I was driving my car, minding my own business... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I was driving my car, minding my own business...

Detectorist
09-17-2011, 21:26
When a Cop stopped me.

I had just purchased, a few hours previous, a used vehicle. It was late afternoon, and the dealer had run out of temp tags.

On the way home, I decided to stop for some food and see some friends. After leaving my friends I headed straight home by way of Interstate 70.

He stopped me for not having tags displayed. I explained the situation to him and showed him the paperwork. I still got a ticket for failure to display a tag.

You win some and you lose some. I think my civil rights were violated somehow. :)

nitesite10mm
09-17-2011, 21:35
You gonna appear in court and discuss it with the prosecutor?

ChuteTheMall
09-17-2011, 21:37
You failed to display a tag, and got a ticket for failing to display a tag?

Your only hope would be if the cop failed to wear his hat.

puckhead
09-17-2011, 23:13
I look at the bill of sale and if it is within a few, your good. Had a guy the other day with the old owners plates, not new registration or anything but said he just bought it. Bill of sale said a month and a half ago:faint:

Trigger Finger
09-18-2011, 00:02
When a Cop stopped me.

I had just purchased, a few hours previous, a used vehicle. It was late afternoon, and the dealer had run out of temp tags.

On the way home, I decided to stop for some food and see some friends. After leaving my friends I headed straight home by way of Interstate 70.

He stopped me for not having tags displayed. I explained the situation to him and showed him the paperwork. I still got a ticket for failure to display a tag.

You win some and you lose some. I think my civil rights were violated somehow. :)

Civil rights violated. How exactly?

GPalmer
09-18-2011, 01:25
Civil rights violated. How exactly?

He was kidding, hence the Smiley...

NMPOPS
09-18-2011, 01:35
Your Temp Tag/regis should have been displayed in your rear window or where the rear plate should be.

Sent from my Ally

Hack
09-18-2011, 04:59
Where I am at we just switch tags if it is from a trade in vehicle. I would have made him take the trip to the office to get more and withhold payment for said vehicle until he made it all legal. But, you survived.:supergrin:

collim1
09-18-2011, 05:22
You bought a used car and left without a title and bill of sale in hand?

Bad move.

My state gives you twenty days to register the vehicle and display the tag. If stopped before then as long as the date on the bill of sale and title is less than 20 days past you dont get cited.

Detectorist
09-18-2011, 07:13
You bought a used car and left without a title and bill of sale in hand?

Bad move.

My state gives you twenty days to register the vehicle and display the tag. If stopped before then as long as the date on the bill of sale and title is less than 20 days past you dont get cited.

No, I have the title and bill of sale.

merlynusn
09-18-2011, 08:28
Yeah. I don't get why he gave you the ticket. You bought the car a couple hours before and he cited you? That's a pretty dick move.

Here you have over a week to get your car registered and get a temp tag after you buy it.

I definitely wouldn't pay the ticket off. I'd go get your car registered with a temp tag or a real license plate at DMV on Monday then go to the courthouse and explain the situation. They'll probably drop that faster than you can blink.

jwhite75
09-18-2011, 08:40
I would try the courthouse to see if they will drop it. If not then I would take it back to the dealership and ask for payment.

Patchman
09-18-2011, 08:52
Could your state be one where no registration on a newly purchased car is like a broken equipment (brake light, headlight, etc...), where if you fix it, the ticket gets dismissed?

3.slow
09-18-2011, 09:00
ran out of temp tags, like they didn't feel like going onto the dmv website and printing off the tag that costs $1, that temp tag?

Is this what we are talking about?

Phelen_Kell
09-18-2011, 11:32
Here in Ohio, you can put your old plates on it but must tranfer within 30 days. else, you'd better have a temp tag before leaving the lot. dealer should've given you something before you drove off, maybe even a dealer plate until he got temp tags in. make your dealer pay the ticket
:)

Panzergrenadier1979
09-18-2011, 11:58
We recently had a guy driving a Camaro do the same thing except he put on tags from another vehicle in order to drive it home (He had owned the car for approximately 30 minutes). He caught my co-worker's attention by peeling-out at a traffic light. My co-worker told me, later that day, that his intent was to give a written warning for the tag and the careless driving. Then the guy's driver's license came back suspended....... :whistling:

Trigger Finger
09-18-2011, 13:40
He was kidding, hence the Smiley...

Missed the Smiley..:embarassed:

In CA I think if you produce evidence of the tags they just write the citation off.

Straight Pipe
09-18-2011, 17:14
You win some and you lose some. I think my civil rights were violated somehow.

Yeah, you definately need to sue your 3rd grade teacher for mal-practice. You appearently didn't learn anything.

Detectorist
09-18-2011, 19:22
You win some and you lose some. I think my civil rights were violated somehow.

Yeah, you definately need to sue your 3rd grade teacher for mal-practice. You appearently didn't learn anything.

I would never sue my 3rd grade teacher. She was HAWT !

However, I wouldn't be so kind to your English teacher. :)

Don't smiley's mean anything anymore?

use2b6L32
09-19-2011, 00:32
I would never sue my 3rd grade teacher. She was HAWT !

However, I wouldn't be so kind to your English teacher. :)

Don't smiley's mean anything anymore?

LOL! Touche!

TheGreatGonzo
09-19-2011, 13:22
Good thing he did not find the dead hooker in the trunk and the 3 keys of blow in the trunk. Amatuer small-town cops...sheesh.:upeyes:

Boogiefan
09-19-2011, 13:41
Heck. I bought a car from an individual. No tag. Had a bill of sale and title. Got a ticket. Went to court. I won.:supergrin:

redbaron007
09-19-2011, 15:12
......his intent was to give a written warning for the tag and the careless driving. Then the guy's driver's license came back suspended....... :whistling:

Call me dumb....but I think someone had a bad day after that interesting little finding! :rofl:

:wavey:

red

GackMan
09-19-2011, 19:18
I don't know how they do things in MO but 'round here you show up with your registration all sorted out then you'll stand a pretty good chance of getting it dismissed.

Hollywood D
09-21-2011, 20:55
Most states allow you to drive on a bill of sale alone for 36 hours. That's how it is here. It's set up that way for private buyers and sellers. Obviously, some guy selling his own car can't get you a temp tag or a hard plate. You drive on the bill of sale to go get your e-check and then to the dmv for the hard plate.