Getting a third monitor - questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a third monitor - questions

Drjones
09-14-2011, 18:10
Hi guys.

I have decided I want a third monitor for my computer.

Here's the graphics card I currently have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130378

And here's the MoBo I have: http://www.amazon.com/P8P67-REV-3-0-Supported-Motherboard/dp/B004QF0VEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316045276&sr=8-1

Can I simply purchase another graphics card, pop it in, and connect my third monitor?

No, I don't want to do SLI/crossfire, or any gaming crap, I just want to be able to multitask better.

Thanks

Hef
09-14-2011, 18:55
Make sure your power supply is up to the task. Otherwise, it will probably be smooth sailing IMO.

StarvinMarvin
09-14-2011, 19:15
Yes, should work fine. Just get another Nvidia card to avoid driver conflicts. This will probably be your cheapest option.

Or you could switch to the red team and try out eyefinity, one video card to run all three displays. There would be some drawbacks to this though (not sure how it handles different resolutions and one monitor needs to support display port or use an adapter).

JimmyN
09-15-2011, 12:18
I agree with Marvin, stick with another nVidia and all three monitors will show up in your nVidia control panel. That will make things easier. And since you're not going to use SLI it will work fine. Standard SLI with more than two monitors can be problematic unless you use "Surround Vision" so the system sees them as one really wide monitor. That's what SLI does best, multiple adapters driving a single monitor. But the monitors specs need to be a very, very close match or identical for surround vision.

Without SLI you can set different resolutions and refresh rates for each monitor. I built a three head system that had two 1920x1080 monitors, and one 1280x1040 monitor. No SLI and it worked just fine, you could even drag windows from a 1920 screen over to the 1280 screen and back without a problem. If it was video playing in the window it would go black for a second because of the different resolution, but would come right back as the video refreshed the image. It's still working as far as I know, I haven't heard any complaints.