What did I get into??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What did I get into???

Generalcarry
09-17-2011, 12:56
I have a friend that has a PC running VISTA that is 2 or 3 years old and has NEVER had any sort of cleaning. No disk clean-up, defrag...nothing! He says there are business files and some "important stuff" but not sure where it is.
I told him I'd help clean it up, but on the ride home I realized I'm not sure where to start. I was going to download Adv. systems care 4, Ccleaner and maybe Malwarebytes but it would probable take hours to run.
I'd really like to help him out but... lets be real.
Any ideas where I could start?

Linux3
09-17-2011, 13:42
The guy who runs this site;
http://securitytango.com/windows.php

Is the senior systems admin at RIT.
He knows his stuff. Just follow step by step and don't skip anything.

Drjones
09-17-2011, 16:11
I'd image the drive, and do a clean install of Windows 7.

Vista is an abortion of an OS.

Just go through with him all the programs he has installed and make sure he has discs to reinstall them, or can download the program(s) from the internet.

Pierre!
09-17-2011, 20:37
Be *SURE* you have a backup, or his signature on a piece of paper saying he understands the risks...

Whenever they say *business files* it changes the game... You loose a bunch of music, well they will live...

YOU lose business files (AND YOU will get the blame even though it's the 'clients' responsibility to protect business data) and yer in a feces storm you don't want to deal with...

Been There, Done That - Burned the T-Shirt, never looked back...

Business Files = Approach With Caution!

Sometimes it's best to walk away... :)

Patrick

Sgt. Schultz
09-18-2011, 14:59
Be *SURE* you have a backup, or his signature on a piece of paper saying he understands the risks...

I do that and then I take it a step further to cover my back side ...

Like you said I always get my clients to sign off on disc formatting, explaining that they will have to reinstall all of their programs, games etc ... and restore their data, that is unless they want to pay me to do it.

Then before I start I create an image of any hard drive that I have to format, that way when they call in a couple of weeks crying about a file I can recover it. Also whenever I take on a new client one of the first things that I do is to image their "mission critical" computers, data can be recovered in minutes but reinstalling software and reconfiguring a workstation can take days.

Generalcarry
09-19-2011, 14:19
I think trying to clean his computer may be beyond my skill level. Would it do any good to just use the system files to do the disk clean, then download and run those free downloads?

Pierre!
09-20-2011, 08:02
I think trying to clean his computer may be beyond my skill level. Would it do any good to just use the system files to do the disk clean, then download and run those free downloads?

Generalcarry, system tools, knowing where TEMP files are stored... All these things *could* help...

BUT... :cool:

There is this thing - It's called "But YOU Touched It Last" - that comes into play!

I used to clean VCR's back when they were in use... I would get calls about how the TV was working differently now, and I must have done something to the TV when I cleaned the VCR... so now I needed to come fix it.

It usually took 30 minutes to explain that there is no way that I affected the TV when I *cleaned* (not REPAIRED) the VCR...

Keep this in mind...

Consider this - Your friend may or may not have a good surge suppressor. You could be working on the system, a spike comes along, and suddenly the system won't start - And YOU Touched It Last - and so you get to work on an old system that was ready to die, and you were in the chair when it happened...

If this is a friend that you want to keep, make up a 'Hold Harmless Agreement' and have him SIGN AND DATE IT to C-Y-A...

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT fool with Registry Cleaners. I got a *bit* aggressive one time and ended up doing a reinstall simply because of niggling little issues that resulted...

Beware that people don't always put their data where they are supposed to... working with a co-worker (I was IT, she was financial account manager) and she was having issues with Outlook. She had over 10,000 emails in her 'Deleted Items' and just before I deleted them all I remarked that these need to go, they are slowing down the email store...

Her eyes got big - "NO, You Can't Delete Those! Those are VERY IMPORTANT!"

I said look, when you put Very Important Things in the recycle bin or Deleted Items, you are begging for one of my Techs to deleted them when you are not around - it's why the *Deleted Items* are LABELED Deleted Items and you need to move them and file them as needed - NOW! And don't ever do this again cause you WILL get burned.... (I was the Director of IS at the time, and had a talk with her Dept Head, and a Memo went out that day)

I have a couple of 'Back To School Tune Up' articles on my site if you want to check them out...

Your thread here points out that I need to put some *disclaimers* into those posts :supergrin: but they would surely help you out if you want to check em out...

Back To School Time! Are You Prepared? Part 1 (http://seeberconsultblog.com/back-to-school-time-are-you-prepared-part-1/)

This will get you started, and there is some serious *meat* in Part 2...

I still think you should write up a 'Hold Harmless Agreement' just to assure that a backup is done before you begin, and that he won't blame you... be sure you include that computers can stop operating at any time and that you will be doing the stuff you do all the time to Your Own computer...

And if he won't sign, walk away... :cool:

Good Luck with this!

Patrick

Generalcarry
09-20-2011, 11:44
[QUOTE=Pierre!;17941011]Generalcarry, system tools, knowing where TEMP files are stored... All these things *could* help...

BUT...

Each time I ask a question here I find out how little I know. That's good because now I'm a little smarter. I made the offer to help the guy out when I seen his icons were not only scattered and overlapping, but were different sizes!
I think I'll help him find a pro who can do a good job.
I did copy the sight you guys offered and I'll show him the "security Tango" and ask if he wants to try that :rofl:, and when his machine is clean I'll give him the back to school site. I don't know why it bothers me. Before I retired I was literally #99 of of 100 (right brained) when tested professionally. Hell, I haven't seen my desk calendar in months.

Once again,

Thanks!

Pierre!
09-20-2011, 18:56
Hey Generalcarry,

I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want to hear about you in trouble cause you went to do good... and something strange happened.

It's happened to me, as well as the other Pro's who run around on this forum... we all get them!

But ya got to have the safety nets in place...

I applaud your decision to help him find a good tech! AND - when you get to know this tech, and see his work, you will have more confidence and trust in who ever it is... and that will probably be handy sometime down the road.

Let us know how this ends up!

Patrick

Generalcarry
09-21-2011, 02:32
Hey Generalcarry,

I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want to hear about you in trouble cause you went to do good... and something strange happened.

It's happened to me, as well as the other Pro's who run around on this forum... we all get them!

But ya got to have the safety nets in place...

I applaud your decision to help him find a good tech! AND - when you get to know this tech, and see his work, you will have more confidence and trust in who ever it is... and that will probably be handy sometime down the road.

Let us know how this ends up!

Patrick

Will do!