1300 Defender [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1300 Defender

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 11:59
About 13 years ago I bought a 1300 Defender with pistol grip. It has seen maybe 250 rounds; if that. The entire gun is in NIB condition although I do not have the box or instructions (thank my ex-wife for that; *****).

It has no rust, barrel is spotless action looks brand new. I have kept it stored in a padded gun case that is impregnated with oil (Odd case, I know. I never found another one like it). Anyway, the gun is spotless.

My question is, I am going to a gun show this weekend and I am thinking of selling it. It's the 8 shot version listed in my signature. I love the gun but I have no place to go shoot it. When I sell it, what should I ask for it?

I went to a gun store 3 weeks ago and the guy told me he wouldn't be able to sell it and offered me $90 for it. I laughed and left. After reading some threads here, I think I could get a fair price for it, but what should I look for as far as offers go? I have attached a pic. I can get better ones tonight if needed once I get home.

GlocknSpiehl
09-14-2011, 12:05
I bought the exact same shotgun at Walmart 15 years ago. Last year I changed it to an adjustable pistol grip stock and changed out the slide for a pistol grip slide and it is now my home SD shotgun. Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't get rid of it. It is one of the fastest/smoothest cycling slide action shotguns made and holds 8+1 shells. I upgraded/updated mine for less than $90.

If you want to sell, I've seen prices on auction sites for around $250 - $300. Keep it and upgrade it.

YMMV

jwhite75
09-14-2011, 12:12
That is a great gun overall just needs a better stock. Keep it and fix it.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 12:16
I guess I could load it and use it for HD. How do you store yours for HD use? I don't have a safe or gun rack. I usually keep it packed away. I don't mind keeping it and using it for HD but I worry about it rusting and what not when its out in the open.

I wasn't able to find any out there and I read all the praise for the 870. I thought the 1300 must have not been a good gun. I love mine but I never get to shoot it. I will explore my options as far as keeping it at the ready for HD and then decide what to do with it. Wish I had a mount for it in my truck. That would be awesome for those road ragers.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 12:25
I actually like the pistol grip. It needs a little padding (hard on the hand after a couple rounds) but as long as you don't lock your wrist, your golden as far as the recoil goes. Maybe I will look for a new grip or maybe a Hogue wrap for it.

David Armstrong
09-14-2011, 12:30
I wasn't able to find any out there and I read all the praise for the 870. I thought the 1300 must have not been a good gun. I love mine but I never get to shoot it. I will explore my options as far as keeping it at the ready for HD and then decide what to do with it. Wish I had a mount for it in my truck. That would be awesome for those road ragers.
First, getting into a gunfight with a bunch of folks over road rage, no matter what the weapon, is never awesome. Having said that, I think the reason you don't hear much about the 1300 is it has a bit of a reputation for being fragile when compared to guns like the 870, so not that many folks choose it for a fighting shotgun.

El_Ron1
09-14-2011, 12:31
he wouldn't be able to sell it and offered me $90 for it.:rofl:

Must be the line he was taught in How To Lose Money, Friends And Customers With Guns school.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 12:44
Oh I would never get into a gun fight over road rage. Its not worth it. Just the mere sight is what I would be counting on when some jerk pulls up next to me flipping me off. Seeing it mounted to the dash like they do in police cars is what I am referring to, not actually whipping it out.

Now, if they want to force me off the road and look for a fight, I will be happy to oblige.

How is the 1300 fragile? Is there a design flaw?

David Armstrong
09-14-2011, 12:50
Oh I would never get into a gun fight over road rage. Its not worth it. Just the mere sight is what I would be counting on when some jerk pulls up next to me flipping me off. Seeing it mounted to the dash like they do in police cars is what I am referring to, not actually whipping it out.

Now, if they want to force me off the road and look for a fight, I will be happy to oblige.

How is the 1300 fragile? Is there a design flaw?
Don't know about design flaws, just know that they had a reputation for not being able to complete training courses or hold up to extensive (ab)use by LE.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 12:57
Hmm. Maybe I will look into that. thanks for the info. I have a couple of boxes of 3" 000 Buck I used to keep in it for home defense, maybe I will load it back up. I assume spring fatigue is a myth in these guns as well? I am ok to keep it loaded for long periods of time?

Nestor
09-14-2011, 13:54
You are not going to use it or abuse it the way LE agencies do. No worries.
Pros are on your side and the cons are not really something that You should be worrying about. You have a great shotgun not only because it's fast, but also because You already have it. This is the cheapest option for You. Keep it or if You want, change the stock on it. New 870 are not in the same league. I handled a couple lately. They maybe look cool, but they are nowhere near the quality from the past. You would need to buy Wingmaster or Police model and spend a lot of money to have as much gun as You already have. Enjoy.

Z71bill
09-14-2011, 14:52
I saw a similar gun at the Pasadena Texas gun show a couple weeks ago - Houston area is normally priced a little low. Where are you located?

It had nice wood / full size stock

Gun looked new - $250

IMHO not many folks want a pistol grip only set up - by the time they buy a stock & maybe for-end to match you can buy a complete new gun and spend less.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 18:56
I am in Dallas. I am going to keep it. I got it out, oiled it good and loaded it with 3" 00 buck. I concealed it too. I realized how much I like it once I ran the action a couple of times.

GoBigOrange
09-14-2011, 19:55
Do you live in a sewer? Why are you so worried about rust? My dad has a Winchester Defender 1300 that he bought about 15 years ago. It has been in a closet the entire time and only cleaned 2-3 times. It has zero rust, it literally looks brand new. I absolutely love that gun.

Load that thing and keep it handy. The 1300 is a great home defense gun.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 20:20
Nah, no sewer unless I have Taco Bell for lunch.

I have never had it out and exposed and the humidity in my house is fairly high due to aquariums. I will keep an eye on it for awhile, if it shows no signs then I will leave it be.

Glock 1
09-14-2011, 20:21
Keep one in the tube?

El_Ron1
09-14-2011, 20:47
I got it out, oiled it good and loaded it with 3" 00 buck.
How big a boy are ya? Do yourself a favor and put some "low recoil" 2 and 3/4" Buck in there.

Take that thing out to the range and try some of those magnum shells on for size someday. :cool:

GoBigOrange
09-15-2011, 05:29
Keep one in the tube?

nope. I keep mine loaded but I don't have a round in the chamber. Just my personal preference.

Glock 1
09-15-2011, 06:13
How big a boy are ya? Do yourself a favor and put some "low recoil" 2 and 3/4" Buck in there.

Take that thing out to the range and try some of those magnum shells on for size someday. :cool:

I have shot some hot loads in my time but I see your point about the shells. in CQC they are too much. I am planning on getting some lighter loads for it Saturday while I am at the gun show. I am 6' 1" and 275lbs.

I will reload it when I get home and take the one in the chamber out. It has been bugging me ever since I loaded it that way. Good to hear its not just me that feels that way.

Oh, and I cant find a range near me that will let me shoot this thing. they all tell me "That thing ain't made for nuthin' but killing!"

I am going to a relatives land in a couple of weeks where I can pull out all the stops, I plan on taking it out there.

El_Ron1
09-15-2011, 09:06
Pistol grips are not too comfortable to shoot for most people. You can find the factory synthetic butt stocks on ebay or gunbroker from time to time.

David Armstrong
09-15-2011, 09:18
Hmm. Maybe I will look into that. thanks for the info. I have a couple of boxes of 3" 000 Buck I used to keep in it for home defense, maybe I will load it back up. I assume spring fatigue is a myth in these guns as well? I am ok to keep it loaded for long periods of time?
First, I'd suggest getting rid of the 3" stuff for HD and getting some standard or preferably reduced recoil 2.75" buckshot. Second, that spring fatigue is a myth seems to be a myth, if you follow me. Springs are like anything else made by man, sometimes good sometimes bad. Lots of disagreement on the issue among folks with rather extensive background and experience. I've had enough fatigue on me over a range of guns to take the chance, so I replace springs regularly. But even with that you can keep the gun loaded for long periods. Personally I keep mine downloaded by one round, but that is as much for tactical reasons as it is worry over spring fatigue.
Keep one in the tube?
No.

Glock 1
09-15-2011, 10:31
Good information. I will see what I can find. I think I want a folding stock for it. I like the pistol grip because it hides easier but a full stock would be nice sometimes.

I will look for some better rounds for home defense this weekend.

Glock 1
09-15-2011, 12:38
Would this be a good HD shell?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2H86240-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FEPD13200-1.html

Glock 1
09-15-2011, 12:42
or these?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2WNS12PDX1-1.html

GlocknSpiehl
09-15-2011, 17:48
What to load for HD is like asking what type of toppings do you like on your pizza. Figure out what you can comfortably shoot accurately. Mine is loaded with 2.75" #4 Buck. It patterns nicely, has very managable recoil and no LOS in my house is greater than 25 ft. Everyone else will weigh in with their opinion, so "play with it" to figure out what works for you.

Glock 1
09-15-2011, 18:19
At 5-10 dollars a box, I can do that. Looks like I get to take her out and put her through her paces with some new ammo. I found the managed recoil loads too. I look forward to shooting them. It's been about 6 years since I have shot any shotgun.

David Armstrong
09-15-2011, 18:41
Would this be a good HD shell?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2H86240-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FEPD13200-1.html
Pretty much any brand name 2.75" buckshot load will be a good HD shell. Try a few out, find what patterns good with your gun, and you will be good to go.

cdog533
09-25-2011, 21:52
I've had a 1300 Defender for 15+ years. Pistol grip, sidesaddle, and a Streamlight. Nice little gun, no corrosion, I've fired probably 500 field rounds through it and 100+ 00 buck. Still works good and looks brand new.

They aren't as good as 590's or 870's but I would say they are pretty good.

Glock 1
09-26-2011, 05:51
I took mine with me to the gun show two weeks ago. The guy checking weapons bought it from me. Got me a new pistol out of the deal to boot so I am happy. I am going to get a new shotgun soon though. I like the 870 but look looking at other options too. I am working on my FFL right now.

IT0
10-10-2011, 19:44
The Winchester Defender is one of my favorite HD shots guns. New with wood furniture ran $200, now they go for $350 plus on gun broker. There is even some joker trying to sell one for $500.

If you ever do sell it drop me a line...

Arvinator
10-10-2011, 20:00
One of my home defense shotguns is a Winchester "Defender" with a wooden stock&forearm. It has been totally reliable, and with the extended tube, plain bead barrel I think it serves me well. I load mine with 2 3/4 inch standard pressure 00Buck, but I live in the middle of a large area of trees, a pretty good size home and no kids in other rooms at night. It's just me, the wife & house dog.
I tell everyone a good shotgun is a handy thing to have....

GoBigOrange
10-10-2011, 20:06
They aren't as good as 590's or 870's but I would say they are pretty good.

This statement has my interest. Can you elaborate?

My dad has a 15 year old 1300 defender and I have a new 870. I would much rather have the Winchester. It feels like a better built weapon than the 870. The action is smoother and the ergo's are better IMO.

Both are great shotugns but I feel the 1300 has a leg up.

method
10-10-2011, 22:04
I know it's entirely subjective, and trivial to some, but I just never liked the way a 1300 sounded when racked. Maybe it's the rotating bolt, but it just doesn't make quality mechanical sounds like an 870, or especially an Ithaca 37.

I'm sure they're great guns, and when I was looking for a bunny gun a couple months back I'd considered one....until I took one off the shelf at a shop and racked it. I was quickly reminded why I never cared for them.

Kadetklapp
10-11-2011, 06:31
Dad had a Winchester 1300 Defender in the trunk of his squad car for many years. Rarely got shot unless he qualified with it or on occasion and in a pinch shot some clays with it (that's right). That gun had the smoothest action of any pump gun I've handled. Loved it.

speedydave
10-21-2011, 14:47
I took mine with me to the gun show two weeks ago. The guy checking weapons bought it from me. Got me a new pistol out of the deal to boot so I am happy. I am going to get a new shotgun soon though. I like the 870 but look looking at other options too. I am working on my FFL right now.

After all this he sold it.

I happen to have all of the big 3 pumps. mossberg 590, Remington 870 7 shot, Winchester 1300 stainless defender. I love the action on the winchester.

Each of them have their good points and bad points. I would say the remington is my least favorite.

Glock 1
10-22-2011, 22:19
Yes, its gone. I have a plan for a replacement. Probably the 9 shot Mossberg. 590 I think? Will have to double check the model #. I really like that gun. Especially in the stainless. And, I can find parts for it. Becoming a dealer helped seal the deal on the sale.

cdog533
10-23-2011, 00:32
This statement has my interest. Can you elaborate?

My dad has a 15 year old 1300 defender and I have a new 870. I would much rather have the Winchester. It feels like a better built weapon than the 870. The action is smoother and the ergo's are better IMO.

Both are great shotugns but I feel the 1300 has a leg up.

It seems like 870s, followed by 590's, are favored by pros and LE people. Also, more accessories are typically available for those guns.

It is subjective, and my 1300 works fine what it does, which is sit loaded and ready 365 days a year, so I am happy with it.

speedydave
10-23-2011, 08:13
Yes, its gone. I have a plan for a replacement. Probably the 9 shot Mossberg. 590 I think? Will have to double check the model #. I really like that gun. Especially in the stainless. And, I can find parts for it. Becoming a dealer helped seal the deal on the sale.

They don't make a stainless 590. It's just a silver coating.

sigman69
10-23-2011, 08:23
I have a winchester defender and the FN model...both excellent guns and smooth actions. I really like mine I would say value is about 250-275 I dont care for shotguns without stocks though.

Glock 1
10-23-2011, 08:53
They don't make a stainless 590. It's just a silver coating.

Yeah its like a silver parkerized look. I like it a lot.

Glock 1
10-24-2011, 08:36
I like this one as a replacement. I like the Marinecote but its not necessary in my environment.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/53693.jpg

leadispenser
10-24-2011, 16:29
the 1300 is rock solid. I had one and put at least 1,000 rounds thru it in 1 year (owned it for 7) . Never had a glitch and I am not that great about cleaning...Sold it to a buddy and it still runs like it is NIB.

TedG
11-03-2011, 18:18
I think it's a great shotgun.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/WIN1300DEFcopy.jpg

CU4X4N
11-10-2011, 21:42
I love my 1300!

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/cu4x4n/Photos/Cache/WinchesterDefender1300.jpg

Bought it used a few years ago for $140 bucks.

Can't believe they're going for $250+ now.

Restless28
11-11-2011, 07:48
I love my old Defender. It was a squad car gun. It even has sun bleached wood from being in the rack for years.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/SU1HMDAxMjYtMjAxMDEwMDItMTIwMy5qcGc.jpg

Maine1
11-11-2011, 19:44
My dad has a 1300 that has been used HARD, harder than the vast majority of the "tactical" weapons owned by most. he is an avid cat/rabbit hunter, and uses the 1300, with little cleaning, under pretty harsh conditions.
I have had it apart several times to clean it, and i think its a good quality weapon.
The 590 is my choice, as i hunted with the 500 and am used to it, and i think the 870 is overrated and pricey for what a 12 ga pump is to do.

IT0
11-12-2011, 09:02
The 1300 with wood furniture has been on my wish list for years. I regretted selling my first one from the moment I put the money in my wallet.

Glockbuster
12-04-2011, 13:20
I'm in love with my 1300 defender. I come from the Mossberg but like this one better, despite frequent contrary opinion. I just love the silky smooth fast action.

F14Scott
12-04-2011, 21:45
I bought mine in 1997 as I drove across country alone. Walked into an AZ Wal-Mart and walked out the door, twenty minutes later, with the 7+1 synthetic for about $250, IIRC.

Great HD shotgun with a light and a fiber-optic sight on the front, and a side saddle on the receiver. #4 buck in the tube and slugs in the side saddle.

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 15:05
I LOVE my 1300. Sad that parts are getting harder to come by.

I've started using my 870 as my primary shotgun due to it taking almost a week to find a replacement extractor that broke on my 1300.

RUDEDOG.357
12-20-2011, 22:28
My 1300 with the speed pump is awesome.