windows 7 crashed. Need help!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 crashed. Need help!!!

lpo
09-17-2011, 18:22
A few days ago, my emachines laptop froze up and then restarted. When it did, Windows 7 would not come up. I don't have a backup disc and it did not come with any other software. Is there a way that I might be able to fix this.

If you need more info as to what it is doing, feel free to ask. I am on a 3rd grade level when it comes to computers, so treat me as such.:supergrin:

mgo
09-17-2011, 23:16
A few days ago, my emachines laptop froze up and then restarted. When it did, Windows 7 would not come up. I don't have a backup disc and it did not come with any other software. Is there a way that I might be able to fix this.

If you need more info as to what it is doing, feel free to ask. I am on a 3rd grade level when it comes to computers, so treat me as such.:supergrin:

If you have created a Windows 7 startup disk, boot over that and go to the repair menu.

Or, boot over your Windows 7 install disk and go to the repair menu and follow the instructions.

Or, perhaps your machine has a F1 (or similar button) to press during startup. Some sort of instruction usually shows up during boot. That will allow a fresh install from the factory installed recovery partition if there is one on the hard drive.

If you do not have a recovery disk or install disk, you can borrow a Windows 7 install disk from another user, which should work on your machine, too.

And..you do have a backup of your personal files, I hope. Such as documents, photos, etc.

Sgt. Schultz
09-18-2011, 13:37
Windows 7 would not come up.

Do you see anything when you turn on the power (system logo or BIOS/system info), flashing lights or nothing at all?

wrenrj1
09-18-2011, 14:17
your hard drive may have just died. If so, you'll need to replace that first. VERY EASY to do.

MrSmoofy
09-18-2011, 16:27
Without any kind of disk you will probably have to take it to someone or fine someone that has one near you. People that don't make backups get what they deserve.

boozer
09-18-2011, 16:49
If your Hard Drive isn't toast, you could follow these instructions.

http://emachines-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631

If you replace your Hard Drive, this of course will not work.

If this works, make those backup disks.

Drjones
09-18-2011, 18:57
Do you have data on there that you care about? If so, is that data backed up somewhere?

If not, don't mess with it yourself. I've had several clients "do-it-yourself" into a big problem for themselves.