CD/DVD Drive Fail [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD Drive Fail

Dr. Leaky
09-15-2011, 10:00
So I picked up a CD and wanted to add it to my MP3 list. Put it in the drive and nothing happened. Went to My Computer, clicked on the drive and the disk came sliding out with an error message telling me to put in a disk. Put it back in and right clicked on Properties and it showed the disk 100% full. I went online and downloaded some Fix-It engine from Microsoft that ended up saying I had a problem but not what it was or how to fix it. I also read about un-installing the drive and re-booting so it would re-install. No change. I tried updating the driver and it said it was fine.
Any ideas? Does it sound like the drive is shot or is there something else I should try? It's my first Kathy Mattea disk and I really want it on my MP3 player. Thanks.

HerrGlock
09-15-2011, 10:42
It honestly sounds like CD drive hardware death. They tend to die and it's generally when you want them or need them most :)

Easy enough to change it out and takes about an hour if you've never done it before.

epoxy252
09-15-2011, 11:22
It could also be some sort of DRM protection on the cd. Did you try any other discs to see if the drive is working ?

sbhaven
09-15-2011, 11:23
Have you tested another CD or DVD in the suspect drive? Have you tried to play the Kathy Mattea disc on a stand alone CD player to ensure there is nothing wrong with the Mattea disc?

Drives are cheap and easy to replace. And on occasion either the CD or DVD laser/reader portion of the drive can go bad.

I ran into one music CD many years ago that was in Super Audio CD (SACD) format. It would not play in any of my CD players (both stand alone and computer CD/DVD drive) at that time. Thought it was a drive problem until I tried it in every CD player I owned at the time, and then read the fine print on the back of the CD indicating that the disc was in Super Audio CD (SACD) format.

Dr. Leaky
09-15-2011, 16:45
I did play the CD in my truck, so that's ok. I tried another CD and it did the same thing - should have also added that I tried a DVD and it didn't work either. Sounds like I'll be needing a new drive. I added one to a former machine some years ago but I think I remember the concept. Maybe I'll turn it into a plus by getting a new one that will also burn DVDs.

GAFinch
09-16-2011, 12:39
It's possible the lens is just dirty. Blow some compressed air in there, or get one of those disc lens cleaning kits. You can also take the drive apart and manually clean the lens...I've had to do it before and it wasn't that bad.