piece of @#%&! light holder! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : piece of @#%&! light holder!

cowboywannabe
09-17-2011, 16:02
bought a Maverick 88 with an 18.5" bbl.

put some cheesy ass light holder on it and fired 3 rounds of 00 buck before the holder and light fell off.

what light holder do you guys recommend that is not super tactical, no need for 10 gizmos, dont want to replace the forestock......just a basic light holder that will stay the frack on.

pix are always good.

thanks.

aippi
09-17-2011, 16:05
www.Elzetta.com (http://www.Elzetta.com) Your search is over.

cowboywannabe
09-17-2011, 16:16
www.Elzetta.com (http://www.Elzetta.com) Your search is over.

Will the Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount work with my shotgun? The Elzetta ZSM will work with Remington 870, Remington 1100, Remington 1187, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590, Mossberg 590A1, Mossberg 835, Mossberg 930 SPX, Benelli M1, Benelli M2, Benelli M4, Benelli Nova, Benelli Super Nova, Winchester Defender, and many other shotguns that have 1-3/4" (44 mm) of free space on the magazine tube and barrel.

measured it, dont think it will work with this one.

thanks though.

Aceman
09-17-2011, 16:17
I like a small piece of UTG tri-rail. Try Cheaper than dirt and search shotgun tri-rail. Three slots will do the job, plus the mount of your choice.

DHSGMAN
09-17-2011, 18:42
Nordic Components http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/nordic-components-barrel-clamps-and-followers-c-412_458_569.html

SCSU74
09-17-2011, 21:35
cdmgear.com

WoodenPlank
09-18-2011, 06:25
cdmgear.com

This would absolutely be my answer.

SCSU74
09-18-2011, 11:46
This would absolutely be my answer.

i'm spoiled living in Tx, most everything i need for my guns i can drive and pick up. Drove to cdmgear's home and picked mine up, he's a great guy and makes an outstanding product! I use mine daily on my patrol shotgun and have had 0 issues, my shotty gets bumped around A LOT, the mount is still rock solid.

David Armstrong
09-18-2011, 14:16
what light holder do you guys recommend that is not super tactical, no need for 10 gizmos, dont want to replace the forestock......just a basic light holder that will stay the frack on.
A couple of pieces of bicycle inner tube work quite well. Personally I've never seen the need for a weapon mounted light on a shotgun but lots of folks seem to buy them.

SCSU74
09-19-2011, 18:17
A couple of pieces of bicycle inner tube work quite well. Personally I've never seen the need for a weapon mounted light on a shotgun but lots of folks seem to buy them.

target identification??

22highcaps
09-19-2011, 19:09

:wow:
Despite my preference for pistol grip full stocks, I can rationalize your preference for conventional stocks pretty easily. However, the notion of not seeing the a need for a light is something I just cannot understand when coming from a shotgun instructor.

The bike innertube suggestion is a great idea in any case.

faceplant
09-24-2011, 20:26

Seems like a strange response from you. The reason would be the same as any other weapon light.

To the OP I have a a $15 brinkman in a 10 barrel clamp that has outlasted my surefire forend mount.

Aceman
09-25-2011, 09:53

You been drinking????? Explain man....we are generally 100% in agreement.

Light is 100% the ONLY required accessory for an HD weapon IMO - pistol, SG, whatever...

David Armstrong
09-26-2011, 12:07
target identification??
However, the notion of not seeing the a need for a light is something I just cannot understand when coming from a shotgun instructor.
Seems like a strange response from you. The reason would be the same as any other weapon light.
You been drinking????? Explain man....we are generally 100% in agreement.
I like light, and recommend everyone have a light, just not on the gun. Folks managed to do quite well in identifying targets without putting a light on their gun for a long time. I dislike using a weapon-mounted light and don't have one on any of my guns. I prefer a light separate from the firearm itself, seems far more versatile and effective for me. Seems to downgrade the ability to use the light and the ability to use the gun. I buy into it a bit for LE/military entry teams, but that is about it and even then I'm not happy about it. Just seen too many NDs during training when using a weapon-mounted light for search/ID purposes.

22highcaps
09-26-2011, 12:37
I like light, and recommend everyone have a light, just not on the gun. Folks managed to do quite well in identifying targets without putting a light on their gun for a long time. I dislike using a weapon-mounted light and don't have one on any of my guns. I prefer a light separate from the firearm itself, seems far more versatile and effective for me. Seems to downgrade the ability to use the light and the ability to use the gun. I buy into it a bit for LE/military entry teams, but that is about it and even then I'm not happy about it. Just seen too many NDs during training when using a weapon-mounted light for search/ID purposes.

Were the NDs with pistols or shotguns?

Bubbiesdad
09-26-2011, 20:01
I like my Lumaforce.

http://www.lumaforce.com/

cowboywannabe
09-26-2011, 20:23
its not my light that im pissed off at, its the p.o.s. light holder.

anybody have one mounted on a short bbl maverick 88?

dc2integra
09-26-2011, 21:14
Get the laserlyte tri rail it holds up great on my mossberg 500.

Andrewsky
09-27-2011, 00:04

Of course the gorilla in the room is that you can't really use a light and a shotgun at the same time unless the light is on the shotgun.

Just because you have a light on your weapon does not mean you have to use it. If you don't have a light you don't even have the option.

Putting night lights with back-up batteries throughout the house might be an alternative. If the enemy has access to your electrical panel they could eliminate the power to your lights. These nightlights are available on Amazon.

The fact that people who care about winning (LE/MIL) and don't care about money pretty much always use weapon lights on their long arms is what I call a clue.

cowboywannabe
09-27-2011, 08:31
Get the laserlyte tri rail it holds up great on my mossberg 500.

the 500 and the 88 have different mag tube connectors to the barrel. thats why i asked specificially for a pic of a 18.5" bbl model 88 with a light holder.....nothing seems to work unless i cliamp it on the barrel. the mag tube is just too short of clearence.

Bubbiesdad
09-27-2011, 19:57
its not my light that im pissed off at, its the p.o.s. light holder.

anybody have one mounted on a short bbl maverick 88?

The Lumaforce mount is sturdy. Mounts to the mag tube. It handles 3" magnum rounds just fine. It's about 1 inch wide.

cowboywannabe
09-27-2011, 20:04
The Lumaforce mount is sturdy. Mounts to the mag tube. It handles 3" magnum rounds just fine. It's about 1 inch wide.

does it need more tha 1.25" of clearance to mount to the tube?

David Armstrong
09-28-2011, 10:56
Were the NDs with pistols or shotguns?
Both, and some with carbines.

David Armstrong
09-28-2011, 11:00
Of course the gorilla in the room is that you can't really use a light and a shotgun at the same time unless the light is on the shotgun.
Sorry, but that is simply not true. One can easily use a light and a shotgun when they are separate.
The fact that people who care about winning (LE/MIL) and don't care about money pretty much always use weapon lights on their long arms is what I call a clue.
LE/MIL don't use the longarms in an HD role, they use it quite differently. Like I said, "I buy into it a bit for LE/military entry teams" but the homeowner HD role is not that of a member on an entry team.

Bubbiesdad
09-28-2011, 11:15
does it need more tha 1.25" of clearance to mount to the tube?

Less, 11/16ths wide.

http://www.lumaforce.com/shsctumo1in.html

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/bubbiesdad/DSCN0491.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/bubbiesdad/DSCN0500.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/bubbiesdad/DSCN0498.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/bubbiesdad/DSCN0499.jpg

faceplant
09-28-2011, 11:38

I don't wanna highjack this thread so I will start a new one in training.

cowboywannabe
09-30-2011, 12:01
Bubbiesdad,

thats it! now if i could only get them to answer the phone...........

Bubbiesdad
09-30-2011, 13:10
Bubbiesdad,

thats it! now if i could only get them to answer the phone...........

I just used online ordering when I bought from them, several orders. They are fairly quick, and customer service is also good. Had a problem with a flashlight pouch and they sent me a new one pronto.

mdfd
10-14-2011, 14:57
cdmgear.com

Everytime I have checked their website, their BMT clamp has been out of stock....:faint:
how much does the BMT typically cost?

aippi
10-14-2011, 18:22
There are CDM Gear brackets listed on Gun Broker.

mdfd
10-14-2011, 19:06
There are CDM Gear brackets listed on Gun Broker.

thanx!:wavey: Any 3-rail in stock? Trying to cut down on weight as much as possible at the muzzle end as I do not expect to put anything other than a flashlight on an HD shotgun...

Any idea how these compare with the Nordic Components one?
http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/nordic-components-gauge-shotgun-extension-tube-clamp-with-rail-p-2112.html

jeffshead
12-04-2012, 19:30
Just ordered the LumaForce light and mount (http://www.lumaforce.com/shotgun-lighting-system.html).

Can't beat the price.

I'll post back my humble review once I put it through the paces.

SCSU74
12-06-2012, 14:45
Just ordered the LumaForce light and mount (http://www.lumaforce.com/shotgun-lighting-system.html).

Can't beat the price.

I'll post back my humble review once I put it through the paces.

Wow that sticks out far, looks like a failed cdm mount

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jeffshead
12-06-2012, 14:53
Wow that sticks out far, looks like a failed cdm mount
What else, in this price range, is better?

countrygun
12-06-2012, 15:22
OK let me address the OP and try to defuse his anger with little story.

When I was in college I had a little group of fellow shooters and we took frequent range trips.

On one of these range trips one of the group brought along the pre-war Winchester 70 30-06hehad inherited. None of us were all that familiar with a rifle, or scope mounts like that.

I was spotting for the shooter/owner as he attempted to zero it at 100 yds. He was frustrated after a box of ammo and no two shots within 8" of each other.we let is cool several times, I tried it no joy. Finally, with 5 rds left in the second, and last, box of ammo we settled down for one more try.

I was watching the target, I heard,

"BANG ........OUCH sonofunmarriedfemaldogwithpenchantforunnaturalacts"

I looked over, he looked at me and there was a trickle of blood running from his forehead,down his nose and dripping onto the bench. I looked at the rifle, there was no scope. just the bases and the levers for the quick release mounts (something we had managed to overlook).

I reached under the bench and came up with the scope. As I handed it to him I said, (In the driest voice I could manage)

"Well, I am glad we finally figured out what was causing the zero to shift, it was bugging the heck out of me"

"&&*%*&%%!!!!!! Yourself"

Was all the gratitude I got for my "help".

Travclem
12-07-2012, 09:09
A weapon light doesn't have to be pointed at someone to see them. Shine a 200 lumen light on the floor of a dark room and the whole room lights up.

vafish
12-07-2012, 15:31
A weapon light doesn't have to be pointed at someone to see them. Shine a 200 lumen light on the floor of a dark room and the whole room lights up.

Or I can just throw the switch on the wall.

I don't have a light on any of my hd guns. Just don't see a need for it.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

MrMurphy
12-07-2012, 16:08
Having spent a lot of time in the dark pointing weapons at people with and without a weaponlight..... hopefully, you'll never find out the hard way how wrong you are.

jeffshead
12-07-2012, 19:45
How do you hold a separate flashlight and operate a Mossberg 500 while walking down the steps to the the rear end of the living room which has one lightswitch which is all the way on the other side of the room? Just asking.

SCSU74
12-07-2012, 20:16
What else, in this price range, is better?

Mod C from cdmgear.com + surefire G2 or fury

jeffshead
12-08-2012, 20:36
Mod C from cdmgear.com + surefire G2 or fury
Thanks but that's not in the same price range. The CDM mount alone costs more than the Lumaforce light & mount.

mjkeat
12-09-2012, 01:24
I just do not understand the two discusions going on here.

One is a back and forth about weapon mounted lights. We have a firearms instructor saying that weapon mounted lights are only relevant for LEO/Mil. It's nice to know how to use a handheld light in conjunction w/ a firearm. There just isn't a reason not to mount one to the weapon. Why tie up a hand if you don't need to. It makes everything (reloads, malfunction clearing) much more difficult. Especially on a long gun.

Learn to use it properly, momentary on/off, etc...

I am curious as to how the instructor would recommend using a handheld light while running a long gun.

The second is that I'll never understand people throwing cheap junk on their defensive weapons. It blows my mind.

jb1911
12-09-2012, 07:05
You want the L&M light mount:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FJfSv6CXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7264844508_5bc5169a60_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7428393112_03c0d35fdb_b.jpg

Absolutely stays put and it only clamps to the mag tube. I didn't like any of the mounts that attach to the mag tube and the barrel because every time I wanted to take the barrel off I had to get the allen pack out and take the light mount off first.

JBL13
12-09-2012, 09:25
Having spent a lot of time in the dark pointing weapons at people with and without a weaponlight..... hopefully, you'll never find out the hard way how wrong you are.

Safe, effective use of a weapon-mounted light is simply a training issue, no?

vafish
12-09-2012, 13:40

Inside my home, just not needed. There is plenty of light at night. I get up in the middle of the night every now and then and can walk around just fine without bumping into things. I know my house and were the furniture is. There are lots of light sources from the LED's in various appliances, stereo, cable box, battery chargers, ect....

I can walk around without making noise, but I bet an intruder can't. My home isn't that big and there are a couple of nice choke points. I will know where an intruder is before they know where I am.

That and I have 2 K9-A1 intruder detection systems. I don't need to see an intruder, I just need to aim above the barking noises. :supergrin:

I do have night sights on my carry gun and shotgun.

Now outside the home, in strange locations I can see the usefulness of a light. I don't have a weapon attached one, but I do carry a light.

jeffshead
12-11-2012, 19:35
You want the L&M light mount... didn't like any of the mounts that attach to the mag tube and the barrel...
That's why I don't like the CDM MOD-C mount plus I feel it is over priced. I learned the hard way, long ago, that you usually get what you pay for but most importantly... more expensive does not always mean better.

Thanks jb1911 for your post! I ordered the L&M mount for $25.

I've read nothing but good reviews of the Lumaforce light and I own a few high quality knock offs and all of them are brighter, look, feel and perform just as well as my Surefire but they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

In a week or so, I'll dump several high pressure loads through the gun and report back on how the Lumaforce light and L&M mount hold up.

MrMurphy
12-12-2012, 06:46
You must positively ID a threat. Every single time.

Several guys thinking like you ended up shooting their wives or kids because they didn't think they needed a light.

A pastor I knew once almost shot his then-girlfriend in a similar incident.

The areas I used to conduct operations in on active duty I trained in, every day. Repeatedly, while on duty. Sometimes up to 15 times a day we'd run dry-runs. I could literally walk the place blindfolded pretty much and know where I was.

Still used a light. Every time. Even though our rules of engagement were far, far looser than yours.

SCSU74
12-12-2012, 09:52
That's why I don't like the CDM MOD-C mount plus I feel it is over priced. I learned the hard way, long ago, that you usually get what you pay for but most importantly... more expensive does not always mean better.

Thanks jb1911 for your post! I ordered the L&M mount for $25.

I've read nothing but good reviews of the Lumaforce light and I own a few high quality knock offs and all of them are brighter, look, feel and perform just as well as my Surefire but they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

In a week or so, I'll dump several high pressure loads through the gun and report back on how the Lumaforce light and L&M mount hold up.

Buy once, cry once. I usually avoid the cheap route and finding "just as good" products, especially with firearm/work gear. I rarely if ever take the barrel off my work 870. The cdm mount has been solid with no complaints. For $40 it does what it's supposed to.

jeffshead
12-15-2012, 08:48
Last night, I put the LumaForce light and the L&M Single Ring mount through the paces. After installing the mount and light, it's rock solid. You can't twist or move either with your hand. I shot 25 3" magnum slugs/buckshot without so much as a hiccup. Shoulder's a little tender though.

I'm very happy with my $75 investment and highly recommend this combo.

Thanks again jb1911 for recommending the L&M mount.

smokin762
12-15-2012, 08:58
I would just change out the forearm with one that has rails.

I have the OEM forearm with rails on my Mossberg 590 A1. It works very well. They are not too expensive either.

Amazon.com: Mako Mossberg 500/590 Handguards with 3 Rails: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OCX6RBMzL.@@AMEPARAM@@41OCX6RBMzL

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1692&pictureid=6109

jeffshead
12-15-2012, 10:35
Please take no offense but that forearm mount sticks out too far for my taste and it eats up a ton of hand space.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61k1UEii42L.jpg

Compare:
http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/flashlight_Adapter_Shotgun_Mount.jpg

To each his own... It's all good :supergrin:

jb1911
12-15-2012, 18:52
Last night, I put the LumaForce light and the L&M Single Ring mount through the paces. After installing the mount and light, it's rock solid. You can't twist or move either with your hand. I shot 25 3" magnum slugs/buckshot without so much as a hiccup. Shoulder's a little tender though.

I'm very happy with my $75 investment and highly recommend this combo.

Thanks again jb1911 for recommending the L&M mount.

Glad to help. I don't know why more people don't use this mount.

jeffshead
01-17-2013, 14:46
Someone asked...
http://i.imgur.com/Jyk0X.jpg

The mount measures 23/32" thick. Just a hair under 3/4".