup USB drive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good backup USB drive?

Detectorist
09-12-2011, 20:39
What are some good brands/models out there. I've heard about so many problems with some that I thought it best to ask the folks who are up to date on this.

Appreciate the help.

Linux3
09-13-2011, 12:18
I have 3 WD (Western Digital) drives and never a problem.
Seagate's have been trouble prone. Mostly with problems with them spinning down when not in use.

Don't know about any others.
I only buy WD.

Drjones
09-13-2011, 12:36
Seagate first, then Western Digital.

JimmyN
09-13-2011, 17:13
There is no best brand, all of them are good, yet all of them will fail.

A Seagate Barricuda has 6800 tracks per inch, so the heads have to be able to produce or discern 6800 individual magnetic fields within an inch of space, and get it right every time.

Add to that the fact that the read/write heads will be at an angle on the inner and outer tracks and it's amazing they work at all. Mechanically it doesn't seem possible, and I've always thought there must be some voodoo involved in the manufacture of hard drives. So when the spell wears off the drive just quits functioning.

Pierre!
09-13-2011, 22:10
Get a drive with a 5 year warranty - you will pay more, but you can at least swap out the drive for 5 years.

Then get a Hard Drive Dock Station or Caddy. I have 2 - One Rosewill, one Thermaltake. Get the models that include BOTH eSATA and USB - When you have eSATA available, it *really* is significantly faster!

The Thermaltake is in a box getting ready to be swapped out (that's one reason there are 2 in the house). The RMA was falling off a log easy, and done entirely online, no questions asked. Problem is the power switch has failed, and I just don't like pulling the power on a spinning drive unless I have to!

The Thermaltake was more expensive - around $32, the Rosewill around $28 or so... They both work great, and it's the most expandable drive arrangement you can get *for the price*!

More about this arrangement can be read here:
Backup Storage Inexpensive, Expandable, Portable, and Flexible! (http://seeberconsultblog.com/backup-storage-inexpensive-expandable-portable-and-flexible/)

Hope that helps you out!
Patrick

Drjones
09-13-2011, 22:29
There is no best brand, all of them are good, yet all of them will fail.

Best advice so far, very true.

FWIW, I've replaced more samsung & hitachi drives than anything, hence my recommendation for Seagate or Western Digital.

Whatever you do, BACK UP YOUR STUFF.

Add to that the fact that the read/write heads will be at an angle on the inner and outer tracks and it's amazing they work at all. Mechanically it doesn't seem possible, and I've always thought there must be some voodoo involved in the manufacture of hard drives. So when the spell wears off the drive just quits functioning.

Very well said. :cool:

GIockGuy24
09-14-2011, 01:29
I believe Seagate recently quit their 5 year drives, so they are all 3 year drives now unless you find an older one still for sale. I like to buy a USB case and a separate drive. Sometimes something will fail but the drive is still readable when put inside a computer instead hooked up using USB. There are also server drives that are a bit more expensive than usual but are designed to stand up to being run 24 hours, so they should be a bit tougher.