Stuff these two pockets with GHB stuff [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stuff these two pockets with GHB stuff

emt1581
09-14-2011, 21:44
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/MERLIN-Folding-Backpack-12p389.htm

I'm thinking of buying this bag for my motorcycle. I'm not worried about thieves at home but when at the grocery store or wal-mart, anything is possible. I think a cable lock will take care of anyone trying to walk off with it while passing by.

Anyway, for the two pockets I'd like to pack them with some essentials of both a biker and an S&Per. The bike's tool kit is already locked in the backrest in case you were going to suggest it.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks :)

-Emt1581

kirgi08
09-15-2011, 02:44
And if someone cuts the pack away from the cable.'08. :dunno:

TangoFoxtrot
09-15-2011, 02:56
..or if someone just takes the bike itself!

emt1581
09-15-2011, 05:01
And if someone cuts the pack away from the cable.'08. :dunno:

The cable is going to be woven throughout the webbing plus it'll surround the bag. I do it with my bag now. So even if you cut the bag apart it's really difficult to open the zippers and picking it up and taking it is out the the question without bolt cutters.

But for the purposes of this thread I'm just looking for advice on what would be good to have with me in the area of motorcycles and S&P stuff.

EDIT: I know I said "GHB" stuff in the title. I'm thinking general S&P stuff would be better to focus on with the limited space.

Thanks

-Emt1581

sebecman
09-15-2011, 09:48
Surely a man of your S/P experience and means can come up with a list of items that you might need while on a motorcycle.

All I ever carried on my bike was a tool kit, a flashlight and some cash, (bills and change).

wjv
09-15-2011, 10:23
- Spyderco G-10
- Sangean DT-210
- ITP SA2 R5 or a JetBeam BA20
- Heatsheet Emergency Bivvy OR Heatsheet Emergency Blanket
- Frontier Emergency Water Filter Straw
- AA & AAA batteries
- Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations, 9 Bars
- Para-cord
- SE Lensatic Compass
- County map (waterproof)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet3/SWB2.jpg

cyrsequipment
09-15-2011, 10:27
All I ever carried on my bike was a tool kit, a flashlight and some cash, (bills and change).

I made $75 one day from a guy on a bike... He tailgated me all the way to my house, ( I was driving a bit too slow for his liking) and when I went to turn left into my driveway he passed me on the left, pulled a "wheelie" as he passed, and flipped me off...

As he lifted his front wheel a stack of cash fell out of his jacket pocket and all over the road in front of my house.

I collected the money and held it for a couple days, but for some reason he never came back... :whistling:

M1A Shooter
09-16-2011, 00:56
id put rain gear, a leatherman/Gerber, C3-907 light :), tire plug kit, co2 tire inflator.

RatDrall
09-16-2011, 05:36
tire plug kit, co2 tire inflator.

Not needed with modern tires?

Instead of spending space on parts to fix your bike, where the possibilities are endless, why not keep items to be more comfortable while you wait for assistance on the side of the road?

One of those small tube tents, emergeny bivy sack, emergency poncho, fire starting equipment, Frontier Straw, Platypus collapsable 1L canteen...

And most importantly on a bike: As big a trauma kit as you can handle. Not for anyone you might help, but for you, if/when you go down. Lots of Kerlix, some quick clot, lots of gauze, 6x6s, etc.

emt1581
09-16-2011, 05:41
id put rain gear, a leatherman/Gerber, C3-907 light :), tire plug kit, co2 tire inflator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tusk-Tire-Repair-Kit-Motorcycle-ATV-UTV-CO2-Fill-/150462875781?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2308494885

This looks like a winner. Brilliant idea btw. ;)

I doubt rain gear will fit in the pockets plus I don't plan on riding in the rain

I have to look up the lights suggested. Plus I always have my leatherman Surge on me so I'm probably not going to buy another.

Thanks! :)

-Emt1581

Dexters
09-16-2011, 05:44
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/MERLIN-Folding-Backpack-12p389.htm

I'm thinking of buying this bag for my motorcycle. I'm not worried about thieves at home but when at the grocery store or wal-mart, anything is possible. I think a cable lock will take care of anyone trying to walk off with it while passing by.

-Emt1581

How will you prevent someone from unzipping or cutting it and taking what they want and leaving the bag.

Is it waterproof?

emt1581
09-16-2011, 05:46
Not needed with modern tires?

Instead of spending space on parts to fix your bike, where the possibilities are endless, why not keep items to be more comfortable while you wait for assistance on the side of the road?

S&P is all about helping ourselves. I'd rather patch my own tire than wait for the guy to roll out of bed, fart around, and slowly make his way to me in his tow/repair truck.

One of those small tube tents, emergeny bivy sack, emergency poncho, fire starting equipment, Frontier Straw, Platypus collapsable 1L canteen...

And most importantly on a bike: As big a trauma kit as you can handle. Not for anyone you might help, but for you, if/when you go down. Lots of Kerlix, some quick clot, lots of gauze, 6x6s, etc.

The clotting agent is another brilliant idea although for the vast majority of injuries I've seen it's capillary/road rash type stuff unless they don't wear a helmet/gear. Trauma kit is a great idea though!

So I guess in the end a patch kit for the bike and myself are the essentials.

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
09-16-2011, 05:57
How will you prevent someone from unzipping or cutting it and taking what they want and leaving the bag.

Is it waterproof?

If they wanted to be a jerk they could cut it, stab it, pour soda all over it, etc... however with a good long cable you make it like a cage using the webbing to thread it and keep it in place.

Will it prevent someone from ultimately taking it? No. Will it give me a few minutes against someone who does not have cutters? Yup.

Either way I am not as concerned about this as I am the contents as this can easily turn into a multi-page debate. Now if someone has any suggestions on a better way to secure the setup without adding anything permanent to the bike your ideas are certainly welcome.

-Emt1581

sebecman
09-16-2011, 06:49
I doubt rain gear will fit in the pockets plus I don't plan on riding in the rain

Most people don't plan on it. It happens. This is actually one of the better suggestions....beats a "clotting agent".

:faint:

wjv
09-16-2011, 09:59
Now if someone has any suggestions on a better way to secure the setup without adding anything permanent to the bike your ideas are certainly welcome.

-Emt1581

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2182/PN-055-0109/Pacsafe-SS-cargo-net-55L-85L

DoctaGlockta
09-16-2011, 10:35
surely a man of your s/p experience and means can come up with a list of items that you might need while on a motorcycle.

all i ever carried on my bike was a tool kit, a flashlight and some cash, (bills and change).

emt thread alert!!!!

Bilbo Bagins
09-16-2011, 11:53
I made $75 one day from a guy on a bike... He tailgated me all the way to my house, ( I was driving a bit too slow for his liking) and when I went to turn left into my driveway he passed me on the left, pulled a "wheelie" as he passed, and flipped me off...

As he lifted his front wheel a stack of cash fell out of his jacket pocket and all over the road in front of my house.

I collected the money and held it for a couple days, but for some reason he never came back... :whistling:

:rofl:I like that story

lawman800
09-16-2011, 12:25
A lot would depend how you use your motorbike. I use mine for pleasure only. I don't commute our your with it so I am not fat from home. Just some basic stuff like a light windbreaker, matches, flashlight, etc., is enough for me.

emt1581
09-16-2011, 14:28
Most people don't plan on it. It happens. This is actually one of the better suggestions....beats a "clotting agent".

:faint:

Couldn't I say the same for a clotting agent? And what's the consequence of not having a clotting agent vs..rain gear when the situation calls for either of them?

-Emt1581

emt1581
09-16-2011, 14:31
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2182/PN-055-0109/Pacsafe-SS-cargo-net-55L-85L

Cool idea. Two concerns though. First, they seem waaaayyy to big for what will be the size of a large toiletry bag. Second, I'd be worried about the netting scratching and screwing up the finish on the bike.

Not out of the question though.

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
09-16-2011, 14:52
A lot would depend how you use your motorbike. I use mine for pleasure only. I don't commute our your with it so I am not fat from home. Just some basic stuff like a light windbreaker, matches, flashlight, etc., is enough for me.

This is just for cruising around town at this point. It's great for quick trips to the store.

I think what I'm going to get is a cheap light nothing over $50, the patch/CO2 kit, clotting agent, roll/gauze, lighter, heatsheet blanket.

If I can find one that is both flame resistant/water proof and folds up nice and small I'll get rain gear for the larger compartment.

The problem with the trauma supplies is that, at least with 99% of the calls I've rolled up on, the biker is usually disoriented and either not able to move too much or not with it enough to tend to their own wounds. I suppose if someone came to help and I WAS with it enough I could explain how to help me by grabbing the trauma pack, but if not it would probably do me little good. Still, I'd rather have it than not.

-Emt1581

M1A Shooter
09-18-2011, 14:39
emt thread alert!!!!

You did voluntarily click the link. If you don't like his stuff, don't click on it. GT does have an Ignore list where you don't even have to see it.

Simple questions like this tend to be a good exercise in rethinking lists and such.

M1A Shooter
09-18-2011, 14:44
As far as a cheap light, definately look at the MTE C3-907. i got it after reading a review of LG1's and have recently bought a second one. it has 3 different power settings, a few different strobe features and you dont have to cycle through them all like other brands. 1 click on or off. 1/2 click to cycle through and it always turns on high so no accidentally leaving ot on low and then needing it as a defensive tool. it also has a glow in the dark tailcap to find it on the dark. all of that and it runs off of 1AA battery. 170 lumens and will throw a nice usable beam over 50 yards to my back fence. cost is only $25. http://www.shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907-170-Lumen-002.htm

and as far as the disclaimer, i dont receive anything for talking about this light. i'm just very happy with it.

emt1581
09-18-2011, 17:33
As far as a cheap light, definately look at the MTE C3-907. i got it after reading a review of LG1's and have recently bought a second one. it has 3 different power settings, a few different strobe features and you dont have to cycle through them all like other brands. 1 click on or off. 1/2 click to cycle through and it always turns on high so no accidentally leaving ot on low and then needing it as a defensive tool. it also has a glow in the dark tailcap to find it on the dark. all of that and it runs off of 1AA battery. 170 lumens and will throw a nice usable beam over 50 yards to my back fence. cost is only $25. http://www.shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907-170-Lumen-002.htm

and as far as the disclaimer, i dont receive anything for talking about this light. i'm just very happy with it.

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm really leaning toward a Fenix PD30 R5 now. Amazingly bright, looooonnnggg burn time, multiple options/features...plus I've wanted to give Fenix a try for a while now.

I figure if I end up liking it I'll get one for my belt for EDC as I've never had a light but have wanted one for a while.

-Emt1581

WolfNotSheep
09-23-2011, 09:44
I would just try to cover the basics in as minimal and cheap a way as possible, without compromising your safety. I'd take a heatsheetz emergency bivvy (they have two sizes, the larger of which being much tougher and warmer), a poncho that can un-snap into a tarp/shelter, 50' of paracord, a headlamp and spare batteries, a good belt knife (I'm thinking maybe an Izula or RC/ESEE-3 for this application or a small Anza), a mutli-tool with pliers and a saw, an AquaMira survival water filter, a few platypus water bladders, a datrex bar or two, some potable aqua, a decent little medkit, a 1qt canteen with the cup, stove, and some fuel pellets....maybe an MRE accessory kit or two so you'll have TP and coffee. Bugspray and sunblock couldn't hurt, either.

wjv
09-23-2011, 17:04
I appreciate the suggestion but I'm really leaning toward a Fenix PD30 R5 now. Amazingly bright, looooonnnggg burn time, multiple options/features...plus I've wanted to give Fenix a try for a while now.
-Emt1581

The $40 ITP SA2 R5 has infinite power settings from 6-230 lumens. I have the prior version (C8) and I keep mine on 6 lumens most all the time. That's all you need around the house. It's my every day use light and I change the batteries 2x per year! If it wasn't for Halloween night I'd probably have to change them 1x per year.

The also $40 JetBeam BA20 is 270/30 lumens and has a long burn time.

emt1581
09-23-2011, 18:33
Well I got my light (Fenix PD30 R5) and my bag (Maxpedition Merlin). The Quikclot should be on it's way this weekend and the tire kit will be here the beginning of next week.

My first impressions of the light.... AWESOME!!! Bright as hell, perfect setup (it's not on my hip and won't see the bag unless I order another one), very lightweight to. Ergonomics aren't the best but they'll do.

As for the bag, it's the perfect size folded up for the backrest of my bike. The outside is REAL thick and tough. The body of the bag is not as thick but plenty tough. The main downside of the bag is that it is not as big as I originally thought. I'd say the same size or slightly smaller than the Jansport pack I was using. It'll do though.

-Emt1581