Pulling the stick without lube? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the stick without lube?

justinsaneok
09-13-2011, 20:56
I had a bottle of One shot sitting on the shelf for 6 months and never used it because I have carbide dies. :wow: I had know idea what I was missing. Anyone else never use the lube?

Boxerglocker
09-13-2011, 21:23
Once you've used HOS for pistol brass, you'll never go back to not doing so again. :cool:

Zombie Steve
09-13-2011, 21:40
What a thread title. Where's Koski?

njl
09-13-2011, 21:40
I have an unused can of HOS that I must have bought around 2 years ago. We had some left-over Lansinoh, and I've been using that for pistol brass lube. A little goes a long long way...so I probably have a many years supply. I guess I could try the HOS...it might be easier to apply...but probably a lot more expensive.

Boxerglocker
09-13-2011, 22:02
I have an unused can of HOS that I must have bought around 2 years ago. We had some left-over Lansinoh, and I've been using that for pistol brass lube. A little goes a long long way...so I probably have a many years supply. I guess I could try the HOS...it might be easier to apply...but probably a lot more expensive.

A $7 can lasted me over 30K rounds.... a little goes a long way. I place my brass on a old baking cookie sheet, quick and light sweep spray, roll a little, one minute dry, then load the case feeder.

CitizenOfDreams
09-13-2011, 22:36
No reason to use lubricant with carbide dies and straight wall rounds.

Boxerglocker
09-13-2011, 22:57

None other than a personal preference for easier and more consistent sizing, less fatigue on the operator and a smoother running press. Like, I said earlier...

Once you've used HOS for pistol brass, you'll never go back to not doing so again. :cool:

thorn137
09-13-2011, 23:04
It isn't necessary, but in my experience (9mm, 44mag), it does make the press run quite a lot smoother.

thorn

Zombie Steve
09-13-2011, 23:27
Where you been hiding, Thorn?

El_Ron1
09-14-2011, 00:17
I run a couple lubed cases every 10 when using carbide. Speeds and smooths things up.

Colorado4Wheel
09-14-2011, 06:42
We don't need lots of things but some of those things we don't need sure are nice.

DoctaGlockta
09-14-2011, 06:51
I was hoping that this thread was about loading lead bullets that don't have lube on them. I have had a few from MBC and have been wondering if I should load them naked or color in the lube groove with some blue crayola. :dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
09-14-2011, 07:53
Just load them. There is lube left in the barrel from the previos bullet.

DoctaGlockta
09-14-2011, 11:00
Just load them. There is lube left in the barrel from the previos bullet.
I figured that would be the case. Thanks Steve.

ron59
09-14-2011, 14:34
I quickly found with .45ACP that lube helped a LOT!! I used the same lube with my 9mm... not enough difference for me to worry about ??

The lube I use is Steve's formula of the Lee lube (paste) mixed with alcohol. It takes some time to "mash" the paste so it mixes in with the liquid, but it dries with no residue. Worked wonders for my .45, used it once with 9mm and now I don't even bother. My 9mm resizes pretty much like butter as it is.

justinsaneok
09-14-2011, 14:44
Luber for life. It's nice to know I don't need it if I'm out. It makes me relax physically when loading and I loaded a few hundred rounds without my back getting all twisted up now. Before after 100 or so if I exhaled deep my whole upper back would crack and feel like hell.

GioaJack
09-14-2011, 14:51
I suppose you people even put oil in your truck engines. Flatland wussies.

Jack

justinsaneok
09-14-2011, 15:07
I suppose you people even put oil in your truck engines. Flatland wussies.

Jack

Yes you got me there Jack I even use synthetic and change it regularly.:rofl:
Coming from the guy who BROKE his back with a LUBER.:tongueout:

justinsaneok
09-14-2011, 15:16
BTW Jack I took you advice on mounting a woman instead of my press. My daughter will be born on January 16th . :faint:

njl
09-14-2011, 15:57

You don't need electricity or indoor plumbing either, but they sure make life easier.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GioaJack
09-14-2011, 16:03
BTW Jack I took you advice on mounting a woman instead of my press. My daughter will be born on January 16th . :faint:

And you consider that an accomplishment? It simply proves that now there are two things you can't load without unintended consequences. :whistling:

CONGRATULATIONS! :baby:

Jack

justinsaneok
09-14-2011, 16:35
Unintended consequences are how most of the greatest things in the world came to be.
Gunpowder for one. It was discovered in the 9th century while searching for immortality.

Thanks Jack! I think I will name her Liberty. It has a nice ring to it.

thorn137
09-14-2011, 20:04
Where you been hiding, Thorn?

Heya hi :)

Still alive, just been out of the game for a long time. I moved to Florida last year, and just now got my press set up again... haven't been shooting since last August either, but hopefully the "coming soon" indoor range will be opening within a few weeks. If I don't get some range time soon, you'll probably see a few new articles featuring drywall penetration tests recorded in my living room.

Oh! Bullet lube: I use the lanolin/99% alcohol mix. I think it's a 1:5 ratio, but it's out there on the internet somewhere. Just a quick misting, then tumble the finished rounds about 5-10 mins to clean the lube off.

(Cue the sound of someone shouting a warning about tumbling live rounds)

I've also tried Mobil-One... or maybe it was non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Not sure. But neither seemed to work too well. Neither does that "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" pump spray.

thorn

Zombie Steve
09-14-2011, 22:11
Anyone tried vagisil?

njl
09-14-2011, 22:19
Anyone tried vagisil?

What exactly are you trying to lube?

norton
09-15-2011, 05:28
Lube really smooths out press operations on .45Colt cases.

norton
09-15-2011, 05:36
Off topic. If you haven't noticed my new avatar photo.
Took it at Grissom Air base museum in Peru In. If you ever drive past the air base near the little town of Bunker Hill on Highway 31, you can see the planes on static display from the highway. Stop in. For a small donation, they have a museum with artifacts inside the building, and a number of US Air Force planes out in the field, from WW2 and up. Grissom at one time was an active air base, I remember going there as a kid on the one weekend a year the base was open to civilians. Saw the B-58 Hustler Bomber (which was based there) as well as the KC 135 tanker jets. My Wife lived within 25 miles of the base on a farm and in the summer you would often see A-10's flying overhead doing mock runs.
Ok, back on topic. Did someone mention vagisil?