Is federal 40s&w brass really that bad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is federal 40s&w brass really that bad?

kasper7106
09-13-2011, 19:54
I just read the sticky about good and bad brass and saw that federal FC 40s&w was junk. Are they really junk and what is the difference between good and bad brass. The reason I ask is that I have been saving my brass for about a year and loading for about 2 months now and my 40s&w brass is roughly 85% Federal.

Colorado4Wheel
09-13-2011, 19:57
Current Federal Brass is stamped Federal not FC.

Tpro
09-13-2011, 20:00
Federal brass is 100% TRASH. It is the #1 reason for Glock .40 KaBooms. It is truly garbage.

Luckily for you, I do have an FFL and can dispose of whatever quantity you need to get rid of. And I am currently running a special. Usually I charge $15.00/100 to dispose of them. Right now (until 9/29/2020) I will get rid of them, FREE OF CHARGE.

Just PM me for my shipping address and we can get them coming my way.

Dang, you were close to hurting yourself. Aren't you glad I came along?:whistling::tongueout:

DannyB
09-13-2011, 20:03
I don't bother sorting my brass. But I know that there is a lot of Federal mixed in and I have never had an issue with any brass of any brand.

Colorado4Wheel
09-13-2011, 20:32
Just so you know Federal changed it FC brass (which was bad) The Federal brass is thicker.

kasper7106
09-13-2011, 20:44
I thought the FC stood for Federal Champion witch is mostly what this brass is purchased from wally world

justinsaneok
09-13-2011, 20:52
Brass stamped FC = BAD Brass stamped FEDERAL = GOOD
Wally worlds stamp = FEDERAL

albyihat
09-13-2011, 21:03
If your brass is stamped FC do not reload it for the .40 all other cal. are fine (I think). I have heard rumors of bad federal brass stamped FC in .40. The stuff stamped FEDERAL is fine or at the least it has not KB'd my glock. Just passing on internet lore enjoy.

creophus
09-14-2011, 11:28
Never had an issue with 40 cal brass from Federal. Now .308 Federal brass is GARBAGE!!! I had the worst experience using Federal Gold Medal Match brass in .308.

nitesite10mm
09-14-2011, 11:44
The folks at Federal will not admit or deny that FC brass is/was a problem. I had a couple of rather tense phone calls with them about some 10mm brass and they wouldn't even discuss it civilly until I agreed to ship them several dozen samples at my expense for them to examine. Then and only then would they let me call back and discuss my concers with them.

I have no knowledge of .40S&W FC brass being bad, but I don't load my 180-gr bullets beyond about 900-fps with medium burn powders.

The FC .223 brass has notoriously soft primer pockets which enlarge after just a couple of firings. Usually after just two reloads the case is unuseable because of loose primers.

D. Manley
09-14-2011, 13:03
Just so you know Federal changed it FC brass (which was bad) The Federal brass is thicker.

I've not checked to see if it's actually thicker (and, it well may be) but nonetheless and as Steve said, brass marked "Federal" is just fine and in fact, is essentially the same as Speer and CCI brass. As to the prior problems with "FC" marked brass, even then the problems were not universal. Some calibers' brass of the FC era were fine, others problematic.

El_Ron1
09-14-2011, 13:15
The folks at Federal will not admit or deny that FC brass is/was a problem.

I had a completely different experience with them. Years after purchase, I inspected a bunch of duty ammo and found about 12 boxes of .40S&W where the FC brass had been used.

With one call, I was issued an RMA for the return of the old ammo, which was then replaced at a 2 new to 1 old box ratio. They picked up the tab for shipping both ways as well. Everything was smooth and professional.

It was a few years ago, so I can't provide names, but that's how it went down for me. The engineer also verified at the time that it was only the .40 S&W ammunition manufactured with FC brass that they were interested in getting out of circulation. Everything else was fine.

fredj338
09-14-2011, 13:23
I don't find Federal brass of any flavor, rifle or pistol, "good" brass. It is soft, primer pockets enlarge w/ even moderate loads. I have seen several case head blowouts & excessive stretching, all marked Federal. So I use it, but only in low pressure applications & don't mind leaving it behind.

WiskyT
09-14-2011, 14:19
The old FC 40 brass is NFG. I had some find it's way in my brass. I didn't discover it until I had my first and only case seperation. I now screen my 40 brass. This happened about two years ago, so it is still floating around.

DWARREN123
09-14-2011, 14:22
Never had a problem with it but I like and use only R-P or Winchester nowadays in 40 S&W. R-P is my number1 choice. :supergrin:

GIockGuy24
09-15-2011, 15:59
The SAAMI specs call for thinner cases than what American companies now make. The original cases were made to SAAMI specs with the Federal cases being the weakest / softest. The Glock chamber were at the maximum limits in size. Some of the Federal cases would fail in the Glock chambers and the other brands would bulge quite a bit. Federal recalled the old ammunition and started making thicker cases which became the strongest 40 S&W cases. All of the other American ammunition companies followed with thicker cases but did not recall their older 40 S&W ammunition. Winchester developed 40 S&W and the thin cases were suppose to maximize case capacity. A lot of 9mm based pistols had difficultly feeding the 40 S&W cartridge and chambers were made larger than what had originally been expected in order to help feeding.