Widow of officer killed by "firendly fire" sues city/officer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Widow of officer killed by "firendly fire" sues city/officer

Agent6-3/8
09-14-2011, 07:00
http://www.wsaz.com/charleston/headlines/NEW_INFO_Charleston_Police_Officers_Widow_Sues_City_in_Her_Husbands_Death.html

I had just been hired when the shooting occurred. We watched the dash cam footage during the academy. Very sad event all around. I'm not surprised that the widow is suing the city, but I can't help but have mixed feeling about the officer being included in the suit.

BSA70
09-14-2011, 07:21
Unless there was major negligence, she needs to let it go. This is a very dangerous job with many dangers that can get us. That's what we signed up for....

Mayhem like Me
09-14-2011, 07:34
I would have to see some crime scene recreation before I could pass judgement on who/what is a fault here.
Is it possible that the city had bad training/ enegligent retention that contributed to this? Yes it is.
Is it Possible for the deceased to have made a bad judgement as well? Absolutely. Without a comprehensive look at their trianing, stop tactics , policy and individual positioning at the crime scene non of us can make that call.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 08:52
http://www.wsaz.com/charleston/headlines/NEW_INFO_Charleston_Police_Officers_Widow_Sues_City_in_Her_Husbands_Death.html

I had just been hired when the shooting occurred. We watched the dash cam footage during the academy. Very sad event all around. I'm not surprised that the widow is suing the city, but I can't help but have mixed feeling about the officer being included in the suit.

You always name the officer. Any liability by the officer should be covered by the employer under qualified immunity.

Agent6-3/8
09-14-2011, 09:04
This, IMO this was a very, very sad case of a LODD caused by the fog of war. Officer Jones was the lead car in a pursuit involving a pickup wanted in connection with something earlier in the evening. (hit and run I believe) As the BG attempted to turn around in a wide spot on a 2-lane black top, other units blocked him from the front. Jones blocked the truck from the passenger side rear corner. (about the 4:00 position or so) As officers approached from the front (10:00-ish) the truck the BG threw it into gear and attempted to take off again, striking one cruiser, as I recall. Shots were fired and Jones was struck, as he exited his cruiser.

I didn't know him personally, but from this I know that did, Jones was a squared away officer and Marine. I don't know what else to say besides it sucks to survive a couple tours in the sandbox only to be accidentally killed by one of your own on a dark country road.... :crying:

One thing I'll never forget was him commenting about the pursiut being "boring" about 2 min before he was killed...

You always name the officer. Any liability by the officer should be covered by the employer under qualified immunity.

Yea, thats what I figured, but it still upsets me a little.

mixflip
09-14-2011, 11:40
A very good quote from the video..."in hind sight, ANYTHING can be prevented".

p.d.
09-14-2011, 12:02
I just feel badly for everyone involved.

Dragoon44
09-14-2011, 17:48
The officer has to be named in the suit for them to include the dept and the city.

Morris
09-14-2011, 23:44
The only one that will win in this case will be the lawyer.

Agent6-3/8
09-17-2011, 07:07
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/NEW_INFO_Charleston_Police_Officers_Widow_Sues_City_in_Her_Husbands_Death.html

Now the mother of the POS that was the subject of the chase is suing. Of course he was a good boy and wouldn't hurt anyone... :steamed:

BSA70
09-17-2011, 07:34
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/NEW_INFO_Charleston_Police_Officers_Widow_Sues_City_in_Her_Husbands_Death.html

Now the mother of the POS that was the subject of the chase is suing. Of course he was a good boy and wouldn't hurt anyone... :steamed:

Yep, and him running had nothing to do with this. And we took any future he had away from him...we're really bad people:crying:

Morris
09-17-2011, 13:26
I reiterate . . .

The only one that will win in this case will be the lawyer.

Merkavaboy
09-17-2011, 17:36
Unless there was major negligence, she needs to let it go. This is a very dangerous job with many dangers that can get us. That's what we signed up for....

Two words: Qualified Immunity.

The only way an officer can lose his/her QI is:

1) Violate the victim's U.S. Constitutional Rights
2) Violate the victim's State Constitutional Rights
3) Commit a crime
4) Violate the Dept's Rules & Regs
5) Show Deliberate Indifference towards the victim

Now, ask yourself: Did any of the officer(s) violate any of these tenets?