A/C prep just paid off! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A/C prep just paid off!

UneasyRider
09-18-2011, 14:53
My A/C stopped working today and living in Florida that's not a good thing. It's only a year old (and 4 days) so my labor is out but my parts are covered.

So being a prepper... when I bought the system I bought an extra capacitor (it starts the fan motor outside) and 15 minutes after figuring out what part was not turning I have cold air again! And of course I went right to Amazon to order a backup capacitor again.

The prepper mind set saved me a bunch of cash. You ever have something like this happen to you that would only happen if you were prepared?

quake
09-18-2011, 15:08
Thermocouple on a gas heater went out once, probably 14-15 years ago; and having a spare meant a warm night instead of a very cold one. (This was in a previous house that wasn't nearly as well insulated as it should have been. New one is.)

Numerous similar incidents with belts, hoses, pumps, etc. They never break or fail until you're using them or trying to use them; and that's usually not a good time to stop everything and drive to town, hoping they'll have a new one.

Septic tank issue at a family member's house once - without the spare clothes in the kit in my vehicle, I'd have been driving home naked. (And nobody wants that.)

relayman
09-18-2011, 15:15
In addition to a spare capacitor , get yourself a contactor ( for the compressor/fan ) as well . Ants like to get in those things and burn up the contacts . Around 20 bucks or so .

UneasyRider
09-18-2011, 17:44
In addition to a spare capacitor , get yourself a contactor ( for the compressor/fan ) as well . Ants like to get in those things and burn up the contacts . Around 20 bucks or so .

I've had to scrape dead bugs out of that relay a couple of times because it kept my unit from working. I had a rattle snake wind it's way into the electrical sub box, and when he fried the breaker tripped and took out my A/C too, that was a nice find. They are pretty simple machines it's just felt so nice to have the part on hand.

I have been collecting parts for all kinds of carburators, plumbing, electric and other appliances that I know that I will be fixing again some day. My wife has come to expect that not only can I fix it, but that I will have the parts!

TangoFoxtrot
09-19-2011, 02:40
Good for you uneasyrider. I wish I was that mechanically inclined.

R_W
09-19-2011, 12:12
Gas furnace glowplug. Went out while we were on Christmas vacation and came back 7 pm new years eve to a 34 degree house :wow:

Crank up the gas fireplace to keep the kids warm, start all the faucets dripping, and dig into the furnace. Once I see the cracked glowplug, I grabbed the propane torch and forced the furnace to light. Nursed it that way through the weekend and then bought 2 glowplugs on Monday morning.

I don't want to think how much an emergency weekend holiday service call would have been.

Jake514
09-20-2011, 19:52
My A/C stopped working today and living in Florida that's not a good thing. It's only a year old (and 4 days) so my labor is out but my parts are covered.

So being a prepper... when I bought the system I bought an extra capacitor (it starts the fan motor outside) and 15 minutes after figuring out what part was not turning I have cold air again! And of course I went right to Amazon to order a backup capacitor again.

The prepper mind set saved me a bunch of cash. You ever have something like this happen to you that would only happen if you were prepared?

Congrats on being prepared. As you probably know, there are usually two more capacitors, one on the indoor fan usually in the attic and one on the compressor. I have redundant AC units and a spare, but am planning to get some spare parts for myself also.

UneasyRider
09-21-2011, 05:28
Congrats on being prepared. As you probably know, there are usually two more capacitors, one on the indoor fan usually in the attic and one on the compressor. I have redundant AC units and a spare, but am planning to get some spare parts for myself also.

It felt great is all that I can tell you, A/C is as important to us as heat is to people up north. We could each live without it but we wouldn't like it. But it's a great feeling when you have the part on hand, the tools and the knowledge to make everything work.

Dirk Pitt
09-21-2011, 09:24
Spark plug for my generator, it was physicaly snapped by a falling tool in the Garden shed. Long story there, but when I found it, I went to my spares kit with other goodies in it too and replaced it and got it going! It is a nice feeling.

UneasyRider
09-21-2011, 10:40
Spark plug for my generator, it was physicaly snapped by a falling tool in the Garden shed. Long story there, but when I found it, I went to my spares kit with other goodies in it too and replaced it and got it going! It is a nice feeling.

I hear that, I bought a dozen spark plugs for my generator when I saw them on sale... great minds.

cowboywannabe
09-21-2011, 10:58
youre not "prepared" for shtf stuff if you dont have a wood burning fireplace.

heat, light, and cooking.

in the summer, well, you'll be hot with just fans but you'll get by.

UneasyRider
09-21-2011, 11:14
youre not "prepared" for shtf stuff if you dont have a wood burning fireplace.

heat, light, and cooking.

in the summer, well, you'll be hot with just fans but you'll get by.

I like solar cooking, sleeoping when it's dark outside and don't need heat, and I mean that I really don't need heat, we have plenty here in Florida.