school me on game/trail cameras [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : school me on game/trail cameras

walt cowan
09-15-2011, 14:50
thinking about putting a few around the cabin to see what two and four critters are sneaking around. pros, cons and cost?

RRTX11
09-16-2011, 11:48
thinking about putting a few around the cabin to see what two and four critters are sneaking around. pros, cons and cost?

Wise move, cameras are a great tool. I have a lot of cameras, and they keep getting better each year. I bought 6 new ones this year Truth Cam 35, $89 at Academy. Doesn't get much simpler. 4 D batteries, 4 switches for different modes to include video, and I have a 4 GB sd card in it. It is IR or infra red. I recommend IR over flash cams, flash cams can scare critters of in my opinion. I also have another kind called Stealth Cam, which was my first venture into cams....after getting the Truth Cam, the stealth cam is a piece of junk and I paid more for it. Takes 8 C batteries, and they are a pita to keep up with and do not seem to last as long before the batteries wear out. Getting set up properly with a solar power is ideal if you want to leave it in one place and forget about it for more than a month, then you just need to make sure you have a big enough sd card to handle the pics. Different settings take pics of the critters every 10 seconds, 30 seconds, or 1 minute. 3 different settings of quality of photos, and then off, photo, video. Setting it for 1 minute between photos, and lower quality photos gets the most out of your battery life. I post a couple at my home when I leave for vacation for two legged critters, have some set up at my office to track the deer, and at the ranch on feeders. Great tool, and not sure why they haven't become a norm on each and every feeder people hunt. Biggest issue, battery life. Other than that, they are fantastic.

paynter2
09-22-2011, 15:16
I don't own a trail cam. But, I know they have really evolved. The picture included was taken on a nephew's TC on some land I own in N. WI.

Nice big bear eh? He looks like a prime athlete.

paynter2
09-25-2011, 10:13
never mind...