Need advice on applying. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on applying.

lpo
09-14-2011, 10:24
Local department is hiring but I have seen and heard too many bad things about them and I am not sure if it is worth applying, even for certification. Any advice for going into a PD that is like this. They are looking to hire 500 officers between now and the end of next year, probobly due to the high turn over rate. Should I go for it and stick it out until my certification transfers or should I wait a year or two to see if another department starts hiring? I will add more details when I get to a computer and not a cellphone.

Thanks ya'll

Panzergrenadier1979
09-14-2011, 10:28
Go with whoever hires you; just get your foot in the door. 500 hires in the next year or so?! Freaking apply now!

Morris
09-14-2011, 10:31
Launch pad. Stay clean, get your time in for lateraling and then jump.

Or, when in doubt, don't.

lpo
09-14-2011, 10:33
The 500 is what the Mayor says they need and wonder if that is a legitimate number. Seems kind of high to me. I have a few things that may disqualify me but from what I have heard from other applicants, they are setting the bar pretty low. I may just have to do it and ride it out as long as they will waive the county living rules (I understand they will)

MeefZah
09-14-2011, 11:03
If you are actively looking for a job, you'd be stupid not to apply at any agency with a posting.

You can always opt out later, if you want; but you can't opt in later if you don't start the ball rolling now.

Bushido5150
09-14-2011, 11:24
Where is this?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

msu_grad_121
09-14-2011, 11:27
If you are actively looking for a job, you'd be stupid not to apply at any agency with a posting.

You can always opt out later, if you want; but you can't opt in later if you don't start the ball rolling now.

This.

And to echo Bushido, I'm curious as well.

mixflip
09-14-2011, 11:34
Holy crap 500 new hires? Thats awesome and kinda unheard of right now with everybody usually suffering from the recession and budget cuts?

There are alot of laid off cops that might be your competition.... more so now that you posted it on a cop subforum lol.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 12:04
Local department is hiring but I have seen and heard too many bad things about them and I am not sure if it is worth applying, even for certification. Any advice for going into a PD that is like this. They are looking to hire 500 officers between now and the end of next year, probobly due to the high turn over rate. Should I go for it and stick it out until my certification transfers or should I wait a year or two to see if another department starts hiring? I will add more details when I get to a computer and not a cellphone.

What are the "bad things you have seen and heard" and from where have you heard them?

Where is this?

No ****.

The largest agency in Mississippi, according to the UCR is Jackson, with 749 officers. Where, in this economy, does anybody come up with funds for that many cops?

lpo
09-14-2011, 12:29
Re- read the article, the mayor says he wants 500 more but the department says they want a total of 500,about 60 more. This is in Jackson and some of the things that have come out are poor management (starting with the city management) and just poor standards in general. I have talked to people that have been there for years and their advice was don't apply due to the hirng standards and lack of leadership all around.

I called the recruitment office to find out about some issues I have that may have prevented me from getting on and they don't even know what will qualify or disqualify you.

Again, I am on a cell phone and will be a little bit more fluid and coherent with my posts when I get home to a real computer. Thanks again everyone.

blueiron
09-14-2011, 12:56
The population decreased from 184,256 at the 2000 census to 173,514 at the 2010 census. They want 500 cops total and the mayor wants 500 more?

I don't see it. Assuming the 2010 population number is reasonable, 500 cops is a huge department for that number of people. The concept of 1,000 cops for a city of that size is outlandish. The U.S. police staffing average is around 2.0+ cops per 1,000 citizens.

Perhaps the numbers were misquoted or misstated.

lpo
09-14-2011, 13:23
The population decreased from 184,256 at the 2000 census to 173,514 at the 2010 census. They want 500 cops total and the mayor wants 500 more?

I don't see it. Assuming the 2010 population number is reasonable, 500 cops is a huge department for that number of people. The concept of 1,000 cops for a city of that size is outlandish. The U.S. police staffing average is around 2.0+ cops per 1,000 citizens.

Perhaps the numbers were misquoted or misstated.

I believe the mayor meant 500 total and was just quoted wrong. Sorry for the confusion

boomhower
09-14-2011, 15:47
If you have issues with your background you aren't going to be starting at your dream agency, take whoever will hire you to get started. The "dream" jobs are taken by guys with clean backgrounds or that lateral in with years of experience. They have their pick of the litter when it comes to applicants. If your background lacks you have to start lower on the todem pole. That usually includes lesser desired departments with low and old equipment. But you have to start somewhere if this is what you want to do for a career. In the long term two years is a small price to pay for a 30 year career.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 16:34
I misread the the UCR data...they have 749 total employees, but list 485 officers.

I suspect that you are right and that they would like to have a total of 500 officers.