IHOP active shooter update: he had a fully automatic MAC 90 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IHOP active shooter update: he had a fully automatic MAC 90

mixflip
09-16-2011, 18:53
Well its official. The mentally ill active shooter had a fully automatic MAC 90.

I really wish they would release how a mentally ill person with 10 years of mental illness documentation was able to buy all the guns he had? How did he get the NFA MAC 90?

Im sure there is ALOT more info but I dont have it nor could I disclose it here anyway.

I just posted this because I know alot of people were wondering if he had a full auto or did the public just say it sounded like one?

Vigilant
09-16-2011, 19:08
I also read that even though he was a Mexican citizen here on a legal passport, he was receiving disability income from Social Security. I'm almost speechless over that. Almost.

mixflip
09-16-2011, 19:34
He had been receiving disability checks since 2001 for being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.

I do not know if he was an American citizen but he went to HS here. He took honor courses in HS and graduated here in America.

I can only assume he became a citizen at some point if he got Federal disability checks? But that is just a guess?

Vigilant
09-16-2011, 21:29
According to the article I read online, he was here on a valid passport. I have no way to verify tho.

kpuscg04
09-17-2011, 15:54
I think I read he was a naturalized US citizen.

michael e
09-17-2011, 15:59
Was the full auto legal? Or another gun that was illegal that will be used to try and take away some of our rights down the road.

jp3975
09-18-2011, 01:13
Well its official. The mentally ill active shooter had a fully automatic MAC 90.

I really wish they would release how a mentally ill person with 10 years of mental illness documentation was able to buy all the guns he had? How did he get the NFA MAC 90?

Im sure there is ALOT more info but I dont have it nor could I disclose it here anyway.

I just posted this because I know alot of people were wondering if he had a full auto or did the public just say it sounded like one?

Well...I doubt it was legal as they cost over 10k.

A friends dad was a Vietnam vet and offered to convert my AK to full-auto. I passed. With a little tinkering it can be done.

As for how a mentally ill person gets a gun...Possibly from a store if his background check didnt indicate he wasnt supposed to have them.

If not there its very easy to buy from an individual no matter what your record is. People do FTF purchases on Glock talk as well as gun shows all the time.

MediaMan
09-18-2011, 01:49
A MAC 90 is essentially an AK-47, right? Is there any video evidence that this was a full-auto rifle? I listened to the audio from the 911 calls and while the rounds were coming pretty quickly, I had trouble believing that it was a full-auto burst.

I've blown a 20-round mag thru my AK very quickly a time or two and, of course, there's always bump fire.

I may be naive, but I wouldn't have the first clue as to where to go to get a full-auto AK. Nor, having used full-auto in the military, would I want one. The only use for it is suppression for tactical movement. Can't hit squat when you're squirting rounds on auto. Least I never could.

NEOH212
09-18-2011, 03:01
If it was full auto, it makes me wonder if the gun came over the boarder illegally?

GPalmer
09-18-2011, 11:32
Do you have a link to a definitive source which states it was a full auto weapon? I couldn't find one.

mixflip
09-18-2011, 12:14
I got the info via a law enforcement only bulletin. It did say "fully automatic" which I was very surprized to see. This came after we were told the ATF had his guns and were verifying this issue.

Im guessing it was jerry rigged illegally or obtained in his home land of Mexico years ago. Either way I am sure the anti's will use it to try to take away more law abiding folks rights as usual.

Detectorist
09-18-2011, 14:43
Maybe a 'Fast and Furious' weapon.

Glockdude1
09-18-2011, 14:53
Do you have a link to a definitive source which states it was a full auto weapon? I couldn't find one.

:agree:

Mrs.Cicero
09-18-2011, 16:16
Couldn't he just have bought it privately as a semi-auto and converted it himself? I know all that is illegal, but certainly not impossible?

Mrs.Cicero

Dalton Wayne
09-18-2011, 16:24
They are very easy to convert about a ten minute job, I won't say how but it's easy

GPalmer
09-18-2011, 16:47
They are very easy to convert about a ten minute job, I won't say how but it's easy

+1, a MAK 90 is a semi-auto but some have apparently been imported with the third hole in the receiver. If he one of those, it's really easy. If not, it's not that hard to do a changeover.

GPalmer
09-18-2011, 16:49
I got the info via a law enforcement only bulletin. It did say "fully automatic" which I was very surprized to see. This came after we were told the ATF had his guns and were verifying this issue.

Im guessing it was jerry rigged illegally or obtained in his home land of Mexico years ago. Either way I am sure the anti's will use it to try to take away more law abiding folks rights as usual.

Thanks, I'm always suspicious of unattributed links on the Internet, particularly from unknown (to me) posters...

Glockdude1
09-18-2011, 18:31

Only if you have all the right parts, tools, and the skill to do it, all at the same time.

:cool:

Narkcop
09-18-2011, 19:01
I call BS on the Mak90 being full auto.

blueiron
09-18-2011, 20:01
The MAK90 was a weapon designed solely for the US and the weird ATFE rulings and laws since 1968. It was never made as a full auto weapon and never before 1986, so there are no factory Title II variants in existence.

If it was full auto, it was an illegal conversion. Any semi auto weapon can be converted with tooling and knowledge.

jp3975
09-18-2011, 22:46
I may be naive, but I wouldn't have the first clue as to where to go to get a full-auto AK. Nor, having used full-auto in the military, would I want one. The only use for it is suppression for tactical movement. Can't hit squat when you're squirting rounds on auto. Least I never could.

Ive shot the FN P90 and FN P2000 in full auto. I didnt have much trouble keeping on target firing in bursts.

At close range, its plenty accurate. Particularly in a pistol caliber.