Tactical Shemagh.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Shemagh....

Toorop
09-16-2011, 21:31
Does anyone keep a Shemagh in their BOG or get home bag? I bought one and the thing is very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oy7Kus-xvQ

Cali-Glock
09-16-2011, 22:14
Interesting... I have not given it much thought... at $10-20 apiece, I wonder if it would be more or less expensive to make my own out of military blankets or other materials...

42x42 is about 1.3 square yards... that is about $8 a yard for the cheap Shemaghs...

I am curious to see who else uses them and what for...

hackinpeat
09-16-2011, 22:17
head cover in in hot sunny places, guard from blowing sand, padding under your gear straps, wiping sweat, camo.

It's a "tacticool" towel... its just cotton, its a $10 rag.

NDCent
09-16-2011, 22:34
Looks like perfect attire for flying.

Toorop
09-16-2011, 23:30
head cover in in hot sunny places, guard from blowing sand, padding under your gear straps, wiping sweat, camo.

It's a "tacticool" towel... its just cotton, its a $10 rag.

True. It is essentially a large handkerchief. But they do have their uses. It seems to be a little investment for something that has many uses.

mes228
09-17-2011, 04:09
Great piece of kit. Much warmer than most any winter hats, cool in the summer (moisten it ie evaporative airconditioning for the head), breathing filter, towel, bandage, sling for injuries, useful to remove hot things from campfire etc., almost a lightweight blanket (quite large). Simply a great piece of gear from the Middle East.

TangoFoxtrot
09-17-2011, 04:22
I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a terrorist.:whistling:

quake
09-17-2011, 06:02
I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a terrorist.:whistling:

Then you shouldn't be on gun forums... :whistling:

freedom790
09-17-2011, 07:39
i used one sometimes when i was deployed. i would just put it around the back of my neck when we were on longer dismounted patrols to keep from getting sunburned. It also worked well to wipe the sweat from my forehead and under my ACH, sweating into your eyes sucks. It definatly has it's uses, no doubt.

Unistat
09-17-2011, 07:56
I have a couple of bandannas in my bag. I prefer to cowboy up.

AK_Stick
09-17-2011, 15:24
I have a couple, wear them at work to keep my armor from rubbing under my chin/neck occasionally depending on what I'm wearing and what we're doing. Keep dust out of your nose, keep you cool, make a good sweat rag.

Wouldn't call them "tactical" but they're handy.

Bilbo Bagins
09-17-2011, 18:55
For my uses, it sucks. Its 100% cotton, the tassles are a PITA, and like others have said I don't want to look like a terrorist, and show any support to the haji lifestyle. I pride myself at being an infidel

Buffs are polyester, made in America, and have more uses.

tobias boon
09-17-2011, 20:14
I think all you guys that don't want to "look" like terrorists should make sure you don't own any AK's. I don't think use of a tool makes a terrorist. In 120 degree temps, regional tools are tools, not political. Too bad too many people think with emotion, too often. JSH...

TangoFoxtrot
09-18-2011, 07:07
Then you shouldn't be on gun forums... :whistling:

:rofl:Yeah your right!

Chuck TX
09-18-2011, 10:26
They are kind of neat. Definitely wouldn't want to go traipsing across the countryside during SHTF wearing one.

AK_Stick
09-18-2011, 12:35
For my uses, it sucks. Its 100% cotton, the tassles are a PITA, and like others have said I don't want to look like a terrorist, and show any support to the haji lifestyle. I pride myself at being an infidel

Depends on the one you get. I seriously doubt anyone is going to confuse my crusader cross decorated shemagh for support of the haji lifestyle.

Toorop
09-18-2011, 14:41

I hope you don't use oil. Or numbers. Or the word alcohol. As these are all things from the Middle East. You don't want to support that "haji" lifestyle...

happyguy
09-18-2011, 17:23
Does anyone keep a Shemagh in their BOG or get home bag? I bought one and the thing is very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oy7Kus-xvQ

What's the difference between a tactical shemagh and a regular one?

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Toorop
09-18-2011, 18:14
What's the difference between a tactical shemagh and a regular one?

Regards,
Happyguy :)

I don't know. I just used the title in the first video I found. Not the one I posted. I would say color. ;)

W.E.G.
09-18-2011, 18:51
In the Youtube list of uses, he forgot to mention using it as a towel to snap your buddies getting out of the shower.

Oh wait,... never mind.

In the places they wear shemagh's for "EDC," they don't have showers.

Judging from the SMELL of the one I got, you'd need to be somewhere where there are overpowering ambient odors in order to endure having it on your head.

jwhite75
09-18-2011, 19:06
There are lots on Ebay in lots of colors...you could definitely have one in a "civilian" color.

Bilbo Bagins
09-20-2011, 09:41
Depends on the one you get. I seriously doubt anyone is going to confuse my crusader cross decorated shemagh for support of the haji lifestyle.

Let me guess, you also have polymer parts, rails and a Trijicon "Jesus Scope" on your AK47.

You are a sick man :rofl:

Bilbo Bagins
09-20-2011, 09:52
I hope you don't use oil. Or numbers. Or the word alcohol. As these are all things from the Middle East. You don't want to support that "haji" lifestyle...

I have no problem with the Middle East. Love the food, have many friends from there. Their history is pretty extensive. I visited the region a few time, once as a tourist and unfortunately once as a US Army soldier.

Do you even know what Haji means? Hint, its a religious term. There are probably blond haired, blue eyed American Hajis

AK_Stick
09-20-2011, 14:28
Let me guess, you also have polymer parts, rails and a Trijicon "Jesus Scope" on your AK47.

You are a sick man :rofl:

I think I do have a jesus scope, but no polymer parts.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010100.jpg

beatcop
09-20-2011, 20:04
No, thanks I'll stick with my boonie hat. I left the sand behind.

Texas357
09-20-2011, 23:13
In some climates, the cotton is preferable.

expatman
09-21-2011, 01:10
I love mine!

I use it at work for dust storms to cover my face and head. Wear it draped over the back of my neck to prevent sunburn. Tuck it under the shoulder straps of my body armor and use it to protect my neck from my weapon sling while doing transition drills at the range. I hate that neck burn you get after the sling rubs you raw. It is also great for keeping your buddies hot brass from falling down your shirt.

I carry one in my EDC when I travel in order to better blend in with the locals if there is ever a need. i used it once in Kuwait during sme sort of less than happy gathering of people. I just pulled it out, backed into a corner on he street and wrapped my head in it. i surely did not look like an Arab but I certainly did not stand out as much as I did without it.

Over all it is a great piece of gear and for $10 well worth it if you have similar needs to myself.

Bilbo Bagins
09-21-2011, 11:46
In some climates, the cotton is preferable.

Which climate is that? :dunno:

Hot climates = Cotton is hotter and does not breathe as well as coolmax, underarmor or other poly cloth. It also soaks up sweat, and holds it, without that drying cool effect that poly has, and gets heavier. In some cases the cloth will become rougher and in the case of wet jeans will cause chaffing

Wet Climates = Soaks up water, gets heavy and takes a long time to dry. This is where the term "Cotton Kills" comes from in outdoor survival. In long term wet enviroments, cotton will start to get moldy and degrade. Also you have that chaffing issue.

Cold climates = it can be warmer then nylon and poly, but not better then fleece. The problem again is water. Cotton get wet, it will not dry out, and you will either freeze because you cannot get dry, or the item will get become frozen and useless. Also snow will cling to some cotton material and becomes caked on.

Also something to remember, cotton is an American invention. The original Shemagh were made of linen, which was probably a lot cooler. Today Linen is just too expensive.

expatman
09-21-2011, 12:46
[QUOTE=Bilbo Bagins;17945959]Which climate is that? :dunno:

Hot climates = Cotton is hotter and does not breathe as well as coolmax, underarmor or other poly cloth. It also soaks up sweat, and holds it, without that drying cool effect that poly has, and gets heavier. In some cases the cloth will become rougher and in the case of wet jeans will cause chaffing

QUOTE]

Actually cotton is OUTSTANDING for desert enviornments. Coolmax can have kind of an itchy feel to it. I work in Iraq and have worn it all, Under Armor, Coolmax, cotton...etc. I prefer a thin cotton shirt in the summer months. I am also an avid hiker/camper and understand the "cotton kills" maxim but in a dry environment that the shemagh was designed for it excells. The moisture that is retained is what will keep you cool under the intense sun and heat and you move around and the wind blows. Not to mention that it will not melt to your skin on an IED strike like poly fibers will.

Texas357
09-21-2011, 16:00
Also something to remember, cotton is an American invention. The original Shemagh were made of linen, which was probably a lot cooler. Today Linen is just too expensive.

Seriously? Is that your final answer? You sure sound authoritative, for someone who is absolutely wrong.

Texas357
09-23-2011, 17:31
Just FYI: cotton existed in the middle east long before America existed. And as stated by expatman, cotton is great in dry climates.

AK_Stick
09-24-2011, 02:42
[QUOTE=Bilbo Bagins;17945959]Which climate is that? :dunno:

QUOTE]

Actually cotton is OUTSTANDING for desert enviornments. Coolmax can have kind of an itchy feel to it. I work in Iraq and have worn it all, Under Armor, Coolmax, cotton...etc. I prefer a thin cotton shirt in the summer months. I am also an avid hiker/camper and understand the "cotton kills" maxim but in a dry environment that the shemagh was designed for it excells. The moisture that is retained is what will keep you cool under the intense sun and heat and you move around and the wind blows. Not to mention that it will not melt to your skin on an IED strike like poly fibers will.

Pretty much personal choice really.

I have to wear silk, nomex or cotton, as I can't wear poly clothing at work, and I would much rather have underarmor or coolmax than wear cotton.

now when I want to just keep sun/dirt and dust out, I'll throw on my shemagh, or when I'm flying in a dust storm, but I wouldn't say its outstanding.