.45 acp brass Problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 acp brass Problem

EL_NinO619
09-17-2011, 23:20
I am having a problem with the sizing of .45acp. I know how to set a die and have moved it down to shell plate and even up a little. Its not old brass or bad brass because I have checked it with several different once fired brass. So my question is since I dont have a second die to check this on. Can a Die go bad. I am using a Hornady New Dimension. It sizes with what looks like a brass ring. Could it just have opened up on me. I measured with a Cal but its reading normal. I really im baffled here. Tomorrow i will borrow a Die from Chris to see whats up. Could there be any other steps I can take etc.

Zombie Steve
09-17-2011, 23:23
Is it tough going in the die, not sizing down enough - what's happening?

Are you trying to resize brass that's already been flared?

Boxerglocker
09-17-2011, 23:24
Carbide ring could have broken, what exactly is the issue? Do you have a case gauge?

EL_NinO619
09-17-2011, 23:48
No I am re sizing on my LnL. Its not hard to size and yes there not going into my Lyman case gauge freely and some will only go half way in.

Boxerglocker
09-17-2011, 23:56
No I am re sizing on my LnL. Its not hard to size and yes there not going into my Lyman case gauge freely and some will only go half way in.

Change the die over to your single stage and try in there. Before you try it though, take the spindle and deprime pin out give it a clean with brake cleaner, inspect and lube with a little HOS if you don't find anything obviously wrong.

fredj338
09-18-2011, 09:16
The ring in the Hornady die is not brass but titanium nitride, what ever that is. It is possible the die is out of spec. Have you tried them in your bbls chamber? It is possble the gage is too tight. Checking it against a case sized in another dies hould verify that. You aren't doing anything wrong if the die is down all the way.

WiskyT
09-18-2011, 11:35
You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, twice, than wearing out a carbide or nitride die.

Are these loaded rounds that won't fit? Even unsized fired brass will fit in most chambers, although not as easily as we would want it to.

EL_NinO619
09-18-2011, 13:06
Fred most of them fit in the chamber(s), but some dont on a scary level. I will check with another gauge or use Chris's die. Oh ya and that carbide ring sure looks like brass to me :)

Wisky Yes these are loaded rounds, But I also just size the brass and then checked in gauge. Shiot I have no clue what it is

fredj338
09-18-2011, 13:11
Fred most of them fit in the chamber(s), but some dont on a scary level. I will check with another gauge or use Chris's die. Oh ya and that carbide ring sure looks like brass to me :)

Wisky Yes these are loaded rounds, But I also just size the brass and then checked in gauge. Shiot I have no clue what it is

But it's not brass, nor is it crbide. The titanium nitride is a golden colored plating process. http://brycoat.com/pvd-tin.html It could be teh die isn't right, happens, if Chris' die sizes correctly, then send it back. Hornady has great CS.

EL_NinO619
09-18-2011, 14:14
But it's not brass, nor is it crbide. The titanium nitride is a golden colored plating process. http://brycoat.com/pvd-tin.html It could be teh die isn't right, happens, if Chris' die sizes correctly, then send it back. Hornady has great CS.

That's what it looks like. If Chris's die works, then thats the game plan. Thanks

noylj
09-19-2011, 01:57
I have found that with 9x19 and .40S&W range pick-up brass, I was getting a raised brass line. I appeared to match the area of the feed ramp and I put down to slight bulge in the brass.
I raised my Hornady sizing die (which goes down further on the case than others) and that pretty much eliminated the failure to chamber.
I have since gotten the Lee Bulge Buster, used with the Lee FCD, for all my .45 and .40 brass. Lee doesn't make an FCD that will work to push through 9x19 cases.
In a situation like this, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Three-Five-Seven
09-19-2011, 09:20
Your problem is not the sizing die -- although it sounds like you could lower it a bit.

Your problem is brass that has been fired in a generously sized chamber, LIKE A GLOCK, and the base of the brass has expanded. This is a common problem in modern times with the 45 acp.

Lee makes a die for base sizing the brass that has been fired in a modern chamber.

Alternatively, (this is what I do) you can push the round into your checking gauge BACKWARDS, using the checking die to swage down the high spots. I'm sure this is not a recommended procedure and will erode your checking die over time. But, until you can get the dies from Lee, you can limp along this way. Yes, I do this with loaded rounds that don't go into the die normally.

Do, however, get the full length sizing die from Lee.