Separate Crimp Dies??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Separate Crimp Dies???

re223
09-16-2011, 22:32
I have the Hornady Lock-n-Load Press with the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Dies for both pistol and rifle calibers. Since these dies come with built-in crimpers, do I still need to buy separate crimp dies and use them instead? Are the built-in crimpers not sufficient for semi-auto handgun rounds? What about rifle bullets with cannelures? Thanks

El_Ron1
09-16-2011, 22:50
I'd call it a try and see situation. I've done it both ways.

freakshow10mm
09-16-2011, 22:54
Seating dies with crimp versus separate dies is just a personal preference. You will not notice a difference in performance or ease of loading with either method.

hdsteve69
09-16-2011, 22:54
Follow the directions that came with the dies to setup for crimp and call it done. I use the same die for crimp and pressing bullet with good results. You already have enough to keep track of while reloading so why add one more uneccessary step.

fredj338
09-16-2011, 23:16
Seating dies with crimp versus separate dies is just a personal preference. You will not notice a difference in performance or ease of loading with either method.

True, with the possible exception of lead bullets in handgun rounds. I prefer seating & crimpin separate to prevent any possible lead shaving. It is bullet/caliber specific, but work a bit better IMO. Necessary though, not really.

WiskyT
09-17-2011, 05:54
Follow the directions that came with the dies to setup for crimp and call it done. I use the same die for crimp and pressing bullet with good results. You already have enough to keep track of while reloading so why add one more uneccessary step.

This

This

Colorado4Wheel
09-17-2011, 07:33
It makes using lead and moly bullets a little easier. It's doable with on seat crimp die. But last I checked the Lee Crimp Die for pistol is about $15 and the Dillon is only $20. So that is not exactly expensive. I am willing to spend the extra $15 to get the separate crimp die.

unclebob
09-17-2011, 07:45
Loading on a SS press seating and crimping with the same die makes since. But with a progressive and you have the opening for a separate crimp and seat die it just makes loading a lot easier if especially if you are load lead or even plated bullets.

Colorado4Wheel
09-17-2011, 08:19
True. Seat and crimp at the same time on a SS only makes sense.

Vartarg
09-17-2011, 08:23
I use, and would recommend, the Lee crimp die....does a great job.

GioaJack
09-17-2011, 09:33
If you learn to set up your dies correctly there is absolutely no reason to use a separate crimp die whether your bullets are jacketed or lead.

That being said if your progressive press has an unused station and you already own a four die set there's no reason not to use it in that configuration.

Jack

Uncle Don
09-17-2011, 15:54
While I haven't found the crimp appreciably better with the crimp die, I do tend to use them, but for other reasons.

When I use a FC die, I don't have to use any crimp with the seater/crimp die. That is advantage because I many times switch types and weights of bullets. With this setup, I simply raise the adjustment knob on the seater/crimper and keep turning it down until I get the depth I want on the new bullet and I'm done. The crimp die doesn't care about the type and weight of bullet so it never gets changed. Just handy is all.

ursoboostd
09-17-2011, 21:14
If you learn to set up your dies correctly there is absolutely no reason to use a separate crimp die whether your bullets are jacketed or lead.

That being said if your progressive press has an unused station and you already own a four die set there's no reason not to use it in that configuration.

Jack

:beer: What Jack said.

Boxerglocker
09-17-2011, 21:48
True, with the possible exception of lead bullets in handgun rounds. I prefer seating & crimpin separate to prevent any possible lead shaving. It is bullet/caliber specific, but work a bit better IMO. Necessary though, not really.

Jack

Well I must be pretty effed up then, I started a thread regarding this issue a few days ago. Had a chance to test yesterday and there is a noticeable difference between seating and crimping as opposed to doing it in 2 separate stations with the .380 ACP moly bullets I'm evaluating. I'm using Horandy new dimension dies, tried it both ways.
I'm still needing to call Hornady to see if thier 9mm-38 taper crimp die will work with .380 auto otherwise I'll be ordering a Dillon crimp die and just use the Horandy for a seater.

Colorado4Wheel
09-17-2011, 21:52
I found the same thing in .380. That tiny little thing is a PITA to setup as a seat/crimp setup.