parole skaters question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : parole skaters question

oldgraywolf
09-14-2011, 16:56
I'm wondering how much effort goes into snagging these guys, particularly in my state, Michigan.

Almost two months ago, I had a confrontation with a guy who had just gotten out of the joint six weeks earlier on parole from armed robbery and weapons convictions, also an habitual offender. He'd been in since early 1998.

Dude was pulling a scam on my brother and I did some poking around while bro was out of town. I got the Sheriff Dept. involved and the guy got an extended interview with both deputies and the state police but wasn't arrested.

I guess the parolee figured he was headed back to the big house and disappeared.

So, do you guys mostly pick up turds like this via traffic stops or snagging him when he screws up again, or will officers or detectives actively seek out people he's been known to associate with, his relatives, etc. and use other investigative techniques to get him back into custody?

I'm not particularly worried for my own safety as I'm sure he's headed back to the southeast part of the state where he can get lost more easily than this very rural area I live in. He'd stick out like a sore thumb here, anyway, as he's _covered_ in tats. And I have dogs and guns, usually both present.

If PMs would be a better way to talk about this, that'd be fine with me. I can also give a link to his OTIS profile (MI offender tracking) if any of you want it.

Thanks.

steveksux
09-14-2011, 21:04
You can throw a link to his OTIS profilen on here, can't you?, that's public info anyway.

Randy

DaBigBR
09-14-2011, 21:23
I would say that around here there are so damned many absconded parolees and probationers that they don't look really hard unless you're pretty high profile. It's unfortunate. Most probation/parole officers in my state are not peace officers with power of on-view arrest, so you have a handful of certified officers per judicial district, most of which have their own caseload (all of high risk, intensive supervision, offenders) that would be the folks to look for the absconders. Agencies around here don't have fugitive task forces or fugitive units or anything like that, so unless there's a patrol cop or a detective with a hard-on for somebody, a good idea of where he is, and the free time and lee-way from the bosses to go looking, they just get picked up on traffic stops or when caught doing something else stupid.

The high risk probation folks here do make an effort to look for absconders when they are first entered, but they already have plenty to do. It's unfortunate.

oldgraywolf
09-15-2011, 05:28
BR, that's what I suspected. The Detroit area (where he's from) must be packed with his sort. I don't doubt he'll be back in the graybar at some point as he wasn't on parole for two months and was already breaking the rules. At age 39, he has a long time to spend hiding.

Interesting note: One of his earlier crimes (1996, two counts) was disinterment. I looked up the law and it's just what it sounds like.

Thanks.

RVER
09-15-2011, 09:06
In PA, state parole absconders (fugitives) are the agencies highest priority. Agents have arrest powers and work closely with the USMS fugitive task forces and other L.E. agencies. When a lead comes in it is generally followed up on quickly and PBPP also has agents assigned to dedicated fugitive apprehension (FAST) teams.

Good luck, stay safe.

Sampo
09-15-2011, 10:27
Not sure how it works in your state but I can provide some insight into NC's process and hopefully it'll provide some info for you.

NC Probation/Parole Officers supervise probation, parole, and post-release offenders. They are sworn LE/Court Officers, with Statewide jurisdiction and POA.

Once an "offender" absconds (fugitive of supervision) the PO issues a formal violation with the courts and takes out warrants. That "paper" stays active until they are caught and served, whether its 2 weeks after or 20 years after. After the offender has been placed in absconding status, the case is transferred to a Surveillance Officer, he/she along with the PO actively look for the offender, the SO takes primary duties for locating the offender. PO's go back to their other 80-90 offenders. The warrant goes into a state wide digital database that can be accessed by anyone within the Judicial system; i.e. LE, Mag., Clerk of Crt....essentially "paper" can be served state wide.
A lot of times the more successful fugitives get caught for minor infractions; speeding, seatbelt tickets, because they've managed to maintain a low profile, and just run out of luck.

PO's actively search for their absconders as a unit, and with the assistance of the locals, and USMS. Lots of times however, at traffic stops, records won't be run and they won't find the active warrant/s and the absconder gets a free pass.

Best thing to do is find out how the PO system is set up, are they county employees, state, municipal, private (good luck, in that case)? Find out how the areas of supervision are set up? In the NC they are based on State Divisions, then Judicial Districts, then County Lines, and then within Zones depending on the size of the county. After that you can contact the original officer/agent and address your concerns, address active warrants, who relevant info regarding the offender should be forwarded to, and the offender's profile (if its legal and public info). Remember, once they leave they almost always come "home", so last known addresses and contacts will be big to follow up.

From what RVER wrote, NC's system is pretty close to PA's.

Hope this helps, ask away if you've got any more ?'s

Cochese
09-15-2011, 13:03
In Colorado, parolees "at large" or escapees, have a felony warrant drafted by a state parole officer. They have a fugitive unit that goes after them and we (locals) can pick them up on warrants. They go to jail on a no bond hold, then before the board, then revoked for 30, 60, 90, 180 days etc.

oldgraywolf
09-15-2011, 14:32
In Colorado, parolees "at large" or escapees, have a felony warrant drafted by a state parole officer. They have a fugitive unit that goes after them and we (locals) can pick them up on warrants. They go to jail on a no bond hold, then before the board, then revoked for 30, 60, 90, 180 days etc.

Am I reading this wrong (good possibility, don't know the language), or are you saying that they can get bonded out or paroled again after a relatively short period? Seems odd to me that a guy who's already grown wings would be given another chance to fly.

Cochese
09-15-2011, 14:38
Welcome to budget issues!!!

oldgraywolf
09-15-2011, 14:52
I'll bet liberals have some part in that, too.

Cochese
09-15-2011, 14:57
Liberals... aka the parole board. :faint:

DaBigBR
09-15-2011, 16:50
Am I reading this wrong (good possibility, don't know the language), or are you saying that they can get bonded out or paroled again after a relatively short period? Seems odd to me that a guy who's already grown wings would be given another chance to fly.

Yep.

Here, if your supervision period expires before the warrant is served, or if it expires while they are in the process of revoking you, they just drop the whole thing like it never happened.

oldgraywolf
09-15-2011, 17:47
Yep.

Here, if your supervision period expires before the warrant is served, or if it expires while they are in the process of revoking you, they just drop the whole thing like it never happened.

Getting out of jail free isn't a concept that should be carried beyond a certain board game. We're paying people to come up with a system like this? No wonder you guys burn out.

DaBigBR
09-15-2011, 17:54
Getting out of jail free isn't a concept that should be carried beyond a certain board game. We're paying people to come up with a system like this? No wonder you guys burn out.

I just make it a point to know my place and live and work within the system. We can't even arrest for probation violations witnessed on view (or search probationers without their consent or at their PO's request), but that doesn't stop me from documenting EVERY contact (good or bad) with EVERY supervised offender that I encounter. To include requesting (and usually receiving) a breath test from them. I'm not sure whether the probation/parole folks love me or hate me for filling their inboxes, but I figure that since the system is so generous to the offenders, that I'm going to make sure that the system knows about what they are doing.

oldgraywolf
09-15-2011, 18:18
I just make it a point to know my place and live and work within the system. We can't even arrest for probation violations witnessed on view (or search probationers without their consent or at their PO's request)

Nothing like having to wear your own handcuffs, huh? That's sad.

RVER
09-16-2011, 15:53
In Colorado, They go to jail on a no bond hold, then before the board, then revoked for 30, 60, 90, 180 days etc.

:shocked:
I typically see (9) month minimum state prison hits for non violent offenders that stay on the run for (1) month and failed to surrender. When an offender runs his parole time "freezes", a warrant is issued with full extradiction (to include international), and the warrant is cancelled only when the body is in custody or a death certificate is produced.

If an offender is arrested on a new criminal charge while on supervision they are held either in county jail or state prison until trial. If they make bail on the new charge then state parole takes custody of them and they are held in prison until trial. If convicted of a new crime in a county or federal court, they are are subject to loss of all of their street time and their Max date is recomputed. Owed state time is served consecutively to any new sentence.

If an offender successfully completed parole and it is later discovered that they committed a crime while on supervision, upon conviction in a county or federal court for that crime, state parole will take custody of them if they are un-sentenced and return them to prison where the information noted above applies.

DaBigBR, Only a slug Agent wouldn't love you. Document, document, document. If you issue them as little as a summary citation for PD, DC... and the bad guy does anything remotely scary, note it on the citation Example: "Subject verbally threatening... OC / Taser / Bean Bag deployed"... That will be worth a return to state prison for a minimum of (9) months for "Assaultive Behavior".

Stay Safe!!!