Working more than one cop job w/ two diff sidearms. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Working more than one cop job w/ two diff sidearms.

Kadetklapp
09-18-2011, 12:31
I work two different LE gigs currently. My full time court position with the county has me with an issued G22. Ho Hum. One of the little towns I served canned the force last week over political issues and I've found myself back on the road where I started, a small town over the county line where I first started as a reserve back in '05. The county guys there carry 1911s. We on the town PD carry whatever we can find. The department only issues 9mm or .40 ammo, however.

I'm considering carrying my G21C over there, which would mean setting up a seperate duty rig, buying a holster, getting qualified on it, etc. I'd like to have the same ammo on me as what the county carries. I also like my G21 considerably more than my personal G22 (which I went thru the academy with).

Do you think this is a bad idea? I know the gun is the same platform, but it is a lot larger, the recoil is different, and I have less ammo on me (13 instead of 15 in a mag). I don't want to put myself in an awkward position, but I would like to carry something other than a G22 on the road.

Cochese
09-18-2011, 12:48
I don't know how you guys work multiple jobs like that.

I would move somewhere that pays well enough to have one job. Failing that, carry the G21. Same manual of arms. No big deal.

pgg00
09-18-2011, 14:46
What Cochese said. Keep it in the same manual of arms.

tusk212
09-18-2011, 14:50
At my full time gig, I carry a Glock 17 and at my part time job, I carry the required M&P .40. I prefer the Glock. The first handgun I ever purchased was the same 17 I carry on duty and I am very comfortable shooting it. I have tried all 3 backstraps for the M&P and it still feels strange in the hand.

I can notice a difference when shooting the two. With the Glock, its second nature but with the M&P, I have to actively think about what I'm doing to get good hits. I'm sure I could get to the same point with the M&P as I am with the Glock through training, but working two jobs, time is at a premium. Some people can switch between the two and see no difference, but I am not one of those. If I were able to, I'd carry a Glock at both jobs.

Now back to your question, I really don't think the caliber difference will make that big of a difference as long as it is the same platform.

MeefZah
09-18-2011, 15:32
I don't know how you guys work multiple jobs like that.

I would move somewhere that pays well enough to have one job.

Some guys like to stay busy.

I work a full time and part time LE job and enjoy both of them. There are benefits to two gigs: you keep a backup commission in case **** goes south with one place, you have twice the available training you can attend, you keep a foot in a door at another agency and maintain all the networking contacts from that place, etc.

I can't answer the question because I carry the same G19 at both places, and wear my belt set up exactly the same; for tactical / instinctive reaction purposes.

collim1
09-18-2011, 15:58
I dont see it as any different from my situation. I work lots of outside jobs, just contracted through my dept. I am lucky to have a fairly steady lineup of security details through my dept. Yes, the dept does make some money off of me, but $30/hr for OT jobs like movie theatre/mall security aint bad.

k9medic
09-18-2011, 18:07
I would stick with the G22 for both jobs. Muscle memory will win every time under stress.

FWIW - I'm surprised that you can be sworn at two agencies. Here in FL there is a prohibition on "dual office holding."

Bushido5150
09-18-2011, 18:20
If all the people that work at two (or more) departments in Michigan would stop maybe I could find a job...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SAR
09-18-2011, 18:20
I only work one job, but carry many different guns. A lot depends on if I am in uniform or plainclothes or if I am doing something high risk. Never really had a problem. Your mileage may vary.... Practice as much as you can.

msu_grad_121
09-18-2011, 19:33
If all the people that work at two (or more) departments in Michigan would stop maybe I could find a job...

A-flippin-men.

FWIW, I've never heard of a full time, sworn PO working a part time cop job too, but that's just me. I HAVE heard of people working 2 or more part time cop jobs.

South Fla
09-18-2011, 20:09

It is much like the double and triple-dippers with retirements.

I actually know one guy who is quad-dipping.

He was hired at age 21 yoa and worked till he was 41 yoa and he retired from that job. (#1)

He went to a second job, worked the road for 5 years there until he was 46 and retired again. (#2)

Then, he went to the sheriff's office as a bailiff and worked 10 years there and retired at age 56. (#3)

He then went to another police department as an SRO and worked 5 years there and retired again at age 61. (#4)

I heard he was looking to go back somewhere to work till his Social Security kicks in.

Nothing like abusing the system.

nitesite10mm
09-18-2011, 20:19
I only work one job, but carry many different guns. A lot depends on if I am in uniform or plainclothes or if I am doing something high risk. Never really had a problem. Your mileage may vary.... Practice as much as you can.

This.

tusk212
09-18-2011, 20:24
A-flippin-men.

FWIW, I've never heard of a full time, sworn PO working a part time cop job too, but that's just me. I HAVE heard of people working 2 or more part time cop jobs.

I work a full time cop job and a part time cop job. I have to or else my family would not make ends meet. If I told you what I made an hour, you would laugh.

Bushido5150
09-18-2011, 20:47
A-flippin-men.

One officer I rode with during my internship had four leo jobs....one full time

msu_grad_121
09-18-2011, 23:56

Blows my mind. You'd think in this day and age, with as sue-happy the citizenry is and as liability-averse as departments are, they'd stay as far away from moonlighting as they could.

More power to anyone who can manage to land 4 jobs, but it sorta sucks for those of us whose commisions are time-sensative. Then again, who am I tellin, right?

SAR
09-19-2011, 00:52

I can't help but think this is either a Midwest or East Coast thing. I don't even think any agencies on the West Coast would even allow such a thing. Another thing we don't have out here is "part time" officers. You are either full-time or not.

jpa
09-19-2011, 01:05
A couple things jump out at me.

1) Why would you want to carry a gun that the dept doesn't issue ammo for when you have another one available that they will issue ammo for? I understand the thinking that you can get a battlefield pickup from the SO in a major firefight, but which scenario is more likely:

a. an extended firefight where both your agencies are involved with injured/KIA deputies scattered all around that you can steal unused magazines from

b. you needing ammo to qualify, to rotate duty ammo, or for practice/training?

If you do decide to carry your G21, buy some extra mags and keep them in your gear bag. It'll be easier than trying to download 1911 mags and reload your G21 mags under stress anyway.

2) Do you work night shift at this town PD? If so, you may want to get a regular barrel for your compensated model G21.

Kadetklapp
09-19-2011, 06:30
A-flippin-men.

Seriously? It's a reserve job, man. The only money I make is from paid security details which I'm able to do because of the reserve job.

The court job at the SO is special deputy only, meaning, I have no law enforcement authority off-duty, no car, no merit protection, blah blah, blah blah.

My town marshal job was such that I was only paid the minimum amount required by law so that I could claim paid status and get thru the academy. Since they eliminated their police department, I've got no where else to go. The town I worked for as a reserve previously had a need and so did I, so I went back. At least it keeps me up on my road work.

What I'm sick of is the full time merit cops going out and hogging all the town marshal jobs they can find, work the minimum hours required, look the other way on all criminal activity short of murder, allow the town to go to hell in a handbasket, and all the while collect their measly $500 a month or whatever and use that money to keep their girlfriends quiet.

I'm just going to stick with the for-tay. I can't stand .40 caliber, but oh well. I have no reason to keep the G21C. I probably ought to hock it.

jwhite75
09-19-2011, 06:54
Keeping with the 22 is your smartest bet for a number of reasons. Plus if the SD mainly carry 1911s, the ammo thing will be of no use to you for a G21. You will have no time to take ammo out of their guns and load your mags. You obviously know how to shoot a 45 so if you have to pick up a 1911 you can.

Kadetklapp
09-19-2011, 06:56
Keeping with the 22 is your smartest bet for a number of reasons. Plus if the SD mainly carry 1911s, the ammo thing will be of no use to you for a G21. You will have no time to take ammo out of their guns and load your mags. You obviously know how to shoot a 45 so if you have to pick up a 1911 you can.

Well I do have a 1911, but I don't think I'm proficient enough with one to carry it on-duty. And it would be a different manual of arms (way different) compared to a Glock. I just wanted to give the G21 a job, and get to carry something different, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that it would be irresponsible.

Agent6-3/8
09-19-2011, 07:42
Honestly, in the interest of saving money and keeping it simple, I'd just stick with the G22. IMO, the ammo compatability is a moot point. Unloading someone's 1911 mags and loaded your Glock mags while under fire isn't realistic. If it gets to that point they'll likely be a sidearm or two laying around to pick up.

Chowser
09-19-2011, 08:00
wow, my dept. prohibits being commissioned elsewhere, but we're allowed to work any other job as long as it is not police related (i.e. nothing with arrest powers or security). we're allowed to work any jobs contracted through the city.
teaching at academies or colleges is ok.
i havent felt the need to work outside of work so i guess i can count myself lucky.
as for your gun, i'd recommend just sticking with the 22. this way, your gear is the same at both jobs and the other job provides .40 ammo. why spend your own money?
all the guns i buy for myself i can use the ammo at work to practice with. saves $$$.

DaBigBR
09-19-2011, 09:37

+1

I do basically the same thing. Train, train, train.

(Wasn't intending to imply that I worked in plainclothes or anything "high risk", just end up carrying several different guns with different action systems over the course of a year.)

JohnnyReb
09-19-2011, 10:03
My personal opinion is keep using the G22. Even though its a very similar manual of arms, there are some differences, like grip size and capacity.

I like the idea of keeping everything the same, including duty rig.

Some people are very capable of wearing a sig on monday, tuesday wearing a glock, wednesday wearing a kimber, thrusday wearing a M&P, friday wearing a XD, and being proficient with them to equal degrees at any given time.

I have no problem admitting, I simply can't do that. If I practice mostly with my Glocks, when I pick up my M&P, I lose proficiency. If I go back and forth between them at the range, I tend to shoot them all to a fair degree of proficiency, but thats not acceptable to me when my life is on the line.

Everyone is different, and I'm not an expert shooter either way, so you mileage may vary.

PlasticGuy
09-19-2011, 11:51
My issue pistol is a Glock 17, and two years ago I picked up a part time gig on the side for $25 per hour that "encouraged" the carry of a 1911. It wasn't a problem because I shot both a lot, but it wasn't ideal. I would stick to one gun if you have a choice.

GunFighter45ACP
09-19-2011, 11:58
I would stick with the G22 for both jobs.

I agree. Carry whatever you want off duty, but for now I see no reason for the expense of the extra gear, ammo, etc.

DaBigBR
09-19-2011, 13:23
Some people are very capable of wearing a sig on monday, tuesday wearing a glock, wednesday wearing a kimber, thrusday wearing a M&P, friday wearing a XD, and being proficient with them to equal degrees at any given time.

Don't give me any ideas!

razdog76
09-19-2011, 18:07
Assuming your full time gig doesn't want their property being used at your other job, I would say either get another G22, or a G23. If the G21 fits your hand better, than I would suggest checking out a gen 4 G22 or G23.

The ease of having only one duty belt to maintain would supersede any other caliber considerations.

lndshark
09-20-2011, 05:23
My agency just picked up a new part-timer who's got two other part-time gigs...in two different counties. Guess you do what you gotta do in this day and age. Our other part-timers (2 of 'em) only work the one job. Apparently our P&P permit this. At least our department allows for a flexible schedule. Administration will work with the officer so that there are no conflicts with the scheduling of their other job.

I agree about what the others said about part-time work. When I heard that for the first time I thought I was mistaken. A "part-time" police officer? What the Hell is that? Turns out, it's quite common in Michigan. In California, it ain't.

The boss thinks that part-timers are the wave of the future in policing. Of course, that's the political side of the story (cost-savings) but I don't see it. The administration wants folks to take ownership of their jobs and mingle with the community. How can that happen when you aren't given benefits, don't know how many hours you're going to work and don't always know WHEN you are going to work?