Latest Bug Out Bag / System: Comments? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bug Out Bag / System: Comments?

Aceman
09-17-2011, 10:13
I have finsihed v2.0 of my Bug Out Gear. (as if this stuff is ever really done...) Anyway, I'm about to take it all on a shakedown run. (again, as if a lot of it hasn't been shook down...). I have learned a lot here, and a lot the hard way (who cares...). So, please take a look, and let me know what you think!!!! Pro's, cons, missing, needed, get rid of, whatever! Give it to me straight up...

A few notes:
#1 I think of this as a 'system' that builds from the small pouch to the pack. If I were ditching gear, it would be in the reverse order presented here.
#2 My area of Operation is Tampa Bay Florida, at the very north tip of the bay.\
#3 I believe there are 5 critical pieces of gear: Knife, Water, Fire, Light, Meds. I want these in TRIPLICATE at a minimum, and available in some form in/on every piece of baggage. So - here we go!

Here is the whole set:
Survival Pouch
Maxpedition Jumbo (My Main Bag)
Canteen
Belt & Belt Pouch
LAPD 3 Day Pack
*weapons may be shown later - not my focus at the moment....trust me, i have an assortment!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1002.jpg

My Survival Pouch: Intended to get me through 24 hours. 72 very uncomfortably....
This is stored attached to the Jumbo - but is immediately placed on a pants belt or in a pocket.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1005.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1004.jpg

The items I NEVER want to be without:
Swiss Army Climber - in easy to see when dropped Stay-glo
Gerber Ultra LED Light

Frontier Filter straw
Condom/Knee Hi/coffee filter
2 Aquimura tabs

Bic
Steel Striker
Qwik Tinder

Bandaids/Neosporin/Alcohol wipes/Ibuprofin/allergy pills

Paracord Bracelet
Button compass and Biner

Aceman
09-17-2011, 10:13
Maxpedition Jumbo - My Main All Purpose Bag: Intended to get me through 72 hours. 5 days very uncomfortably.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1006.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1007.jpg

Gerber Armor (Main all-purpose folder - half-serrated tanto)

INNOVA X5 led (Main light)
3 light sticks

1L Nalgene
Steel cup
Condom/Knee Hi/6 Aquamura tabs
2 packets Gatorade

Lighter
Bic
~20 waterproof matches in waterproof container
Cotton+Petroleum Jelly

Adventure Med Kit Personal (Main first aid)
Extra Mole skin
Allergy tabs

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1008.jpg

Map (in plastic bag
Compass
Monocular

Fishing kit (line, 6 hooks, 3 bobbers, split shot)
Multi-tool (unbelievably cheap chinese one - Planned Gerber Suspension / Leatherman Wave upgrade)
Duct Tape

Poncho
Space Blanket
Notepad & Pen

Sunscreen
Bug spray
Hand Sanitizer
More Sunscreen
More Bug Spray
Even more Bug Spray
Sunscreen stick & chapstick
Some baggies

This is a pre-package (freezer bag) food pouch that is usually in this bag)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1009.jpg

2L Canteen and 4 Aquamura tabs
(see main pic)

Aceman
09-17-2011, 10:14
Belt and Belt Pouch: Intended to extend the ability/comfort of the Jumbo to a clear 5 days, 7 days uncomfortably.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1010.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1011.jpg

Glock Field Knife (Main utility knife-tool)
100ft paracord

Esbit Stove 24 fuel tabs
Cup
Spork
Brew Kit (7 tea/starbucks Via/etc)

Bic
Cotton/Petroleum Jelly

Condom/Knee hi/24 Aquamura tabs

Innova Micro
Swiss Classic
Gerber Microtool
Whistle/Compass/Thermometer
Striker
(this was left over/upgraded little items)

Hand sanitizer
3 lightsicks
3 contractor bags

Dental
Filling/crown goo
Q-tips
brushes
Floss
pain gel
Allergy tabs

Aceman
09-17-2011, 10:15
The Pack - designed to make 3 days fun, 5 days completely bearable, 7 ok, and after that....get me out of here!
This is intended almost exclusively for Food & Shelter
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1012.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1013.jpg
The key shelter items -
Catoma Bednet (in that tan circle bag)
8x10ft tarp
100ft paracord

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1017.jpg
Rothco Poncho
Poncho Liner (both in Marine Woodland Digital...)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1015.jpg
4 Mountain House meals
3 Bridgeford sandwhiches
3 Coleman small meals
2 Mountain House Breakfasts
2 bags, 4 bars each (Power bar / Cliff Bars)

2 Liter bladder

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1014.jpg
Gerber Paraframe
Bic
Mag Light (converted to single LED w/ Pressure switch)
Extra nozzle for bladder
Bag of straps & Biners

Trauma Kit (In red bag in pic above)
Pelham Tactical Pack A (Tourniquet, Cerlix, Sucking chest thing, triangle Bandage)
GLoves (x4)
Scissors
Tape
Gauze
Iodine

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1016.jpg
Toilet paper
Wet Bio Wipes
Little shovel

100ft Paracord
2 gallon Freezer bags

Comfort pack -
Two Razors
Shaving Cream
Camp soap sheets
Deodorant
Fork Spoon Knife Swiss thing

And that is the latest, greatest version. Comments?

[summary on key items - again, mostly in different bags]
That 4 knives - Glock Field, Gerber Armor, Gerber Paraframe, Swiss Climber (I'd probably have another knife in my pocket also...)
5L of water, plus the ability to purify ~ 30L, and carry an additional 3L
Lighter, 3 Bics, matches, 2 strikers, tinder/hand sanitizer/fueltabs
3 LED Flashlights, six lightsticks, plus mini LED
Med kit, trauma kit, dental gear, and lot's of allergy stuff.

G29Reload
09-17-2011, 11:03
Having lived in Tampa, my biggest concern is water.

You have a hydration bladder.
Canteen.

Good. Another pint and a half bottle for the jumbo.

Wherever you store the kit, I would have a gallon to carry. Use that first if on foot, and either refill when possible or ditch. I would find a collapsible 2.5g to stow for your destination.

A box of Gatorade pouches and some salt.
Double the bug spray. Have a backup for what you have.

Mosquito net head pullover. No room to store that all squished up in the bag.

Stevekozak
09-17-2011, 11:25
What is the overall weight of this "system"?

BillJ
09-17-2011, 12:13
My own personnel opinion dump the meals and beef jerky (keep the fruit), replace them with a more power bars and maybe Red Vines or Jolly Ranchers. Dump the apple juice.

Salt pills.
Glucose tablets
Are you allergic to Tylenol? If not Id toss the max (8 daily) for 5 days in there.
Imodium AD is a must as well.

Might not be a bad idea for a few more non lube condoms.
A few tampons they work great on large cuts for soaking up the blood. Plus when you buy the condoms and tampons together you will get some funny looks at the store!
You need superglue. Small cuts up to cuts that need 3 to 5 stitches are quickly taken care of with it. Make sure to double bag in case it ruptures in your pack.

Powdered Gatorade buy the can at walmart or costco. Pre bag the powder to match your canteen size. Stick with the Lemon Lime. Try mixing it a little weaker then recommended and a bit bit stronger too. I like mine about 20% stronger, in the winter. But during the summer I mix it about half strength. Weird I know....

A black sharpie is another thing thats good if you have to write a note on something other then paper...

Aceman
09-17-2011, 13:17
Having lived in Tampa, my biggest concern is water.

You have a hydration bladder.
Canteen.
Good. Another pint and a half bottle for the jumbo.
- I'm actually thinking of another bladder

Wherever you store the kit, I would have a gallon to carry. Use that first if on foot, and either refill when possible or ditch. I would find a collapsible 2.5g to stow for your destination.
- Not a bad idea

A box of Gatorade pouches and some salt.
Double the bug spray. Have a backup for what you have.
- I have a couple. May add more, a big spray for the big bag - good idea.

Mosquito net head pullover. No room to store that all squished up in the bag.
- Might put one in my Boonie...good call for tropic duty!

Aceman
09-17-2011, 13:19
What is the overall weight of this "system"?

I don't know - but I have trekked around with it all on for hours. More often i use a pice or three. Just the belt pouch is handy for fishing in the morning. Just the bag for a short hike.

I keep making it lighter though. I'm 6' 2" and pretty sturdy. I'll weigh it all here today sometime.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 13:23
My own personnel opinion dump the meals and beef jerky (keep the fruit), replace them with a more power bars and maybe Red Vines or Jolly Ranchers. Dump the apple juice.
- That's just the bag of the moment. One hike out and that will change. I keep trying new stuff. NEver had the Apple sauce before, for example.

Salt pills.
Glucose tablets
Are you allergic to Tylenol? If not Id toss the max (8 daily) for 5 days in there.
Imodium AD is a must as well.
- I have Immodium in there, as well as MAJOR anti-inflammatories. I didn't list all the pills.
I'll be adding more powedered gator aid. But a few real salt tabs may not be a bad idea.

Might not be a bad idea for a few more non lube condoms.
- as mentioned above, real water bag might be better...
A few tampons they work great on large cuts for soaking up the blood. Plus when you buy the condoms and tampons together you will get some funny looks at the store!
- Now you are just RAGGING on me! :rofl:

You need superglue. Small cuts up to cuts that need 3 to 5 stitches are quickly taken care of with it. Make sure to double bag in case it ruptures in your pack.
- I have often considered this, just never did it.

Powdered Gatorade buy the can at walmart or costco. Pre bag the powder to match your canteen size. Stick with the Lemon Lime. Try mixing it a little weaker then recommended and a bit bit stronger too. I like mine about 20% stronger, in the winter. But during the summer I mix it about half strength. Weird I know....
- highly likely to add

A black sharpie is another thing thats good if you have to write a note on something other then paper...
- Used to have one?!?!?! Must have got in there and used it! Maybe it's in the range bag....

cowboy1964
09-17-2011, 13:39
Never heard of Bridgford sandwiches. Nice alternative to the usual fare. Anyone know a good online retailer for the meal kits?

BillJ
09-17-2011, 13:43
The condom thing is not really for water, its more to protect things. In your neck of the woods, its either wet or about to be wet. Dumping your cell phone, mp3 player, flashlight in condoms to protect them from water during a 3-5 day emergency type of thing.

RedHaze
09-17-2011, 14:53
I'd cut out a flashlight or two and keep some extra batteries for the ones you keep.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ratf51
09-17-2011, 15:07
Where did you find the cup that fits the bottom of your nalgene bottle?

Aceman
09-17-2011, 15:30
Never heard of Bridgford sandwiches. Nice alternative to the usual fare. Anyone know a good online retailer for the meal kits?

I got those from Camping Survival Gear online. we have an outdoor place locally that has them too. Pretty tasty IMO.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 15:33
The condom thing is not really for water, its more to protect things. In your neck of the woods, its either wet or about to be wet. Dumping your cell phone, mp3 player, flashlight in condoms to protect them from water during a 3-5 day emergency type of thing.

actually, for me, their PRIMARY purpose is ultra-emergency water carry.
Condom + purifier tab = knee high for carry.

However...I consider them a VERY HIGH UTILITY item for lots of purposes, including covering barrel ends, shot gun shells, general stretchy ties, cell phone insulation, etc, etc, etc. Same with the knee hi that accompanies each one.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 15:34
I'd cut out a flashlight or two and keep some extra batteries for the ones you keep.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Outdoor Hub - that an app? I have an iPhone (not shown)

I should definitely add batteries to my big bag, and maybe Jumbo.

Kevin108
09-17-2011, 15:36

Bass Pro has them. I looked at one today but it wasn't sitting next to the bottles so I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Thanks! :wavey:

I saw some other things I wanted there today as well. I'll be going back soon.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 15:40
A couple of my general upograde plans:

#1 Katadyn Micro for the big pack
#2 second Bladder
#3 Hand crank or solar radio for recharging my phone, info etc...

Aceman
09-17-2011, 15:40

Sports Authority

jdavionic
09-17-2011, 18:55
Nice, Aceman!

I like the d-ring Off and sunscreen. Where did you get the Off? I've got Off and suncreen in my GHB (also a MaxPed Jumbo). But I have larger ones that are taking too much space.

Also, why the KneeHi?

And I like the gloves. Very obvious item that I completely overlooked.

Suggestions...or items that I've got in my packs and didn't see
Baby wipes - great adder for a quick cleanup
Spare batteries
Radio - I have a Grundig with a hand crank

DaveG
09-17-2011, 20:03
Where do you keep all your weapons????

Dexters
09-17-2011, 20:34
Did I miss toilet paper and a poncho in your list?

Aceman
09-17-2011, 20:37
Nice, Aceman!

I like the d-ring Off and sunscreen. Where did you get the Off? I've got Off and suncreen in my GHB (also a MaxPed Jumbo). But I have larger ones that are taking too much space.

Also, why the KneeHi?

And I like the gloves. Very obvious item that I completely overlooked.

Suggestions...or items that I've got in my packs and didn't see
Baby wipes - great adder for a quick cleanup Biowipes
Spare batteries
Radio - I have a Grundig with a hand crank

In FL, having sunscreen and bug spray that available has been important! The off is from Publix grocery i think. I got a bunch of those on sale.

Knee Hi:
- (main) Place condom full of water in knee hi for carry
- Place knee hi over any tube for filer
- Use for stretchy soft ties
- Handy for holding a bunch of small anything
- Knot and clean gun
- wear as mask during robbery
I can go on.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 20:38
Did I miss toilet paper and a poncho in your list?

small TP roll, wet biowipes, and small shovel for potty purposes.

Military poncho and liner.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 20:40
Where do you keep all your weapons????

I didn't list those - but depending:

XD .45 in rear compartment in Jumbo, or in a drop holster attached to belt, or belt holster (under shirt)

Henry Survival: Strapped to side of pack.

AK or 12g - in hands

HeliGlock
09-17-2011, 20:54
Awesome kit. Wow i really need to add some more things to mine. Thankyou.

jwhite75
09-17-2011, 21:03
I personally think water in excess is unnecessary. its heavy and has a bad habit of making your dry stuff your wet stuff. Look in to the water purfication stuff, Katadyn straws, purification tablets etc. Your first aid and medical supplies should be very comprehensive.

I keep a packable wtaerproof jacket and pants and a pair of waterproof boots/shoes with me at all times. here in WV we have some brutak wibters especially where I live in the mountains. In winter I packe a windproof fleece to go under the water proof layer with extra socks and hats etc. You would probably just be ok with the waterproof clothing and a possible change of clothes.

You should try looking at EDC Forums. Lot of good info over there.

FireForged
09-17-2011, 22:33
heck, its my bedtime but I will be back to comment on this thread...

BORNGEARHEAD
09-17-2011, 22:50
Nice setup. I like the d-ring lotion and spray also.

Aceman
09-18-2011, 07:11
Nice setup. I like the d-ring lotion and spray also.

I use that stuff ALL the time. Never thought much about it. But sunburn and bug bites suck.

FireForged
09-18-2011, 10:15
After looking over your bag and contents I rate it as follows:

Good layered system

Good camping bag (I say camping because in a camping situation you can always go home or get help if something go amiss or gets too bad)

unclear medical supplies- what is listed seem a little sub-basic

Rating this as a Survival bag, I would say that there is alot of wasted space and weight on "feel good" items that are not necessary for absolute survival. If this were my bag, I would get rid of half the listed items and add more basic food bars, better medical, water and some sort of canvas tarp, half shelter or other light barrier to offer greater protection from elements(wind, rain, sun). Space blankets dont really pass my test for size & tuffness, they are more like a use once for 15min and discard kinda item.

AK_Stick
09-18-2011, 12:54
Might look into some of the Platapus/SOURCE water bladder/canteen replacements. They take up significantly less room, and don't really sacrifice much in the durability.

I think you've got too many knives, if you've got a good folder in your pocket, I think I'd keep a good medium sized folder, and the fixed blade, and ditch the rest of them.

Things to think about,

Nail clippers (small thought till you don't have them)
one of the MSR or other brand ultra light back packer stoves, and a bottle of gas. I prefer jet boil myself, but they' all work well.

cowboy1964
09-18-2011, 12:58
Seems like a lot of paracord.

Leatherman Wave is an awesome MT. On my "to buy" list.

Dexters
09-18-2011, 13:39
After looking at all the packs and things you have I would suggest you go to one larger pack.

What is the weight of the 3 packs empty?

You should definitely go on a long hike to test out wearing the 3 packs fully loaded. I think you will pare down the contents.

Do you have an extra pair of socks in there?

Aceman
09-18-2011, 20:22
Might look into some of the Platapus/SOURCE water bladder/canteen replacements. They take up significantly less room, and don't really sacrifice much in the durability.

I think you've got too many knives, if you've got a good folder in your pocket, I think I'd keep a good medium sized folder, and the fixed blade, and ditch the rest of them.

Things to think about,

Nail clippers (small thought till you don't have them)
one of the MSR or other brand ultra light back packer stoves, and a bottle of gas. I prefer jet boil myself, but they' all work well.

I saw the platypus in a shop. Was seriously considering it as an addition instead of second bladder...

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY KNIVES!

Nail clippers - great point! This inspires me to post a new thread....But two or three of my Swiss knives have scissors, which is what I actually use for that activity.

A small pack stove is absolutely an option I have been considering. definitely enough room in the big bag.

I actually have considerable spare space. Easily modifiable for extra clothes, more food, etc...

Aceman
09-18-2011, 20:25
After looking at all the packs and things you have I would suggest you go to one larger pack.

What is the weight of the 3 packs empty?

You should definitely go on a long hike to test out wearing the 3 packs fully loaded. I think you will pare down the contents.

Do you have an extra pair of socks in there?

Read the intro: My official decision/philosophy is LAYERS. I can add/remove packs as needed, and each has the basics (knife, water/fire/etc...)

One bag = one bad incident = gone.

I have hiked them (not the LAPD bag - that just replaced my old Eureka Moab) I'm comfortable. Planning a shakedown one weekend soon for a full day/night/day use.

I didn't show the clothes, but like the food, that changes. But socks are not a bad permanent item.

Aceman
09-18-2011, 20:27
Seems like a lot of paracord.

Leatherman Wave is an awesome MT. On my "to buy" list.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH PARACORD!

again - i have one, but a Wave or Gerber Suspnsion would really make me happen. But it's not as important as say a Katadyn filter.

I have a go-bag of tools too. Not for foot bug out.

Aceman
09-18-2011, 20:34
After looking over your bag and contents I rate it as follows:

Good layered system

Good camping bag (I say camping because in a camping situation you can always go home or get help if something go amiss or gets too bad)

unclear medical supplies- what is listed seem a little sub-basic

Rating this as a Survival bag, I would say that there is alot of wasted space and weight on "feel good" items that are not necessary for absolute survival. If this were my bag, I would get rid of half the listed items and add more basic food bars, better medical, water and some sort of canvas tarp, half shelter or other light barrier to offer greater protection from elements(wind, rain, sun). Space blankets dont really pass my test for size & tuffness, they are more like a use once for 15min and discard kinda item.

The medical comment always scares me....EMT's don't feel good without surgical gear, IV's and other well-beyond-my-capability items. I didn't list all the meds etc...though. Still, I have basic blood stopping, dental emergency, and basic cuts well covered.

Interesting opinion. I find the items I have to be MOSTLY basic survival gear (knife/water/fire theme etc...)

and I do have an 8x10 tarp, Bednet, real poncho, light poncho, space blanket, and 3 contractor bags and 300' of paracord. Short of a hurricane, I'm feeling ok...

What specifically would you get rid of? depending on the situation I might very well throw more food in. I have a good deal of available space for food/water/clothes etc...depending on the situation.

I like to keep basics stocked, and modify on the fly. For example - I might easily add ammo to the belt pouch and a .22 if I expect to be gone a long time. Or, I could toss another small bag of meds if I wanted (bottles of immodium, ibuprofin, etc...) if nasties were about.

I do not like a pack & forget bag. I like to leave some room/options for the situation, but be prepared enough if there is time.

FireForged
09-18-2011, 22:41
The medical comment always scares me....EMT's don't feel good without surgical gear, IV's and other well-beyond-my-capability items. I didn't list all the meds etc...though. Still, I have basic blood stopping, dental emergency, and basic cuts well covered.

I noticed you have a kit but not really sure what was in it. It may very well be good enough but I didnt want to say yeah or nah without a complete list. I have my med kit listed and its not advanced by any means but it is set up for large cuts, holes broken bones, burns and things that get nasty very fast

Interesting opinion. I find the items I have to be MOSTLY basic survival gear (knife/water/fire theme etc...)

and I do have an 8x10 tarp, Bednet, real poncho, light poncho, space blanket, and 3 contractor bags and 300' of paracord. Short of a hurricane, I'm feeling ok...

I must have missed your 8x10tarp.. I would still get rid of the space blanket and replace it with a poncho liner.

What specifically would you get rid of? depending on the situation I might very well throw more food in. I have a good deal of available space for food/water/clothes etc...depending on the situation.

Its really hard to tell someone else that they should get rid of anything. You may actually come to need something that purhaps I wouldnt in my area of the Country. I will say that speaking specifically about me in my situation, I would get rid of contents of the "comfort pack", hand sanitizer, bug spray, sun screen, half the light sticks, half the flashlights, half the para cord, contactors bags, apple things, drink mixes, limit to one fixed blade and one folder, meals, condoms, knee-hi's and use that space for something else.

I like to keep basics stocked, and modify on the fly. For example - I might easily add ammo to the belt pouch and a .22 if I expect to be gone a long time. Or, I could toss another small bag of meds if I wanted (bottles of immodium, ibuprofin, etc...) if nasties were about.

I do not like a pack & forget bag. I like to leave some room/options for the situation, but be prepared enough if there is time.

response to a couple of points

FireForged
09-18-2011, 23:09
To be fair I will post my contents so you may rate mine as well.

[E]nergy:

2 canteens of water plus a full camel-back.
1 US coast guard style/coconut food brick (18 bars)
1 usgi metal cup
1 metal spork
2 can SPAM
1 filter straw

[E]nvironment

1 french half shelter (basically a triangle shaped canvas tarp)
1 50ft 550 para-cord , 1 folding pocket knife(emerson) , 1 med size fenix flashlight
1 USGI wool blanket 1 Gortex poncho 1 poncho liner
1 wool cap, 1 gloves, 1 neck-muffler 1 boots
3 bic lighters 1 plastic container with 30 cotton balls
1 box matches
1 field knife (RAT cutlery)

[i]njury

Personal first aid kit

[E]nemy

Defensive tool/weapon(s) of your choice

[U]tility

1 small surefire led & xtra batteries
1 vmax tomahawk
$200.00 small bills
1 cell phone
1 pack gum
3 24hr candles
1 10' roll of speed tape
1 fire steel
-------------------------------------------------------------------

first aid kit

QT
10 3M #0086 large adhesive bandage
04 Spenco "second skin" moist burn pads (costly but well worth it)
01 Tube Foille Antiseptic gel
10 q-tips
02 Medicom triangular bandage40x 40x 56
02 Metal/Foam Finger Splint
10 Safety pins
10 Antiseptic wipes
02 3"x 72" ACE wrap
06 ACE clips
03 3"x 72" sterile gauze wrap
01 2part cold pack
02 10' rolls of medical tape
01 safety scissors
10 alcohol wipes
10 small butterfly bandages
10 large butterfly bandages
04 8" x 10" Kendall abdominal pad
04 2.5"x 2.5" eye pads
04 3"x 3" sterile pads
01 #4 pressure bandage
20 med curad adhesive bandage
20 small curad adhesive bandage
10 Curad finger tip adhesive bandage
10 Curad knuckle adhesive bandage
04 Telfa 4"x 4" adhesive pads
04 3"x 5" non adherent pads
04 2"x 2" non ahderent pads
01 USAF Sewing Kit
01 8oz plastic solution bottle (stream nozzle)
01 Tweezer
01 Sam Splint
06 moleskin squares

Dexters
09-19-2011, 06:40
Read the intro: My official decision/philosophy is LAYERS. I can add/remove packs as needed, and each has the basics (knife, water/fire/etc...)

One bag = one bad incident = gone.

I have hiked them (not the LAPD bag - that just replaced my old Eureka Moab) I'm comfortable. Planning a shakedown one weekend soon for a full day/night/day use.

I didn't show the clothes, but like the food, that changes. But socks are not a bad permanent item.

RE: Bags - won't you be wearing all 3 bags at some point with the layers? If so, I think it would be cumbersome and uncomfortable. The longer the journey the more important fit and weight become.

I use a backpack with stuff sacks to hold 'modules' of preps.

Good socks are often forgotten - they prevent blisters and can be changed out if the ones you are wearing get wet or sweaty.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 10:36
layered equipment is important. I would never want to have all my stuff in one sack. yeah it might be easier to carry but we arnt talking about a trek across Canada. A BoB is a very short term survival bag designed to sustain you while you get to somewhere better than where you are (if it becomes imperative that you leave). Heck, if its not imperative that I leave- Im buggin in. haha

The fact is that its unlikely that anyone is going to wear their pack 100% of the time. Anything that you take off in a dangerous environment, you may not be able to put back on if attacked or presended with some other type danger. Depending on what you are carrying, you may even have to ditch your pack for speed of escape. Even if someone does wear their pack 100% of the time, they may find themselves in a situation where they take a tumble, fall in a hole, trip down a mountain side or get stuck on a cliff face where they loose their pack all together.

If I lost my pack, I would still have a weapon, led light, fire making stuff, a knife, sweater, several food bars and 2qts of water.

Dexters
09-19-2011, 10:51
layered equipment is important. I would never want to have all my stuff in one sack. yeah it might be easier to carry but we arnt talking about a trek across Canada. A BoB is a very short term survival bag designed to sustain you while you get to somewhere better than where you are (if it becomes imperative that you leave).

You layer your clothes when wearing them. Wearing 3 bags is not layering. Of course you can have a main bag and a bare minimum bag. But, you wear them so they are don't restrict movement.

Look at the OP set up.

He has the LA 3 day pack w/shoulder straps and hip belt
Maxpediditon w/shoulder strap
3rd pack with hip belt
Try all that on and look how it affects
movement,
comfort
weight
balance
body temperature.
Then add all the adjustments you will be making as you move.

Those who hike know the importance of all of these when trying to put the miles behind you.

Bilbo Bagins
09-19-2011, 10:52
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Aceman_photos/Guns/DSCF1009.jpg

:rofl:

So I'm in Target the other day and I seen those Apple Sauce pouches, and I bought a box. Did I buy them for my kids? No, just like you I looked at them and said, Hey that might work out good in the BOB. Only 60 calories, but not bad for a quick sugar pick me up, while adding moisture to a dry mouth when hiking long distance.

I have to also agree with AK stick , the Platypus bladders and other containers are awesome

Dexters
09-19-2011, 11:01
So I'm in Target the other day and I seen those Apple Sauce pouches, and I bought a box. Did I buy them for my kids?

Check out Gummy Bears also

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--8433-2-1-2,00.html

FireForged
09-19-2011, 11:39
You layer your clothes when wearing them. Wearing 3 bags is not layering. Of course you can have a main bag and a bare minimum bag. But, you wear them so they are don't restrict movement.

Look at the OP set up.

He has the LA 3 day pack w/shoulder straps and hip belt
Maxpediditon w/shoulder strap
3rd pack with hip belt
Try all that on and look how it affects
movement,
comfort
weight
balance
body temperature.
Then add all the adjustments you will be making as you move.

Those who hike know the importance of all of these when trying to put the miles behind you.

I agree it doesnt mean wear 3 bags but a main and a backup is prudent... The the whole idea and methodology behind any layered system no matter if its a security or survival- is that if one portion fails, you have another level. If a person stores all their vital equipment in one bag and that bag is lost then "thats that". Having half a dozen bags inside a large bag will do no good if you loose the main pack.

IMO, if carrying around minimal short term gear for 72 or so hours is going to get he better of me then the problem is too much gear or not enough fitness.

In reviewing the OP's gear, I agree that he has too much of some items and not enough of others but the "manner" in which he plans to carry his gear and "what" he is carrying it in is fine- considering its estimated weight. A Main Pack, GI Butt-pack, canteens on a webbelt and a few items stuffed in pants pockets did the job for decades. What the OP has is a current day version of that same system. What I use is a little different but I like the bags he has chosen.

Dexters
09-19-2011, 11:50
IMO, if carrying around minimal short term gear for 72 or so hours is going to get he better of me then the problem is too much gear or not enough fitness.

People focus too much on the 'BAG' and not enough on 'BUG OUT'.
Bug out means putting distance between you and the crisis and getting to safety.

So, if people have too much 'BAG' and it doesn't fit properly - post #44 -
you will not be making the miles and the crisis
might just catch up with you.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 12:36
People focus too much on the 'BAG' and not enough on 'BUG OUT'.
Bug out means putting distance between you and the crisis and getting to safety.

So, if people have too much 'BAG' and it doesn't fit properly - post #44 -
you will not be making the miles and the crisis
might just catch up with you.

What you are saying has plenty of merit if we were talking about significant weight. What is typically described in a BOB thread is 20-25% of body weight. When we debate BugOUt stuff, the overall majority of the scenarios are based (worse case) on a person "walking" alone without any support. Speed, in that you get to safety prior to exhausting your supplies is certainly important. Speed as in moving 80miles in 12hrs is not really a typical model.

mac66
09-19-2011, 12:43
Let's see.... 2 -swiss army knives, 2 gerber folders, 2 multi-tools w/knives, 1-fork/spoon/knife tool, 1-Glock knife. 1-EMT scissors. That's only 8 knives and a pair of scissors.

I think you need more cutting tools. You need a fighting knife, a machete, a hatchet, a saw, maybe some throwing stars, a neck knife, a sword, and an ice pick. Plus, at least enough knives for each pocket. :whistling:

I heard Walmart has a sale on their "Giant Bag-O-Knives" might want to check it out. :supergrin:

FireForged
09-19-2011, 12:52
I think you need more knives. Five or 6 knives plus a multi-tool and EMT scissors aren't enough. You need a fighting knife, a machete, a hatchet, a saw, maybe some throwing stars, a neck knife, a sword, and an ice pick. At least enough knives for each pocket. :whistling:

Alot to be said about a good machete.. I could always find room for one but yeah he does have alot of cutting utencils. The Glock knife is a winner though. The Glock knife and a Gerber multi tool should be enough for anyone.

mac66
09-19-2011, 13:01
Alot to be said about a good machete.. I could always find room for one but yeah he does have alot of cutting utencils. The Glock knife is a winner though. The Glock knife and a Gerber multi tool should be enough for anyone.

And I'm trying to remember how I survived two weeks of wilderness backpacking with only one small Swiss army knife. Must have been a miracle.

Dexters
09-19-2011, 13:08

Speed, in that you get to safety prior to exhausting your supplies is certainly important.

No, speed is for getting away from danger. What good are all your supplies if you can't do that?

Speed as in moving 80miles in 12hrs is not really a typical model.

what is the typical model?

FireForged
09-19-2011, 13:31
And I'm trying to remember how I survived two weeks of wilderness backpacking with only one small Swiss army knife. Must have been a miracle.

I dont doubt that a person could survive just fine for 2 weeks of wilderness backpacking without any knife at all but thats not really the point. When you are talking about life safety/survival, some of the most basic of needs is cutting and fire making. If I were to plan for such a undertaking, I think it would be very reasonable to have at least one back up to each of those abilities.

Lone Kimono
09-19-2011, 13:43
Cowboys used to survive with a lot less than I have in my BOB. The key is knowledge and knowing how to use what you have.

Aceman
09-19-2011, 15:19
My "suit up"

Pouch in cargo pocket
Jumbo to the right
Canteen to the left - (canteen / jumbo balance)
Belt plus pouch
Pack (balances with extra stomach)

Overall, it is a lot of straps - but it doesn't weight that much and is pretty balanced. The pack is pretty light in general.

And a key point for me, is exactly what was mentioned. I can drop the pack and RUN. I can drop the canteen or belt too. A brief explore from camp I might have the belt and my pouch only. I might hand someone one of the bags (friend/family). Zombies may be hanging on to it.

Dexters
09-19-2011, 15:45
I dont doubt that a person could survive just fine for 2 weeks of wilderness backpacking without any knife at all but thats not really the point. When you are talking about life safety/survival, some of the most basic of needs is cutting and fire making. If I were to plan for such a undertaking, I think it would be very reasonable to have at least one back up to each of those abilities.

We're not talking surviving in the wilderness for weeks on end.

Nor do you want fire and smoke attracting attention to your position.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 16:11
No, speed is for getting away from danger. What good are all your supplies if you can't do that?

What is the typical model?

Speed as a matter of overall importance depends greatly on what you are fleeing from. A Forrest fire, a tsumani or a rogue meteor (haha) are all things I would want to gain as much distance as possible and as quickly as possible. If that were the case and speed was more important than duration, I would agree that trying to carry a bunch of stuff would not be a good idea.

What is a typical model? A Typical model for this kind of debate is a temp breakdown in the fabric of society and services (food /water /utility/ leo/ ems/ permanent safe shelter) Causing a person to flee to a more stable area for help or assistance. This kind of event could be caused by any number of disasters but typically in these debates, a person must flee into uncertain civil unrest by vehicle or worse case-by foot. Typically in these debate it is accepted that a person afoot would stand a good chance of walking out of a localized disaster to find safety with just basic supplies. 72hrs has been coined as the universally accepted minimum survival load.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 16:26
We're not talking surviving in the wilderness for weeks on end.

Nor do you want fire and smoke attracting attention to your position.

I realize we are not talking about weeks, I was responding to mac's jest about too many knives.

Not wanting fire or smoke to give away a persons position is really a balance between the threat of being discovered and the threat of freezing. Its possible to deal with both concerns with a little ingenunity.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 16:30
These food bars taste pretty good. One bar every (4) hrs "on land".

Dexters
09-19-2011, 16:33
Speed as a matter of overall importance depends greatly on what you are fleeing from. A Forrest fire, a tsumani or a rogue meteor (haha) are all things I would want to gain as much distance as possible and as quickly as possible. If that were the case and speed was more important than duration, I would agree that trying to carry a bunch of stuff would not be a good idea.

What is a typical model? A Typical model for this kind of debate is a temp breakdown in the fabric of society and services (food /water /utility/ leo/ ems/ permanent safe shelter) Causing a person to flee to a more stable area for help or assistance. This kind of event could be caused by any number of disasters but typically in these debates, a person must flee into uncertain civil unrest by vehicle or worse case-by foot. Typically in these debate it is accepted that a person afoot would stand a good chance of walking out of a localized disaster to find safety with just basic supplies. 72hrs has been coined as the universally accepted minimum survival load.

Roger that.
So, it comes down to a balance of, location, knowledge, emergency expectations, equipment and resulting speed, heavily influenced by the person's physical ability. You can tell when things are out of balance.

There was a post recently of a guy that did try out his BOB by being dropped off 15(?) miles from home and walking back. He learned a lot about his equipment (and lack of it) and his physical abilities.

Dexters
09-19-2011, 16:40
Not wanting fire or smoke to give away a persons position is really a balance between the threat of being discovered and the threat of freezing. Its possible to deal with both concerns with a little ingenunity.

If freezing is a concern in your area then the BOB should have included something to take care of it.

Cold weather is where layering really shines. Use synthetics and avoid cotton - it looses its thermal properties when wet.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 16:40
My "suit up"

Pouch in cargo pocket
Jumbo to the right
Canteen to the left - (canteen / jumbo balance)
Belt plus pouch
Pack (balances with extra stomach)

Overall, it is a lot of straps - but it doesn't weight that much and is pretty balanced. The pack is pretty light in general.

And a key point for me, is exactly what was mentioned. I can drop the pack and RUN. I can drop the canteen or belt too. A brief explore from camp I might have the belt and my pouch only. I might hand someone one of the bags (friend/family). Zombies may be hanging on to it.

I agree with your method... and honestly we could debate all day about supplies but I think you have a good bag.

FireForged
09-19-2011, 16:44
If freezing is a concern in your area then the BOB should have included something to take care of it.

Cold weather is where layering really shines. Use synthetics and avoid cotton - it looses its thermal properties when wet.

I am kinda old fashioned in that regard and have been considering some thought into synthetics.

Dexters
09-19-2011, 16:58
I am kinda old fashioned in that regard and have been considering some thought into synthetics.

Here are some suggestions
- all clothing should have at least a 1/4 chest zipper to regulate body temps

Underarmor cold weather gear
REI base layer
Very Thin fleece

I've climbed Colorado 14ers in March with the above and a soft shell jacket. For the south you probably could the Underarmor cold gear.

I carry this for an emergency and other things when winter hiking.

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-ultralight-thermawrap-insulation-jacket-mens

Pants - go with good hiking pants with zip off legs, synthetic underwear, rain pants, REI lite base layer as needed

FireForged
09-19-2011, 16:59
Roger that.
So, it comes down to a balance of, location, knowledge, emergency expectations, equipment and resulting speed, heavily influenced by the person's physical ability. You can tell when things are out of balance.

yes and specific threat.. I like how you said it better.

There was a post recently of a guy that did try out his BOB by being dropped off 15(?) miles from home and walking back. He learned a lot about his equipment (and lack of it) and his physical abilities

I remember that thread and forgot to follow up on it. how did he fair and did he like his shoes afterwards? hahah.

I gotta find that old thread, I am sure I tagged it

mac66
09-20-2011, 08:38

You don't need a knife to gather wood, build a shelter or make a fire. The only thing you really need it for is to cut cordage or cut meat. Which is why a Swiss army knife is all you really need.

After much time spent in the boondocks when I was younger I tend to be a minimalist. Having said that however, I will admit that a good fixed blade knife and a SAK (for the extra blade, scissors, tweezers, screwdriver etc) is what I have in my BOB.

pugman
09-20-2011, 11:09
I didn't go through all the comments so maybe someone already mentioned it.

I would ditch the pen for a pencil...ink runs in the rain....pens can "explode"..etc

Those paracord bundles (especially the ones exposed) I would put in heavy duty plastic freezer bags. If you are travelling anywhere in the woods, those little loops will get caught on everything; in addition you have the bag and little to no extra weight. Maybe some sort of cloth pouch?

TangoFoxtrot
09-21-2011, 03:03

You heard this before..." Two is one and one is none! ":whistling:

TangoFoxtrot
09-21-2011, 03:11
FireForged Quote: "If I lost my pack, I would still have a weapon, led light, fire making stuff, a knife, sweater, several food bars and 2qts of water".

Good tactical move!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Aceman
09-21-2011, 04:48
If I have a good knife, I can make a lot of the things i need. If i have a crappy knife, it may take longer, if i have the right knife, it could be easier/faster.

There is no such thing as too many knives. I will add another to the main pack (K-bar type) at some point.

And a machete - just can't decide on which. I have a yard tool in the shed in an emergency.

Aceman
09-21-2011, 04:50
FireForged Quote: "If I lost my pack, I would still have a weapon, led light, fire making stuff, a knife, sweater, several food bars and 2qts of water".

Good tactical move!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

If i lose my pack I have a lot more than that. As I said - Knife, water, fire, meds, and light in THREE locations: pouch, bag, pack.

swatcop
09-21-2011, 05:24
Antibacterial wipes, extra phone battery and clean rages with zip locks. A lot of those items can be deleted unless you are going overseas IMO. Just be realistic on your needs and availability to get certain items during an emergency event/incident.

RatDrall
09-21-2011, 05:29
Cowboys used to survive with a lot less than I have in my BOB. The key is knowledge and knowing how to use what you have.

Please point out, for the S&P section, where you can buy such "knowledge" on the internets :supergrin:

Buying cool gear is more fun, and easier, than knowing what to do with it...

Catshooter
09-21-2011, 12:16
I have used super glue for closing wounds. It works very well. If possible get the gel type glue it runs less. Most wounds are at least moist if not wet and the gel tends to stay in place better.

Of course the wound must be as clean as you can make it. Once glued you'll have to cut it open if you want back in. The gel is also easier to control so that you don't glue body parts together that you'd prefer to remain useful.

As an electrician we would use electrical tape to cover a cut/wound in the field. It stays in place much better than anything else we ever tried and of course was always availble to us. Cheap too.

Good bag set up. I would add a hankerchief (is that how you spell it?), and for sure spare socks.

I live across the bay from you and you won't find a poncho in mine bag either. Except for all three days of winter I'd never use one.

Cat

Aceman
09-22-2011, 13:49
The poncho liner is my main sleep bag.

puckhead
09-22-2011, 16:39
I think one person sorta got on the line I am about to get at. What about all the stuff you are going to wear? I say have it ready and loaded. Get a good pair off zip off 5.11 type pants with pockets. Load them up. food, medical, ammo ( mags in the sap pouches etc.) and have them ready to go sitting by your bag. A good hunting vest with stuff in the pockets. if you really had to you could throw those clothes on and go without the bag. Not necessarily what you would want to do, but if needed you could.