You guys made me join the SPX club [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : You guys made me join the SPX club

megawatt
09-13-2011, 22:53
I had been looking at the Mossy 930SPX for about six months. I visit this subsection often and have read many topics of how people have been very happy with the performance. Able to shoot heavy and light loads without adjustments to the gas system and a quality gun for the price I knew I would eventually purchase my fourth 12 ga shotgun.

Well today I paid $655 out the door for a new SPX. Its nice to be able to find a semi auto gas gun for less than a grand.

mixflip
09-14-2011, 01:42
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean it before you go out shooting. I have heard folks have issues with too much packing grease. A tech at the factory may have had a bad day and put too much you never know? Plus its a great time to inspect it before you shoot it.

I just made a new video on the 930spx. Its about "LOCTITE". I lost my $100 LPA ghost ring rear sight out in the desert. Make sure you use loctite (blue removable) so you dont suffer my fate. It gave me a good reason to buy a red dot though.lol

DHSGMAN
09-14-2011, 15:49
From the original SPX fan, welcome to the famndamily.

My 930 http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/930009.jpg, not to much crap on it, just the bare essentials.

megawatt
09-14-2011, 19:07
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean it before you go out shooting. I have heard folks have issues with too much packing grease. A tech at the factory may have had a bad day and put too much you never know? Plus its a great time to inspect it before you shoot it.

I just made a new video on the 930spx. Its about "LOCTITE". I lost my $100 LPA ghost ring rear sight out in the desert. Make sure you use loctite (blue removable) so you dont suffer my fate. It gave me a good reason to buy a red dot though.lol

I will have a couple days with the gun before I can head out to the range so will be able to make time to break it down and see what the grease situation is. I have seen your vids, nicely done.

DHSGMAN - I like the minimal approach also.

mdfd
09-15-2011, 10:18
welcome to many years of fun semi-auto SG shooting!

captcurly
09-15-2011, 15:17
Congrats and good luck with the new weapon. I have had mine since Mar.2009 and love it. It is a great shooter and easy to handle. Again, welcome and good luck with the SPX.

megawatt
09-15-2011, 16:37
Hot damn, just got the call the gun was received at the shop. Going to pick it up now.

ScrappyDoo
09-16-2011, 12:59
Congratulations brother... you will be so happy, it's the favorite firearm I have, best decision I made... Oh yeah baby!

The tips I can offer are what a LOT of ppl will tell you- Don't buy into the hype ppl often post about Mossberg and Glock a lot, I see other brands but especially Mossberg and GLock, "Don't bother don't do nothin to it, take it out the box loadit and shoot it, 'she's amossberg!!!')

That is stupid- You absolutely just want to take it down, and give it a nice cleaning, the more thorough the better but I'm not talking a single dry patch down the barrel and go boom boom. I did a real good cleaning.... If yuou're looking for the least work, at the very least get a can of breakfree CLP or Remington spray cleaning chemicals, and just spray the whole thing down inside outside everywhere, let it soak and get it all rubbed.. Patches, an old t-shirt, a toothbrush on some parts, a bore snake, patches on a rod with the brush, whatever you got. You cleaning it makes a HUGE DIFFERNCE... almost all the stories i've read of ppl with problerms later admit they didn't clean it or did not do a good job.

So you clean it real good and lube it some, ... That lube could be the CLP only, (as long as you didn't be stingy and clean it good) .. it could be Remington Dry-spray-lube to go along with the cleaning chemicals (Those are good, One can has a bright green top, other bright yellow top, they are like the Jogn Deere colors)... or even some drops of Hoppe's oil (which is more oily, thicker, like a real Gun oil) or Remington RemOil w/ Teflon, this is real real light oil, clear, it evaporates often and disappears but it supposedly builds up teflon coating on a molecular level so i like that since it adds up and smoothes over time.

You cleaned and oiled your gun, now the initial break in you want to shoot as much 00 Buck as you can afford/handle. I basically use/buy 'Winchester Super X 00 Buck' 15 packs from Walmart, which are usually 15 packs for $9.xx in change, less than 10. Use at LEAST one whole box, maybe two . the full power charge of 00 Buck to break it in kind of just sets it in motion, if you will. Then go blast away cheap birdshot/target loads to continue the break in . It makeks a huge difference.

I personally did this: I thoroughly cleaned my brand new M930SPX and lubed. Went to the range the next day, shot a 15 pack 00 Buck, then about 50 rounds or more of Federal 7 1/2 2 3/4" tasrget loads, value bpack at Walmart for $23 bucks, 100 rfounds, thats their worse price. So oI did the 15 00 buck, 50 (two 25-rd boxes) of the target loads. I went home and cleaned the gun again, nice and good. Cleaned it real nice, lubed it, went back the next day. Started with another 15 pk -00 Buck, and at least another 2 25rd target load packs, and i've been perfect ever since!

When I go to the range, I like to start out with about a 'setup'-full of -- Buck, by that I mean, my SPX is a jersey gun so it holds 5+1, I like to shoot at LEAST one 'setup' of that, which means my gun is set when its full 5 rounds 00 Buck in the Tube, 1 00 Buck in the pipe. If I have extrea 00 Bucks in my stahs I shoot them, then I shoot my target loads/bulk value pack loads for fun. I have NEVER EVER had a single problem with my M930SPX, and that is including the fact I had to get a new Magazine extension, (for NJ legality, a New spring, I use a new Choate follower for stability intead of the factory little wussy nub follower, and again not ONE SINGLE PROBLEM ever. 100 % reliability.

And I firmly believe its absolutely because, I cleaned it and broke it in "properly" , and I clean it and 'break it in' properly before and after each usage... And that to me is the KEY, if eveeyone does that It will be fine for them.

And of course pay special attention to here, there are some absolute pro's on the M930SPX on this forum, I literally bought mine cause of the way people described and thrived with theirs, andhen they tought me the ins and outs of it...so much expertise.

megawatt
09-16-2011, 14:04
Just got back from the range. This morning after waking up I did break the gun down to take a look. I did not find ANY excessive amount of grease anywhere. Couple of things I looked for :

Was the front sight on straight - check.
Magazine tube - straight and no burrs on inside
Tube spring - 35.5" and uniform
Rear sight - moved forward one notch and blue loctite added

No surprises found, no missing pieces, everything looked fit to fight so I just put it back together, no cleaning, just four drops of breakfree added to trigger assembly and to slider rails then I packed up the car and headed out.

Every handgun and rifle I ever had has always been a take it out of the box "as is" and shot, its just how I do things. However, because of the many SPX issues of the years back during the first two generations and grease issues of lately I took a look before shooting (which is generally a good thing to do anyway, my 590A1 was missing a forearm retainer ring straight from the factory that I found out when I was shooting it).

I packed my 590A1 for some comparison shooting today but it was a SPX day at the range for the most part. The ammo I brought was for a fun day at the range, not because I believe it is necessary for a couple hundred rounds for proper breaking the first time out.

I took lead birdshot, steel birdshot, low recoil 00B, high velocity 00B, and high velocity slugs. 100 rounds was birdshot and the other 100 rounds was a mix of 00B and slugs. It was a mix of Winchester, Rio, and Estate manufactured ammo.

A pic half way thru shooting the heavy shells and to cool down the barrel and my shoulder.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/joe800mw/guns/IMG_0432-1.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/joe800mw/guns/IMG_0425.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/joe800mw/guns/IMG_0419.jpg

As hard as I tried to find a fault with the SPX I could not! I loaded the tube with a mix of high brass, slug, 00B, low brass in every imaginable configuration and it never had a problem. Slug, slug, bird shot, birdshot, 00B, slug, 00B etc, it did not make a difference, the SPX kept going. I fired and reloaded until the barrel was too hot to touch, no issues.

The SPX is the same LOP as the 590A1 but it shouldered much better. I can only guess the longer and heavier A1 barrel makes that much of a difference. Overall very satisfied and ready for my two day shotgun class next week. The SPX sights are top notch and I like the positive clicks on adjustment. I prefer the A1 rear peep sight diameter better but the SPX sights are of a much higher quality. I already have the GG&G single point sling attachment ordered and I really don't see much else added to my SPX. The 590A1 is an absolute workhorse that is overbuilt and can't be broken and the SPX is a lighter, shorter, fire breathing no nonsence piece of comfort, glad I have them both.

Another satisfied owner here in Sin City.

megawatt
09-16-2011, 14:05
Just wanted to thank all the guys for the replies and info added to this topic.