You ever just feel like giving up? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : You ever just feel like giving up?

rsagona1
09-14-2011, 13:28
3 years in the process and I'm not hired yet. Granted I am at the final stages and waiting to get the "you're hired" letter, but nothing sucks more than driving around, seeing a police car and wondering if you're ever going to drive one.

Seriously the worst process I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

/rant

msu_grad_121
09-14-2011, 13:41
I'm right there with you, believe me. I've got a stack at least 20 deep of rejection letters from departments I've applied to, and I've easily put 5,000+ miles on my car just going to different job processes.

I won't say anything as contrived as "keep th faith" or anything, as I'm sure you've heard it all before, easily as may times as I have. Personally, I keep applying at this point out of habit more than anything.

Try to believe that it will work out and be worth it, and feel free to PM if you need to talk, or just want to vent.

KiloBravo
09-14-2011, 13:57
Hang in there buddy! I am in the EXACT same position as yourself, and I can fully relate to how you are feeling...

I started the testing/application process for the current department I am waiting for in January of 2009. All I have left is the psych/medical evaluation. If I get my invitation to that this week or next, I should be completing the process by sometime in early October. I am hopeful to start the next academy class in November of this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and I will now keep them crossed for you as well.

I get the same feeling when I see a State Trooper cruiser buzz by me in town as well.

We just need to keep our noses clean, and keep working out and getting into shape. Think of all of this extra time as a blessing to get better prepared physically. At least that is what I am trying to do. LOL

If you ever want to chat, you can feel free to PM me as well. I would happily give you my email address if that would help you out at all. :wavey:

ScarMack
09-14-2011, 14:30
I just filled out my application for the academy...Starts up in January. Turning 22 today, I hope being a "young buck" is a advantage, expecially being in great shape. Running a mile in just under 6 minutes and can bust out 20 pullups with ease.

Nothing worst than seeing another officer drive by and imagining it being you...I do it all the time. Especially the K9 guys. Thats my dream job. I love guns, I love dogs, to mix it all into a job, sign me up :)

rsagona1
09-14-2011, 14:43
I'm right there with you, believe me. I've got a stack at least 20 deep of rejection letters from departments I've applied to, and I've easily put 5,000+ miles on my car just going to different job processes.

I was thinking the same thing. I have gone through oil change after oil change, only to get a letter within 4 days telling me, "sorry we're not interested".
Personally, I keep applying at this point out of habit more than anything.

Same, I don't know anything else. I am a computer programmer but my dream has always been law enforcement. It's a damn good thing I got a degree that lets me work until I get hired.

Good luck to you bro.

rsagona1
09-14-2011, 14:45
Hang in there buddy! I am in the EXACT same position as yourself, and I can fully relate to how you are feeling...

I started the testing/application process for the current department I am waiting for in January of 2009. All I have left is the psych/medical evaluation. If I get my invitation to that this week or next, I should be completing the process by sometime in early October. I am hopeful to start the next academy class in November of this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and I will now keep them crossed for you as well.

Good luck to you too brother.

I get the same feeling when I see a State Trooper cruiser buzz by me in town as well.

The worst is when it's somebody your age. There is this one particular agency where I have wanted to work my entire life. The budget was so bad that I even followed the budget meetings and county council meetings just to see when there would be a class. When word finally came out there would be a class, I received a "no thanks" letter. I waited 2 years for this one particular agency. The worst also is seeing your friends get hired.

rsagona1
09-14-2011, 14:47
I just filled out my application for the academy...Starts up in January. Turning 22 today, I hope being a "young buck" is a advantage, expecially being in great shape. Running a mile in just under 6 minutes and can bust out 20 pullups with ease.

Nothing worst than seeing another officer drive by and imagining it being you...I do it all the time. Especially the K9 guys. Thats my dream job. I love guns, I love dogs, to mix it all into a job, sign me up :)

First, happy birthday. Second, good times and numbers..keep staying in shape. My best time (for the 1.5 mile) was 12:30. That was actually with a messed up foot with bandages on it. I want this job badly.

Panzergrenadier1979
09-14-2011, 15:03
3 years in the process and I'm not hired yet. Granted I am at the final stages and waiting to get the "you're hired" letter, but nothing sucks more than driving around, seeing a police car and wondering if you're ever going to drive one.

Seriously the worst process I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

/rant

I don't know how it is in Maryland but, if you can, putting yourself through the academy on your own could make you much more appealing to a PD during the selection process. Some PDs have their own academy that you must attend (thus making this option non-applicable) but others may like the fact that you are already "paid for", so to say.

It worked for me.

RocPO
09-14-2011, 15:41
Just keep in mind it took the majority of us multiple tries to get in. And that was when the economy wasn't in the toilet. It took me 4 years to get hired.

Good luck bro, don't give up.

SAR
09-14-2011, 16:14
How bad do you want to do it? If you really want to get hired, make use of your time and make yourself marketable. Police Departments are always hiring. The two best ways to get hired are education and military experience. If you want it bad enough, you will do one or the other and it will make it much easier to get hired.

4949shooter
09-14-2011, 16:35
Good advice on this thread.

It took me three years to get hired by my agency. If that didn't work out for me I had taken the civil service test for some local agencies in the county I resided in at the time.

If it's meant to be it will happen. You just can't give up.

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 16:38
For those looking in the midwest:

Davenport, Iowa PD is testing in a month or so. Starting pay $49k, top end for an officer $69k. Approximately 160 officer department that seems to hire a minimum of 6-10 officers per year. Decent retirement system.

Bruce M
09-14-2011, 17:10
Remember that right now alot of agencies are not hiring which increases the pool of applicants. It may be a couple years down the road, but eventually there will be more agencies hiring which will open up doors for alot of applicants.

Bushido5150
09-14-2011, 18:58
I hear you OP. I graduated from the academy last October. I've applied to over 75 jobs and have spent over $500 on testing. I'll I've have to show for it is a stack of rejection letters and two positive contacts with a department. (in backgrounds for one) (fingers very very crossed)
The really disappointing part is that if I don't get an offer by this October 30th I have to re certify and pay around $2000 for that. Not to mention the student loans...well at least I have a degree :upeyes:.

Don't give up if its what you really want to do. I'll end up in the poor house before I call it quits.:rofl:

Patchman
09-14-2011, 19:22
It's notoriously difficult to break into LE. Larger agencies are easier simply because they hire more people. And once you have a LE job, it's easier (at least psychologically) to look for another one.

Hang in there guys.

faceplant
09-14-2011, 19:29
Not the best of times to get hired. Keep trying. It took me 5yrs of trying. I would take any test available police or fire just to get the experience of written tests and oral boards. I turned 42 and time was running out. I still don't know the magic but that year I was given 5 job offers. 3 fire and 2 police. I took the fire side:tongueout:

mixflip
09-14-2011, 19:33
I feel for you brother. The sad fact is there are cops (a few friends of mine personally) that were already cops and have been laid off so regular Joes have to compete with seasoned cops for what ever cop jobs are left during the recession.

People retire or get injured or move on... so they cant stay frozen foreveer...hang in there.

Vigilant
09-14-2011, 20:20
Consider starting out in Corrections, putting in a couple years at least, and then applying again. Some good experience inside the fence could prove to be quite valuable in the long run, and may very well appeal to some potential employers.

Some Counties start everyone out in the jail. Some move up to road patrol; some end up being stuck in the jail. And then there are those who end up liking it inside the looking glass.

I would give it some thought.

Hack
09-14-2011, 20:28
Military experience is a good in with certain types of federal service. Corrections is also a good way to get some experience whilst you are waiting.

JohnnyReb
09-14-2011, 21:44
I have been in the process with a federal agency, for over a year now. I passed my Poly, Psych, and medical in Febuary, and I'm still waiting to hear back. Their budget, along with the rest of the federal government is pretty messed up right now.

I just recently started the process with a small town agency, with 16 officers about 3 months ago. There is only one slot available, and there are a total of 6 people in the running for it.

I suspect some will be weeded out in the background process, but all in all I suppose its not bad odds.

My transfer request from the corrections division at my agency was denied, so I'm looking elsewhere.

In the meantime, I have a decent job, and I'll actually be taking a significant pay cut if hired by the town. I'm willing to take it, for the shot of doing something I've always dreamed of doing.

Keep your head up, and depending on your personal situation, if relocating is an option, Baltimore City is hiring still, very regularly. They have an expedited out of state process as well.

Good luck!

Rabbi
09-14-2011, 22:11
Good luck. It is not a fun process....frankly, it sucks.

On another note, if you really want it, why dont you go where they are hiring? While things have become a little tighter here, most of the big cities in Texas are still hiring all the time. San Antonio probably runs 3-4 academies a year. That is about 200 people. Dallas and Houston have similar numbers.

Cochese
09-14-2011, 22:35
Yeah, it sucks.

I applied when I was still 20 and didn't hire on until I was 23. Almost 24.

Gonna be 31 soon. I'm already on department number three and looking to go federal. I've been in the federal process for two years. :rofl:

JohnnyReb
09-14-2011, 22:50
Yeah, it sucks.

I've been in the federal process for two years. :rofl:

My conditional offer expires this coming Febuary, unless a class is run right after the new fiscal year in october, I'll have to go through it all again.:upeyes:

lsmountainman
09-14-2011, 23:10
I was a Deputy in a department back east in the 90's, didn't like it and gave it up for 11 years. Then I got the itch about 3-4 years ago and applied to a different department in another state. Got hired at age 37 and am loving it. The timing wasn't right for me the first time. My point is, if you want it bad enough then persist. Sometimes these delays are lessons in patience, when the timing is right the Almighty will let you know. Don't give up if you truly want it!

Cochese
09-14-2011, 23:19
My conditional offer expires this coming Febuary, unless a class is run right after the new fiscal year in october, I'll have to go through it all again.:upeyes:

I was ready for my conditional, then Obama ruled FCIP illegal, and I was booted from my process just short of two years into it. Then, they changed the process and made me reapply. There is a new bracketing system in place which eliminates my chance at a home office and guarantees I have to move.

If I even get hired.

I feel your pain.

Morris
09-14-2011, 23:43
Better yet, come west of the East Coast. Different opportunities, sometimes more hiring.

Fireplug
09-15-2011, 04:00
Like my wife told when we dated....It'll be worth the wait! :cool:

Vigilant
09-15-2011, 09:29
Like my wife told when we dated....It'll be worth the wait! :cool:

There's a lot to be said for doing things the old-fashioned way in that regard. :thumbsup:

Ajon412
09-15-2011, 10:34
I won't say anything as contrived as "keep the faith" or anything, as I'm sure you've heard it all before, easily as may times as I have. Personally, I keep applying at this point out of habit more than anything.

Yea, don't you just hate it when people tell you that.....:upeyes: As I've mentioned to some, don't give up. Use the "thanks, but no thanks" letters as motivation to keep trying, even though in this economy it's tough to find a job in police work. If you're flexible and you're able to move, think about re-locating to a different part of the country. I know quite a few who have moved around until they found an agency / department that suited them. Good luck.

msu_grad_121
09-15-2011, 11:40
Yea, don't you just hate it when people tell you that.....:upeyes:

:rofl:Just gonna pimp me like that, brother? See how you are? :rofl:

For anyone reading (because Ajon and I have already HAD this conversation), I'm not saying it's not appreciated, but after hearing it dozens of times from folks that have good full time jobs (some who are even on their 2nd :upeyes: :rofl:), it gets hard to hear.

Forgive me if I'm talking out of turn OP, but I don't think anybody is really, honestly considering giving up, we're more just venting about our repeated disappointments, that's all. I think it has to do with the overly high ratio of type A personalities that are trying to get into this line of work, seeing as we can't control the outcome, we tend to get bent out of shape. Again, I don't mean to speak for anyone else.

MeefZah
09-15-2011, 12:10
Bro, you gotta keep plugging away. Something will come along.

I'm not religious in the least (agnostic, actually), but I firmly believe that things happen for a reason.

For every rejection you get now, at some point in the future it will become clear why that happened.

I made a recent thread about my experiences getting hired on. Now granted, I have nearly 15 years of LE experience, 12+ full time, but I was hitting a wall. When it was all said and done I had applied at 150 agencies, tested at over 20, interviewed at over 20, and driven to 3 states and 4000+ miles.

Now that I finally got a great job, everything is coming together. My house, which was on the market nearly a year, finally sold; so my family and I can move east unencumbered by that. The new job is absolutely awesome, we are stupid busy and this place promotes real cop work. I'm happier than I have been in a long time... but a month ago, before all this happened, I was pretty well down in the dumps.

Bottom line: apply for every job - no matter how far away, how ****ty it may seem, how disinterested in it you are. Follow through with tests, interviews, and backgrounds. Take the rejections in stride and know that something is around the corner... you just gotta keep pushing to get around that corner.

Best of luck.

-Mark

GeorgiaRedfish
09-15-2011, 12:33
I am right there with you, I thought I finally had a job, because my recruiter kept saying there is no reason for the chief to say no. Apparently the chief found one. It really does kill your spirit, but I am keeping at it. Hang in there man you aren't alone and it is very tough.

Ajon412
09-15-2011, 13:16
:rofl:Just gonna pimp me like that, brother? See how you are? :rofl:

For anyone reading (because Ajon and I have already HAD this conversation), I'm not saying it's not appreciated, but after hearing it dozens of times from folks that have good full time jobs (some who are even on their 2nd :upeyes: :rofl:), it gets hard to hear.

:cheers:...It's all "good in the hood" brother....:rofl:

JBaird22
09-17-2011, 22:44
I've been a cop for almost 10 years with almost 6 of those coming at my most recent department. I tested pretty heavily in 2009 and 2010 but after a rejection in 2010 that looked like a lock, I gave up. Part of this also was relocating.

A new baby, and some other workplace related factors, I've decided to get back on my horse and try again.

It's all about selling yourself. Make them believe you're the best candidate they have because you are. What's in your background that keeps you from being hired? What can you do to fix it? And some of the things in your background that might be a negative, what are the positive things from it that you can draw? The lessons learned? In law enforcement you're going to have a lot of negative things happen to you and around you that you might encounter. Some of these things might be something you did or caused, some of them might have happened to you just because you did your job. What are the things you can learn? What are the things you would have done differently? What are the things you would do in the future?

Good luck.

South Fla
09-17-2011, 23:11
For you guys waiting to get hired, do everything you can to make yourself as marketable as possible NOW.

Because just think, if the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan end tomorrow, how many of those soldiers coming back also want to be in law enforcement? And the prevailing attitude is to take a military person over your average schmoe.

So do it now before the market becomes even more glutted.

rsagona1
09-20-2011, 20:58
Just want to thank everyone for the words of encouragement. I put in another app today, I ain't giving up.

Aquanewt
09-20-2011, 22:13
Good Luck to you. If you have been applying in MD I certainly hope you have been avoiding that cess pit in the middle of the state.

JohnnyReb
09-21-2011, 00:29
Good Luck to you. If you have been applying in MD I certainly hope you have been avoiding that cess pit in the middle of the state.

But there are so many!