Digital scale? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Digital scale?

O2BShooting
09-13-2011, 17:22
Pulled my scale out of the safe today so that I could load up some 9mm for the weekend. Put fresh batteries in and pushed the power button and nothing. Tried different batteries same story. Called the manufacturer and since it's over a year old "nothing they could do." This is my third scale and I'm wondering if I need to start storing them in the house. Currently I've had them in the garage in the safe. We've had 100+ weather for over three months and I'm wondering if that's what's killing them.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
O2B

unclebob
09-13-2011, 17:46
I think I would find a different scale, if you have already gone through 3 of them. Plus I would get one that does not use batteries. I would also not store it in the garage.

Colorado4Wheel
09-13-2011, 17:55
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//Dillon-Web-Cat_0046_m.jpg

Also, never store a scale long term with the batteries in it.

alank2
09-13-2011, 18:09
Hi O2B,

I've had my RCBS 750 stored in the garage for a couple of years now (battery in it) and it is still working.

What type of scales are these? You have 3 dead scales?

If you don't have a use for them, I would like them for an electronics experiment I want to do using load cells. I'd be willing to pay shipping. I might even be able to get one working for you and could ship it back if I got it working...

Thanks,

Alan

XDRoX
09-13-2011, 18:22
Buy once, cry once with digital scales.

njl
09-13-2011, 18:34

That's what I bought when I realized my Lyman digital could not be trusted.

unclebob
09-13-2011, 18:42
The most important piece of reloading equipment that you buy is not the press or the dies itís the scale. It could mean the difference of a nice day at the range, to having buying a new gun.
Beam scales go bad also.

njl
09-13-2011, 18:47
That may be...but while my Lyman digital is an out of warranty paper weight / digital approximator, if the Dillon Eliminator ever gives me serious problems, Dillon will take care of it.

unclebob
09-13-2011, 18:55
That may be...but while my Lyman digital is an out of warranty paper weight / digital approximator, if the Dillon Eliminator ever gives me serious problems, Dillon will take care of it.

All of Dillon electronic equipment only has a one year warranty. Read the little blue box on page 4 of The Blue Press.

Colorado4Wheel
09-13-2011, 18:57
All of Dillon electronic equipment only has a one year warranty. Read the little blue box on page 4 of The Blue Press.

Dillon Eliminator is the Beam Scale. So it has the Lifetime warranty.

unclebob
09-13-2011, 19:05
Just trying to straighten out that some people might think that the digital scale has a life time warranty.

njl
09-13-2011, 19:08
Dillon Eliminator is the Beam Scale. So it has the Lifetime warranty.

Yeah...not much electronics in the Eliminator...unless you install one of those fluorescent lighting kits underneath it.

Boxerglocker
09-13-2011, 19:10
IMHO either will work just a matter of personal preference. Regardless of which you choose neither are being used to their full potential without a set of these...

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/612/612694.jpg

PhantomF4E
09-13-2011, 19:21
Heat and humidity are not a friend of electronics. Generally corrosion at the battery contacts is the killer. Take the batteries out when you are gonna store them? Do they have an a/c adapter plug ? try that ?

WiskyT
09-13-2011, 19:32
My car is chock full of electronics and it is exposed to worse conditons than the OP's scale and they work fine. I think it's a question of quality.

Colorado4Wheel
09-13-2011, 19:38
Cars are designed for that. Reloading scales are not.

IndyGunFreak
09-14-2011, 06:05

Also, never store a scale long term with the batteries in it.

I'm still trying to figure out where to put the batteries.. :). Given the OP's issues, this seems like a no brainer to me.

Beam scales go bad also.

Beam scales typically only go bad from abuse. Knock it off the bench, drop it, bend it, etc. If the scale is not abused, it should really never be a problem. If by chance something does happen, if you get one w/ a lifetime warranty(Eliminator or the RCBS 505), just ship it back and get it fixed.

unclebob
09-14-2011, 06:45
Beam scales typically only go bad from abuse. Knock it off the bench, drop it, bend it, etc. If the scale is not abused, it should really never be a problem. If by chance something does happen, if you get one w/ a lifetime warranty(Eliminator or the RCBS 505), just ship it back and get it fixed.

Sorry I had an Ohaus Dial-0-Grain that was not abused. A friend of mine also has a Ohaus that looks like the Eliminator and it also was bad. He thought his Ohaus was right and his Dillon Terminator was wrong. If I had not taken two of his rounds and pulled them apart and weighted the charge he probably would still be using the beam scale. He also went out and bought a set of check weights.
For those that do not know check weights and calibration weights that come with the scale are two different things. Calibration weights are to calibrate the scale. Check weights are to make sure the scale is reading the weight you put on the scale.

Colorado4Wheel
09-14-2011, 08:05
My Dillon Eliminator is spot on for my check weights. My digital is about .05gr off. A beam is not like a digital. It doesn't spit out "3.25gr" . It just has a pointer. A digital has to decide if that 3.25gr is going to register as 3.3 or 3.2. That .05gr is not important but its one of those things you don't even know is happening with out check weigths. This is why some people have scales that don't match.

biggun1911
09-14-2011, 08:40
I leave my Dillon digital scale in the garage stored with batteries in. I have had no problems. I have had it for several years. I tend to buy from Dillon because in my experience they sell good equipment. I have never been disappointed.

I will add that my first Dillon digital scale quit working and Dillon replaced it. This was before they stopped the lifetime warranty on electronics.

fredj338
09-14-2011, 09:33

This is true, but they will repalce it for 50%. I had a first gen Dillon Term. Ran great for about 6yr then started drifting. Dillon replaced it w/ the current version, runs great, always zeros fast & holds the zero perfectly. It's now 4yrs old, so we'll see. IMO, there are no deals in dig scale, cheap as cheap does. Go Dillon, RCBS or maybe the new Hornady, but I haven;t tried one. A good beam scale is a nice backup for when the elec gear goes bad. Yes the beam can go bad, but rare.

O2BShooting
09-14-2011, 13:59
Thank you for all of the replies.

I did not store the scale with batteries in it. Upon reading my post I can see where the confusion is coming from.

The scales were from a name brand company. I was just wondering if others were having issues with storing scales in places that might not have ideal temperatures.

Since I wasn't able to load I guess no range for me this weekend unless I go .22 only.

Thanks again.

fredj338
09-14-2011, 16:57
Thank you for all of the replies.

I did not store the scale with batteries in it. Upon reading my post I can see where the confusion is coming from.

The scales were from a name brand company. I was just wondering if others were having issues with storing scales in places that might not have ideal temperatures.

Since I wasn't able to load I guess no range for me this weekend unless I go .22 only.

Thanks again.
FWIW, mine is in the garage & on a power chord. It could be the batteries are causing damage if you are NOT using the unit often enough.

Colorado4Wheel
09-14-2011, 19:58
I can't imagine risking batteries weeping on your nice scale. Batteries are know to do that.

cole
09-15-2011, 16:14
... Any input would be appreciated...

Get a beam scale. Seriously, how many of us really shoot precision loads in a gun that truly requires a digitally precise measurement of our powder charge? And, if you use a progressive press, IMO, a digital scale is a total waste of $ as inherent powder drop variations negate its precision. YMMV.

njl
09-15-2011, 16:22
The reason to go digital isn't so much precision as speed. Drop powder on the scale, it gives you a number. No fiddling with sliding weights. Trouble is, they're much more complex than a beam scale which means more ways to go wrong and start giving bogus numbers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cole
09-15-2011, 20:01
The reason to go digital isn't so much precision as speed. Drop powder on the scale, it gives you a number. No fiddling with sliding weights. Trouble is, they're much more complex than a beam scale which means more ways to go wrong and start giving bogus numbers.

I disagree with this when using a progressive press. I check once every 100-200 rounds and often reload in 300-600 round increments. That's me. Once set, a quality beam scale is correct and faster (in actual application) in my experience.

njl
09-15-2011, 20:27
I disagree with this when using a progressive press. I check once every 100-200 rounds and often reload in 300-600 round increments. That's me. Once set, a quality beam scale is correct and faster (in actual application) in my experience.

When adjusting the powder measure, and weighing a bunch of charges a bunch of times while trying to get it dialed to exactly where you want it, digital is faster.

Colorado4Wheel
09-15-2011, 20:30
I use my digital to weight bullets and my beam to weight powder charges. I like how the Beam stays set to your choosen charge. You can look at the beam and say "Yep I am loading 3.2 grs" Every once in a while you measure a charge. I seldom have to change the beams actual poises to do this.

cole
09-15-2011, 20:39
When adjusting the powder measure, and weighing a bunch of charges a bunch of times while trying to get it dialed to exactly where you want it, digital is faster.

Not for me. I hold the beam centered at the scale end then add the powder. It centers very quickly, or won't move at all when the charge is on. Once the beam is set, as long as it's not moved, it's set. It won't turn off or do anything weird requiring recheck. And, put the beam scale in roughly the same location on the bench and it's pretty much always set right off. I don't care how much off (up or down) the charge is as I just care that it's on. A beam scale is a simple, reliable "go, no-go" deal. So a digital scale really has no benefit IMO for charge weight with a progressive. I buy powder in 8lb kegs and bullets in >10k lots so don't fiddle much with loads that work, or the press as a result. Different strokes...