Anyone have a crisis cooker? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a crisis cooker?

ric0123
09-14-2011, 17:26
http://www.crisiscooker.com/

Interesting item but seems a little high priced. Any feedback?

G29Reload
09-14-2011, 17:44
What an overpriced POS.

Sucker bait. Label it with a panic-y name and talk about Iran getting the bomb then charge almost 200 bucks for a piece of sheet metal.
:upeyes:

I have a crisis cooker. Its called a Weber Grill. I paid less than 50 bucks for it 20 years ago. Still going strong.

Cook a TG turkey with 12 briquettes? My butt. A turkey wing, maybe.

Aceman
09-14-2011, 18:30
Um, no. I do have a few cans of propane and a big ass grill and a turkey cooker. I'll try to get by.

TangoFoxtrot
09-15-2011, 03:06
I'll stick with my gas grill, turkey fryer and steel firepit.

SFCSMITH(RET)
09-15-2011, 06:56
I will say it is probably a rip off of this..

Cobb Grill (http://www.cobbamerica.com/)

We have some good friends who use one all the time when camping, (Cobb) it is all they say it is. I have never seen them do a turkey, but they have roasted whole chickens and cornish game hens on/in it. On 8-9 briquets.

I watched them on Labor day, they did 5 baked potatoes, then 5 ears of corn and 5 burgers on it, 1 load of briquets. We carry a "smokey joe" by weber in our camper.. some day it WILL die (20 y.o. now...) when it does, we WILL buy a Cobb.

Bilbo Bagins
09-15-2011, 07:36
What an overpriced POS.

Sucker bait. Label it with a panic-y name and talk about Iran getting the bomb then charge almost 200 bucks for a piece of sheet metal.
:upeyes:

I have a crisis cooker. Its called a Weber Grill. I paid less than 50 bucks for it 20 years ago. Still going strong.

Cook a TG turkey with 12 briquettes? My butt. A turkey wing, maybe.

+1

Walmart has one of those small Hibachi/tailgate charcoal grills for $21, and a similar sized propane portable grill for $25 :upeyes:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniflame-Tabletop-Charcoal-Grill/13056701

http://www.walmart.com/ip/UniFlame-198-sq-in-Portable-Gas-Grill-Deep-Cobalt/15540541?findingMethod=rr

wjv
09-15-2011, 10:11
That's just a re-labeled Volcano Grill that you can buy for $90 from other sources.

$92.95 on Amazon

SFCSMITH(RET)
09-28-2011, 06:48
OK, a link... if you think you want one.. here it is for $75 to the house.. today only!!

Cobb Grill (http://www.woot.com/sale/cobb-portable-stainless-steel-grill-and-smoker-1?utm_campaign=Amazon+Daily+-+20110928+-+Woot+-+cobb-portable-stainless-steel-grill-and-smoker-1&utm_source=Amazon&utm_medium=email)

cowboy1964
09-28-2011, 11:00
I will say it is probably a rip off of this..

Cobb Grill (http://www.cobbamerica.com/)

Can it operate on fuel other than charcoal? Like the Volcano.

SFCSMITH(RET)
09-29-2011, 06:31
Can it operate on fuel other than charcoal? Like the Volcano.

As far as I know it can. That was the purpose of it's original design, so it could be used in remote areas with what ever you have to burn, and do it efficiently. You can get a version for propane use, but I see no purpose myself. I have never seen my friends use it with anything other than charcoal.. so I can't say what is involved with using, say, hickory chunks. But in my world, fire is fire...

fourdeuce2
09-29-2011, 11:59
I have several crisis cookers. I have several Coleman stoves and one volcano stove that I bought almost new at a thrift store for $25. If all those fail, I have 45 acres of land where I can build a campfire and cook.:rofl:

Glock30Eric
09-29-2011, 13:13
What a junk? I could have used my Iron Cast pan right on top of camp fire, bon fire, or whatever it produces heat and get the same result.

You could even cook Iron Cast on top of your engine but I won't want to eat it. ;)

quake
09-29-2011, 14:13
Interesting concept, but seriously overpriced imo. Makes me think of a charcoal chimney stuck inside of a ventilated metal 5-gallon bucket, which could be had for probably $15-$20 total. Yes, it does have the raised legs for isolating it heat-wise, but you could stick the 5-gallon bucket on three or four bricks to raise it up & accomplish the same thing I bet.

Just a thought, and now I'm actually curious about using a charcoal chimney as the core of a new home-made cooker. I may have to try that out & see how well it works.

Glock30Eric
09-29-2011, 14:30
Interesting concept, but seriously overpriced imo. Makes me think of a charcoal chimney stuck inside of a ventilated metal 5-gallon bucket, which could be had for probably $15-$20 total. Yes, it does have the raised legs for isolating it heat-wise, but you could stick the 5-gallon bucket on three or four bricks to raise it up & accomplish the same thing I bet.

Just a thought, and now I'm actually curious about using a charcoal chimney as the core of a new home-made cooker. I may have to try that out & see how well it works.

It will work.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SFCSMITH(RET)
10-07-2011, 08:54
What a junk? I could have used my Iron Cast pan right on top of camp fire, bon fire, or whatever it produces heat and get the same result.

You could even cook Iron Cast on top of your engine but I won't want to eat it. ;)

Sorry been out of town.. BUT..

In a "crisis" situation you may not want to, or be able to, build a nice big old bonfire, or even a campfire...

Fuel could be limited or resupply could be a problem in your AO.
May want to keep a low profile.
Might want something a bit portable.

Or you may want a small, just for cooking fire. I know in August I don't want a bonfire just to cook a bit.

Glock30Eric
10-07-2011, 09:03
Sorry been out of town.. BUT..

In a "crisis" situation you may not want to, or be able to, build a nice big old bonfire, or even a campfire...

Fuel could be limited or resupply could be a problem in your AO.
May want to keep a low profile.
Might want something a bit portable.

Or you may want a small, just for cooking fire. I know in August I don't want a bonfire just to cook a bit.

Yeah you are right. My brother was a SERE instructor and I learned how to make a small fire to keep it low profile. You just need to dig into the ground and make two air ways to it. Put make a fire in the ground and then put rocks on top of it. That's it. You can put fresh leaves on top of it to keep the smoke low profile *don't let it got up with the fire :)*