Ported 24" barrel - Mossberg 930 Turkey for HD, general SHTF & fun gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ported 24" barrel - Mossberg 930 Turkey for HD, general SHTF & fun gun?

Z71bill
09-14-2011, 09:49
I have been thinking about buying a semi auto shotgun - I have always shot pump action -

I don't really like the sights on the 930SPX type gun - and have been considering a Mossberg 930 turkey gun -- it has a ported 24" barrel, pistol grip stock and looks like a solid gun.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=10&display=specs

model #85265

I have an 870 with an 18.5" barrel as my main HD shotgun - it is 38.5" - the Mossberg is 43.5" long - doesn't seem like that BIG of a difference -

Buds has them for $522 - seems like a fair price - add a extension + a new follower & spring + modified choke and I am right at $600 +/-.

I like the idea of being able to switch out the chokes -

Any experience with the 24" 930 turkey gun?

I have never shot a ported shotgun - any problem with shooting one in the dark?

Give me your $.02 worth.

Z71bill
09-15-2011, 08:10
No experience with a ported shotgun on GT?

vafish
09-15-2011, 10:07
Buds also has a Mossberg 930 combo with an 18.5" HD and a 28" vr barrels for about the same price as the camo turkey guns.

That would be my choice.

I do have a ported 28" barrel for my 500 nut don't recall shooting it in the dark.

Ferdinandd
09-15-2011, 19:03
First off, I've never fired my ported M500 barrel in the dark, but I wouldn't expect too much flash/night-blindness issue. The gas seems to be directed away from the barrel and I think that most of the propellant is burnt before the shot passes the ports anyway.

I like the versatility of being able to change chokes on my HD SG. However, now that I've been shooting various Rem-chokes patterning buck shot, I think that I might go back to a fixed IC. It's not like you're going to re-choke in the middle of an HD situation. They are nice to have though.

ScrappyDoo
09-16-2011, 12:39
I don't know if I would go out LOOKING for a ported barrle but if it's the gun i wanted I wouldn't have a problem at all... In fact some of the one I've liked , even the Mossbergs and tactical models , That Aimpro company, they got some ports, they look sweet.

I wouild think it would make it brighter etc. at night tho, no?

collim1
09-17-2011, 00:21
Sounds fine to me. Shotguns were stopping bad guys long before people started putting tactical junk on them.