Getting into running. Anyone else? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting into running. Anyone else?

Cochese
09-14-2011, 10:20
Well, I need to get in shape for several reasons.

Specifically, I need to prepare for a 1.5 mile timed run and distance running, in case I end up at FLETC. I don't want to be that guy, sucking wind at the end.

I started with a cotton tshirt, old shorts and some old New Balance I had running around.

I've since changed to Drymax shirts and socks, runners shorts, and Asics fitted by some running store Jock with a treadmill and a chart.

I also just put Endomondo on my phone and ordered a water belt to keep my P238 in since I run at night. Also ordered an arm holder for the phone and Bluetooth earphones along with a Polar heartrate monitor.

I can't wait for the rest of this stuff to arrive.

I'm a week in to the half Marathon training from www.personalrunningtrainer.com

Anyone else dig running?

I have always hated exercise but for some reason I am into it now. Just need to keep it up. Knees and shins are howling but it'll get better. MaxGXL and MaxOne help that!

KiloBravo
09-14-2011, 10:26
I am right there with you Cochese! I have been training for the Statie Academy since April. The first month was the worst for me, but the pain completely went away after that. Like you, I have graduated to Brooks running shoes specific to my stride and stupination (running on the outsides of my feet), and now wear generic under armour under shirts and such.

I have lost about 55 pounds running since then. I want to lose another 20. I was not even able to sustain a constant run for more than 1/2 run when I started. I am up to doing 3.5 miles 5 days per week now. You will notice gains very quickly if you keep with it.

Like you, I was never a runner. In fact, I HATED to run. Now I absolutley love it and I feel strange and out of whack if I don't get to run on days that I am supposed to!

I use a fairly good sized fanny pack to carry my S&W 642 and two speed strips. It also carries my droid, wallet, house keys, and a couple of other small items. It is a great system. I also wear a $6 rain poncho on the wet days.

Stick with it! You will be amazed at how quickly you build endurance! :wavey:

Javelin
09-14-2011, 10:27
Great! I love running.

Though no more marathons for me... after training for the last one my weight dropped into the 140's (I am 5'11" w/ medium frame). Running is great but you can lose all of your muscle which I have spent the better part of this entire 2011 regaining.

:wavey:

lpo
09-14-2011, 10:28
I enjoy running but have let myself get so bad out of shape in the last 10 years that I make it about 500 yards and have to walk for a bit. Just started up again a few weeks ago when I started a program to stop smoking and have made some decent headway. I'm looking forward to being able to do a few miles atba stretch again. Good luck and have fun.

Panzergrenadier1979
09-14-2011, 10:34
In Flames and All That Remains are the only things that makes running tolerable. :rock:

I usually run 3 miles 3 times a week. It's also a good excuse to get out of the house and away from the honeydo list for a half-hour.

KiloBravo
09-14-2011, 10:37
In Flames and All That Remains are the only things that makes running tolerable. :rock:

I usually run 3 miles 3 times a week. It's also a good excuse to get out of the house and away from the honeydo list for a half-hour.

+500!

I have noticed this as well. It is my "me" time to think about everything that is on my mind, and get away from distractions and stress from life in general. I feel really awesome after a good hard run. I am sweaty yes, but something about it helps calm me down and get re-focused.

SCSU74
09-14-2011, 10:44
i hate it, always have, always will. running 4 miles a day 5 days a week during the academy for 7 months didnt help the cause haha. That being said nothing helps more than a good pair of shoes and some quality stretching before :)

coachg
09-14-2011, 10:56
If you're just getting started you may want to look into one of the new techniques be it POSE of CHI. You have to practice it, but it helps your joints, esp the knees. I ran the Philadelphia Marathon last year using the technique and my knees survived even without my orthotics.

Add the book 'Born to Run' to your list of requirements for inspiration as it starts to get old.

Good luck - remember 90% of running is half mental. :supergrin:

FiremanMike
09-14-2011, 11:27
I love running! When I first started running for the academy I couldn't even go 1/4 mile without stopping to walk. Since that time I've not stopped running and average about 15 miles a week + treadmill stuff.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 11:59
I get in to it every summer and out of it every winter. I've been at it again this summer with four mile runs being the norm, three when the heat index was over 110 and 5-6 when I felt like pushing it. Good shoes are everything.

Personally, I run with the 642 and two speed strips in a Smart Carry. Don't even notice that it's there, it doesn't jostle in the least, and it's less crap to worry about. I'm actually trying to talk myself in to going today.

Agent6-3/8
09-14-2011, 11:59
I've grown to enjoy running quite a bit. I run 2 miles (sometimes more), 3X a week. My primary goal with running isn't distance, but to get my VO2 max as high as possible. Basically, when its time to fight, I want to to still be going strong when the BG is gassed. My secondary goal is easily passing the 1.5 mile run standards put up by various departments that I may test with. (which I can do)

I'm not great runner by nature and I've had to work hard to get to where I am. Its never been easy for me to get my lanky frame moving quicky. I've discovered in the last month or so that its easier for me to stretch my stride out and run fast as it is to "take it easy". This discovery has helped improve my breathing as well as reduce muscle fatigue and pops and cracks in my knees. My times have also improved greatly.

I never discovered this during the academy because most of our runs were formation runs. Its hard when your 6'3" to stretch your stride out when you've got chubby little foks a foot shorter trying to keep up. Overall, I think much of the PT I did during the academy was counter productive to my overall health...

I've got myself motivated now like I haven't been in a long, long time and working out 6 days a week. Not only do I feel better, I also feel better about myself.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 12:01
Forgot to add to mine that my resting pulse is down significantly since I got back in to it earlier this year. Usually around 55-60.

Kadetklapp
09-14-2011, 12:40
I hate running. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. My shin splints hurt me so bad it makes it unbearable, and just when I start making progress in my regimen, the splints are so bad I have to stop.

Gangrel
09-14-2011, 13:28
I have a love/hate relationship with running. In college I cycled for my cardio, then switched to running around the time I went to the academy. I got shin splints and ended up with orthotics and really only ran when I had to.

About two years ago I decided I wanted to do a marathon and started running again. I actually really enjoyed it, kinda like you 'Chese in the fact that I went from cheap stuff to tricked out gear. I'd go for an hour + run at night a couple times a week. I got up to half marathon distance and then my knees started killing me. I had adapted my form to a really good one, but I wasn't doing proper maintenance runs and I was stressing out my knees too bad.

I ended up quitting. I'm only just now getting back into running. We have our PD fitness program that just started which requires us to do a cooper test. I wanted to make a good showing so I started running again. This time I'm using vibram fivefingers. No shin splints thus far. I don't think I'll go for a marathon again, though.

So, for those of you that like cardio but hate running... Give cycling a try, works very very well and no impact.

And PanzerGrenadier... I absolutely agree on In Flames being one of the few things that carries one through a run ;) It always got turned on in the last couple of miles to push home.

Peace Frog
09-14-2011, 16:01
Well, I need to get in shape for several reasons.

Specifically, I need to prepare for a 1.5 mile timed run and distance running, in case I end up at FLETC. I don't want to be that guy, sucking wind at the end.

I started with a cotton tshirt, old shorts and some old New Balance I had running around.

I've since changed to Drymax shirts and socks, runners shorts, and Asics fitted by some running store Jock with a treadmill and a chart.

I also just put Endomondo on my phone and ordered a water belt to keep my P238 in since I run at night. Also ordered an arm holder for the phone and Bluetooth earphones along with a Polar heartrate monitor.

I can't wait for the rest of this stuff to arrive.

I'm a week in to the half Marathon training from www.personalrunningtrainer.com

Anyone else dig running?

I have always hated exercise but for some reason I am into it now. Just need to keep it up. Knees and shins are howling but it'll get better. MaxGXL and MaxOne help that!

Good luck with the Federal job Cochese!

:wavey:

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 16:31
I didn't know **** about running before I went to the academy, probably still don't. Before the academy the longest that I had ever ran in my life was the 1.5 miles required to get in. I showed up with some Nike Shox running shoes that looked good and felt comfortable enough in the store. They were a huge upgrade over the cross trainers that I had been running in to prepare (the cross trainers were a good overall shoe, just a poor running shoe).

By the end of the academy I really liked running, but I think that it took compulsory group runs to get me there. I had to do it, had to try, and had plenty of folks to commiserate with. I took a few weeks after the academy for the defiant "I'm never running again" phase and then got right back in to it. Fell off the horse that winter, took a whole year off, and then tried to get back in to it. Found that I had the absolute worst knees, ankles, feet, and shins...quit again.

When I next decided to get interested, I had all the joint and muscle problems again. decided to buy new shoes, mainly so that I would have to stare at a pair of hundred dollar shoes sitting by the door. The shoes fixed my problems, and I was even more aided by the fact that this time I went to a running store and bought what the folks there told me to buy. The particular store I went to was opened by a nurse who was also a big marathonner and decided to combine the two interests. They know their stuff.

What I've learned about shoes:

1) A good pair of well maintained, properly sized, purpose built running shoes are absolutely indispensable. If they're not comfortable, you're not going to run, period. If running tearing up your feet/ankles/shines/knees, you're in the wrong shoes. If shoes alone don't quite do it, start looking at insoles. If that doesn't do it, go to a podiatrist.

2) Your running shoes are for running only. That's it. Not for walking the dog, not for going to the store, not for mowing the lawn, not for wearing around the house. Wear them when you run and only when you run. It helps you keep a better track of the mileage on them and prevents them from being damaged. If you really like them, buy a second pair for casual wear. Seriously. Don't use them for anything else.

3) Colors and gimmicky features are not important. Design, construction, and compatibility are. The place that I use refuses to sell any of the "barefoot" shoes and anything with "suspension" (e.g. shox). It is their professional opinion that this stuff does not have a particular benefit to anybody and in fact hurts many people. They've put a lot of time in to coming to that opinion, so I believe it. They also have signs up everywhere about color: some shoes are available in certain colors, others aren't. If you absolutely must have blue/red/black/orange/green/pink or cannot stand <same list here> then you aren't serious enough about having good shoes.

One thing that I have found to be helpful is keeping a log. While I use http://www.mapmyrun.com for route plotting and so forth, I put together a pretty simple spreadsheet that records date, time, temp, sky conditions, precipitation, distance, and duration. It figures out my 1mi pace for me and also tracks total distance and time for the month along with average temperature and overall 1mi pace. It's nice to look at a month and see the 1mi pace decline as the days and weeks go by. I'm kind of a statistics geek, so that's one thing that keeps me motivated.

I also find that having a large number of available routes helps keep me from getting bored. I try to avoid out-and-backs for the most part and despise running laps. I'll take a route with ridiculous hills over running circles on a track any day. MapMyRun and similar websites are great for this. I think that I have six routes that I use routinely, five of which can be run in either direction, giving me eleven pre-set, known distance routes to choose from. Many of them have common parts, so I can add or subtract distance at certain junctions as I go, depending on how I feel.

faceplant
09-14-2011, 18:25
I loved to run when I was young, somewhat thin, and in the Marines. 10-20 miles a day with a marathon tossed in. When I left the Marines my knees would start to ache with that distace so I cut way back and switched to bicycling and would put in hours riding. I was addicted to the way it made me feel plus I could drinik all the beer and eat anything I wanted. The price I paid was two bad knees, one surgery and the prospect of TKR.

Enjoy the running. Listen to your body. Pain is not good and back off if you start to feel it. Running is great excercise but it pounds the crap out of your body and is not for everyone. Some of us are just not made for it. Run enough to meet the qualifications for the new job and what you think you need for the present job. Good luck.

grecco
09-14-2011, 18:46
At the age of 45 did my first 10 miler, and tough mudder,
on sunday, it will be my first half marathon.
running fixes everything!
Good luck.

Bushido5150
09-14-2011, 18:53
Cochese are you running just for the test or do you really just enjoy it?
I like running for the escape mentally for 45 or so minutes but I hate how punishing it is on the body.
I did the whole run five miles a day thing during the academy but pretty much stopped doing it daily since graduation. Now all I do is jiu jitsu and weight training for jiu jitsu. Been doing that for almost a year now and when I mix in a run I haven't noticed any drop off.
BJJ has really been the best thing I have ever done for fitness. And its crazy fun!

Newcop761
09-14-2011, 19:29
While preparing for my last academy I started getting shin splints for the first time.

I purchased a pair of thermold inserts for my Mizuno shoes. They were the best purchase I've made and my shin splints went away within a week or two.

Mayhem like Me
09-14-2011, 20:27
I can run don't love it more into cross fit and more dynamic workouts.

at Quantico they tried to make me love it, I loved the o course not the longer runs---- 10 miles and greater = take a car

BTW way i Love my Mizuno running shoes.. I run neutral but I am large so I need good fit and cushioning.

herky
09-14-2011, 20:33
I have been training for my first triathlon. I love the running and biking, the swimming is new for me, and right now it looks like I may drown.

Agent6-3/8
09-14-2011, 20:41
I have been training for my first triathlon. I love the running and biking, the swimming is new for me, and right now it looks like I may drown.

We did a week of water survival training during the academy. It was, IMO the toughest week of the whole program. Nothing like swimming is a full uniform and duty gear with the department's ex-Navy divers doing their best to drown you. Fun times!

I must say however, that it was excellent training and worth the pain.

Cochese
09-14-2011, 23:17
I am right there with you Cochese! I have been training for the Statie Academy since April. The first month was the worst for me, but the pain completely went away after that. Like you, I have graduated to Brooks running shoes specific to my stride and stupination (running on the outsides of my feet), and now wear generic under armour under shirts and such.

I have lost about 55 pounds running since then. I want to lose another 20. I was not even able to sustain a constant run for more than 1/2 run when I started. I am up to doing 3.5 miles 5 days per week now. You will notice gains very quickly if you keep with it.

Like you, I was never a runner. In fact, I HATED to run. Now I absolutley love it and I feel strange and out of whack if I don't get to run on days that I am supposed to!

I use a fairly good sized fanny pack to carry my S&W 642 and two speed strips. It also carries my droid, wallet, house keys, and a couple of other small items. It is a great system. I also wear a $6 rain poncho on the wet days.

Stick with it! You will be amazed at how quickly you build endurance! :wavey:

Awesome. I need a poncho tonight. It's 49 degrees and pouring. Gonna hit it anyway tonight. I have a Nathan waist pack on the way for the gun.

Great! I love running.

Though no more marathons for me... after training for the last one my weight dropped into the 140's (I am 5'11" w/ medium frame). Running is great but you can lose all of your muscle which I have spent the better part of this entire 2011 regaining.

I don't have any muscle to lose. :rofl:

Very good alone time. I *LOVE* ATR. Unfortunately, I'm on this running program and have to listen to their eurotrash music for a few weeks.

If you're just getting started you may want to look into one of the new techniques be it POSE of CHI. You have to practice it, but it helps your joints, esp the knees. I ran the Philadelphia Marathon last year using the technique and my knees survived even without my orthotics.

Add the book 'Born to Run' to your list of requirements for inspiration as it starts to get old.

Good luck - remember 90% of running is half mental. :supergrin:

Good stuff. I love the quote!

I love running! When I first started running for the academy I couldn't even go 1/4 mile without stopping to walk. Since that time I've not stopped running and average about 15 miles a week + treadmill stuff.

This is where I would like to be.

I get in to it every summer and out of it every winter. I've been at it again this summer with four mile runs being the norm, three when the heat index was over 110 and 5-6 when I felt like pushing it. Good shoes are everything.

Personally, I run with the 642 and two speed strips in a Smart Carry. Don't even notice that it's there, it doesn't jostle in the least, and it's less crap to worry about. I'm actually trying to talk myself in to going today.

I completely forgot about my smartcarry. Boom. Gonna try it tonight with the P238, or my LCP.

I hate running. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. My shin splints hurt me so bad it makes it unbearable, and just when I start making progress in my regimen, the splints are so bad I have to stop.

Dude, I am plagued with splints. Always have been. You have to want it and you have to fight through it. Give it another shot.

I have a love/hate relationship with running. In college I cycled for my cardio, then switched to running around the time I went to the academy. I got shin splints and ended up with orthotics and really only ran when I had to.

About two years ago I decided I wanted to do a marathon and started running again. I actually really enjoyed it, kinda like you 'Chese in the fact that I went from cheap stuff to tricked out gear. I'd go for an hour + run at night a couple times a week. I got up to half marathon distance and then my knees started killing me. I had adapted my form to a really good one, but I wasn't doing proper maintenance runs and I was stressing out my knees too bad.

I ended up quitting. I'm only just now getting back into running. We have our PD fitness program that just started which requires us to do a cooper test. I wanted to make a good showing so I started running again. This time I'm using vibram fivefingers. No shin splints thus far. I don't think I'll go for a marathon again, though.

So, for those of you that like cardio but hate running... Give cycling a try, works very very well and no impact.

And PanzerGrenadier... I absolutely agree on In Flames being one of the few things that carries one through a run ;) It always got turned on in the last couple of miles to push home.

Just ordered Vibram Five Finger Bikila LS from eBay for $64 shipped. Woot! Have my eye on a pair of NB Minimus for my birthday. Wife is buying. For the trails with her on weekends.

Good luck with the Federal job Cochese!

Thanks! Fingers crossed.

I didn't know **** about running before I went to the academy, probably still don't. Before the academy the longest that I had ever ran in my life was the 1.5 miles required to get in. I showed up with some Nike Shox running shoes that looked good and felt comfortable enough in the store. They were a huge upgrade over the cross trainers that I had been running in to prepare (the cross trainers were a good overall shoe, just a poor running shoe).

By the end of the academy I really liked running, but I think that it took compulsory group runs to get me there. I had to do it, had to try, and had plenty of folks to commiserate with. I took a few weeks after the academy for the defiant "I'm never running again" phase and then got right back in to it. Fell off the horse that winter, took a whole year off, and then tried to get back in to it. Found that I had the absolute worst knees, ankles, feet, and shins...quit again.

When I next decided to get interested, I had all the joint and muscle problems again. decided to buy new shoes, mainly so that I would have to stare at a pair of hundred dollar shoes sitting by the door. The shoes fixed my problems, and I was even more aided by the fact that this time I went to a running store and bought what the folks there told me to buy. The particular store I went to was opened by a nurse who was also a big marathonner and decided to combine the two interests. They know their stuff.

What I've learned about shoes:

1) A good pair of well maintained, properly sized, purpose built running shoes are absolutely indispensable. If they're not comfortable, you're not going to run, period. If running tearing up your feet/ankles/shines/knees, you're in the wrong shoes. If shoes alone don't quite do it, start looking at insoles. If that doesn't do it, go to a podiatrist.

2) Your running shoes are for running only. That's it. Not for walking the dog, not for going to the store, not for mowing the lawn, not for wearing around the house. Wear them when you run and only when you run. It helps you keep a better track of the mileage on them and prevents them from being damaged. If you really like them, buy a second pair for casual wear. Seriously. Don't use them for anything else.

3) Colors and gimmicky features are not important. Design, construction, and compatibility are. The place that I use refuses to sell any of the "barefoot" shoes and anything with "suspension" (e.g. shox). It is their professional opinion that this stuff does not have a particular benefit to anybody and in fact hurts many people. They've put a lot of time in to coming to that opinion, so I believe it. They also have signs up everywhere about color: some shoes are available in certain colors, others aren't. If you absolutely must have blue/red/black/orange/green/pink or cannot stand <same list here> then you aren't serious enough about having good shoes.

One thing that I have found to be helpful is keeping a log. While I use http://www.mapmyrun.com for route plotting and so forth, I put together a pretty simple spreadsheet that records date, time, temp, sky conditions, precipitation, distance, and duration. It figures out my 1mi pace for me and also tracks total distance and time for the month along with average temperature and overall 1mi pace. It's nice to look at a month and see the 1mi pace decline as the days and weeks go by. I'm kind of a statistics geek, so that's one thing that keeps me motivated.

I also find that having a large number of available routes helps keep me from getting bored. I try to avoid out-and-backs for the most part and despise running laps. I'll take a route with ridiculous hills over running circles on a track any day. MapMyRun and similar websites are great for this. I think that I have six routes that I use routinely, five of which can be run in either direction, giving me eleven pre-set, known distance routes to choose from. Many of them have common parts, so I can add or subtract distance at certain junctions as I go, depending on how I feel.

I use www.endomondo.com and I have a Bluetooth heart rate monitor and BT earphones en route. It maps, does KCALs, distance/rate/time, etc.

So far so good. Let's me upload to facebook so my out of state coach can bust my balls if I don't report in.

I loved to run when I was young, somewhat thin, and in the Marines. 10-20 miles a day with a marathon tossed in. When I left the Marines my knees would start to ache with that distace so I cut way back and switched to bicycling and would put in hours riding. I was addicted to the way it made me feel plus I could drinik all the beer and eat anything I wanted. The price I paid was two bad knees, one surgery and the prospect of TKR.

Enjoy the running. Listen to your body. Pain is not good and back off if you start to feel it. Running is great excercise but it pounds the crap out of your body and is not for everyone. Some of us are just not made for it. Run enough to meet the qualifications for the new job and what you think you need for the present job. Good luck.

Well said. :)

At the age of 45 did my first 10 miler, and tough mudder,
on sunday, it will be my first half marathon.
running fixes everything!
Good luck.

Inspiring. Two of my best buds at work do the Mudder and the other big one every year. I will be attending next year.

Cochese are you running just for the test or do you really just enjoy it?
I like running for the escape mentally for 45 or so minutes but I hate how punishing it is on the body.
I did the whole run five miles a day thing during the academy but pretty much stopped doing it daily since graduation. Now all I do is jiu jitsu and weight training for jiu jitsu. Been doing that for almost a year now and when I mix in a run I haven't noticed any drop off.
BJJ has really been the best thing I have ever done for fitness. And its crazy fun!

It was to prepare for the test and academy (if I get hired) but I'm starting to enjoy it.

While preparing for my last academy I started getting shin splints for the first time.

I purchased a pair of thermold inserts for my Mizuno shoes. They were the best purchase I've made and my shin splints went away within a week or two.

The Asics have been treating me well. No need for inserts quite yet.

I can run don't love it more into cross fit and more dynamic workouts.

at Quantico they tried to make me love it, I loved the o course not the longer runs---- 10 miles and greater = take a car

BTW way i Love my Mizuno running shoes.. I run neutral but I am large so I need good fit and cushioning.

Crossfit is another option on the horizon for me.

Hahahaha. I'm thinking about swimming too. I have a free pass to the rec. center and they have sweet pools there.

Gangrel
09-15-2011, 08:55
I'm an asics whore when not in the vibrams. I have worn the nimbus for years. I keep wanting to get some DS Trainers for a really light weight shoe.

I have a garmin GPS which has a bikemount and a wrist mount for trialthlons. Me likely (me haven't use-y though in a loooong time... Hopefully I haven't killed the battery).

Kahr_Glockman
09-15-2011, 09:12
You people are sick masocists.

Kadetklapp
09-15-2011, 09:35
you people are sick masocists.

+1000

cyrsequipment
09-15-2011, 09:38
I'm in the same boat (trying to get back into federal LE) but I HATE running. I have my push-ups and sit-ups down easily, but I can't get motivated to friggin run...

I'm debating on getting a cattle prod and forcing myself to go...

Sharkey
09-15-2011, 10:15
Oh God no! Running is of the devil.

After having some back pain a year ago and gritting my teeth, seeing a Chiropractor, going through PT and a med. Dr. I have changed my workout though.

10min cardio, core and strength building with dumbells (pilates hybrid), 10min cardio, and some stretching and my back is much happier!

At 42, I'm in some decent shape and just recently beat out 5 younger guys in a department agility test.

GioaJack
09-15-2011, 11:02
If God had intended for man to run He wouldn't have invented rifles. :whistling:

Jack

verdugo60
09-15-2011, 11:48
I'm in the same boat (trying to get back into federal LE) but I HATE running. I have my push-ups and sit-ups down easily, but I can't get motivated to friggin run...

I'm debating on getting a cattle prod and forcing myself to go...

I'm in the same spot! Let me know what brand of cattle prod works best! ;)

Cochese
09-15-2011, 12:42
I'm an asics whore when not in the vibrams. I have worn the nimbus for years. I keep wanting to get some DS Trainers for a really light weight shoe.

I have a garmin GPS which has a bikemount and a wrist mount for trialthlons. Me likely (me haven't use-y though in a loooong time... Hopefully I haven't killed the battery).

I have Asics Gel Nimbus 12s. I just ordered another pair for $68 shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?p=42881182&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=1&utm_content=u162&utm_campaign=tu9999#post42881182

DVeng
09-15-2011, 14:45
I completely forgot about my smartcarry. Boom. Gonna try it tonight with the P238, or my LCP.

I'll +1 the SmartCarry as a running holster. I tried it a month or two ago at DaBigBr's suggestion and haven't ran without it since. You completely forget its there - even on a treadmill where there isn't much else to think about.

ETA: For android users, the free app "My Tracks" is a great way to track runs. It lets you post your results to a google docs spreadsheet, maps your routes on google maps, etc. I haven't used it in the last couple of weeks as the weather is starting to make the treadmill more inviting, but it's great if you run outdoors.

Cochese
09-15-2011, 15:00
I wore it last night with the 238. Perfect.

www.endomondo.com has a free apparently. Pro is only $4.00 and it does all that and adds several other functions... FYI.

DaBigBR
09-15-2011, 16:46
4.13mi today, 31:58, About a 7:45/mi pace.

Dukeboy01
09-15-2011, 17:16
Running sucks. SUCKS!

That being said, it's about all I can do anymore since one of our ERU goons wrecked my shoulder during stupid Krav Maga training as part of our stupid 40 hour mandatory inservice back in May. I sweat, spit, and curse for 30- 35 minutes on a treadmill three times a week with an average of an 11 minute mile.

And I hate every minute of it.

Cochese
09-15-2011, 17:17
That's fast, Brad.

I'm half way there.

DaBigBR
09-15-2011, 17:50
That's fast, Brad.

I'm half way there.

Last year when I chickened out I was knocking out 4mi in just under 30 minutes. Two goals for this year:

1) Get back there (I'm trying!)

2) Don't wuss out when it gets cold.

KiloBravo
09-15-2011, 18:51
I knocked out my 3.5 mile run and 2 mile walk again tonight.

Times for the run was 3.5 in 27:00. I ran a consistent 8:00 mile throughout the entire thing. I came back to knock out another 150 pushups and all of the other stuff I do now on my run days.

Hang in there Cochese! It gets easier my friend.

pal2511
09-16-2011, 16:49
I hate running but good luck Cochese :)

kpuscg04
09-17-2011, 16:10
Dude, you need to be training for where you're going, but you're training all WRONG.

First, I.C.E stands for I Can't Exercise.

Second, the running and crossfit won't help you. Here's what will help.
- Curls (12oz multiple reps, decreasing weight)
- Wings (As in chicken wings. You need to be able to eat a lot of them after class)
- Circles (As in Pizza, because Sal's has the best pizza on the earth)
- Smokers (As in BBQ because Southern Soul BBQ is like nothing you've ever tasted before)

Anything other than the above exercises is a waste of your time.

steveksux
09-17-2011, 17:02
Just keep in mind that exercise breaks down your body, and rest is where it builds back up stronger than it was in order to deal with the stress of exercise.

If you stop making progress, feeling tired and sore, and not getting over it, you're probably overtraining as opposed to not working hard enough.

Mix it up, hard days, easy days, off day here and there. Listen to your body.

Easy for type A personalities to overdo it. You may need to train for a while to get to the point you can train the way you want to, to where your body can handle that load.

Be careful trying to tough out stuff like shin splints. Sometimes its a matter of pushing through it, sometimes its a matter of backing off a bit, and allowing your body to acclimate to that level, and THEN pushing through to the next level.

Randy

Cochese
09-18-2011, 01:03
Dude, you need to be training for where you're going, but you're training all WRONG.

First, I.C.E stands for I Can't Exercise.

Second, the running and crossfit won't help you. Here's what will help.
- Curls (12oz multiple reps, decreasing weight)
- Wings (As in chicken wings. You need to be able to eat a lot of them after class)
- Circles (As in Pizza, because Sal's has the best pizza on the earth)
- Smokers (As in BBQ because Southern Soul BBQ is like nothing you've ever tasted before)

Anything other than the above exercises is a waste of your time.

:rofl:

This isn't in preparation for Hissy. Got another one in my sights!

Just keep in mind that exercise breaks down your body, and rest is where it builds back up stronger than it was in order to deal with the stress of exercise.

If you stop making progress, feeling tired and sore, and not getting over it, you're probably overtraining as opposed to not working hard enough.

Mix it up, hard days, easy days, off day here and there. Listen to your body.

Easy for type A personalities to overdo it. You may need to train for a while to get to the point you can train the way you want to, to where your body can handle that load.

Be careful trying to tough out stuff like shin splints. Sometimes its a matter of pushing through it, sometimes its a matter of backing off a bit, and allowing your body to acclimate to that level, and THEN pushing through to the next level.

Randy

Well said.

COLOSHOOTR
09-18-2011, 01:58
Cross Fit is pretty good stuff... When I was doing it I was in the best shape of my life. Now I've just been a lazy slob again but women make you slip into those phases from time to time right? At least thats my excuse for now!

I'm working on getting back into better shape again and know a guy that runs a Crossfitt gym if you're intertested.... Very pro cop since he is one!

Let me know if you do the Mudder next year. A few of us at work plan on heading up for the craziness!

Detectorist
09-18-2011, 07:50
Don't know how heavy or tall you are, but I like running and I'm terrible at it. Years ago I started a weight lifting program including 45deg leg press.

After a few months of that I tried running. Wow! What a difference!

I would suggest a basic lifting program, including squats. Your knees and joints will thank you for that.

Example: Squats, pull downs, chest press, overhead press. That's it. Simple.

redbrd
09-18-2011, 08:20
I am just getting back into running myself. Sounds like you are doing pretty well. I have just gotten to where I am running for 4 mi fairly comfortably but slow. I am looking forward to getting some of my former speed back.
I agree the modern fabrics are awesome. I where a heartrate monitor but haven't really been successful in using it as a real training tool yet.