Anti-Air Defense: Or "Hawks stole the chicken!" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Air Defense: Or "Hawks stole the chicken!"

Unistat
09-18-2011, 17:14
I have a friend who had a hawk snatch-up one of her chickens. Anybody know anything about backyard ack-ack?

Unistat
09-18-2011, 18:15
Update: The birdnapped chicken just walked up the drive way! A day later! I had no idea chickens would return home like that (let alone escape from a hawk.)

kirgi08
09-18-2011, 18:50
:dunno:

Aceman
09-18-2011, 18:53
I have a friend who had a hawk snatch-up one of her chickens. Anybody know anything about backyard ack-ack?

It is a rare and grand occasion that I make this recommendation, and nowhere does it seem more appropriate:

12g loaded with BIRDSHOT!

kirgi08
09-18-2011, 19:00
Cage the top of the coop.'08.

cannoneer
09-18-2011, 19:19
Update: The birdnapped chicken just walked up the drive way! A day later! I had no idea chickens would return home like that (let alone escape from a hawk.)

First post at 1814
Second post at 1915
Would that be one hour and not one day.

G29Reload
09-18-2011, 20:00
Shotgun. Go to shotgun.

!2g, field loads, predator swoops on your feathered prep, blast it. F that biatch. Leave my chicks alone. Man if I had chicks laying eggs (breakfast) or it was ready to be hatcheted for dinner meat, I would be some kinda pissed to see some bird swoopin in to snatch my dinner. BLAM! Find some way to cook it up too, to stretch my meal.

glockeglock
09-18-2011, 21:40

BORNGEARHEAD
09-18-2011, 21:49
Cage the top of the coop.'08.

This is what you do.

JKDGabe
09-19-2011, 07:50
It's my understanding that hawks/birds of prey/raptors/whathaveyou are protected. Shooting them, legally, is out.

I prefer movable pens, gives protection from virtually all predators, not just the flying kind. Failing that, get a more aggressive breed. We had some chickens that were under a tree, hawk came down, 4 roosters attacked! :rofl: Maybe we should have had more hens... :shocked:

Big Bird
09-19-2011, 08:05
Unfortunately it will get worse. Hawks are quick learners.

We had one last year where I duck hunt down in Arkansas. He was very smart and the sound of shotguns were his dinner bell. He would hang out at the at the far end of the rice field and when someone dropped a duck that flew 70 yards or so before he hit the ground the hawk would casually drop in an get the downed duck. Not only was he a thief but an out of range thief. He told his buddies too and by the end of the season there were three hawks making a living off the duck hunters....

Bilbo Bagins
09-19-2011, 08:44
Yea, the chicken was grabbed by a chicken hawk, and got away and walked home. It wasn't like the chicken sneaked out to go drinking or anything

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/88446/88446,1183181432,4/stock-vector-drinking-chicken-vector-illustration-3636005.jpg

I don't think there is anything you can do if your chickens are roaming free. However they are in a fenced off area, you can run baffle lines. Up in the North East along the coast, outdoor restaurants run heavy fishing line in a zigzag pattern from poles, or fence, to their roof. Not a lot, but just enough that the seagul, or in your case a chicken hawk, cannot fly down into the area without hitting its wing on something. Birds are not dumb, they don't want to get hurt or trapped, so they would move on.

JDSTG58
09-19-2011, 15:40

Unistat
09-19-2011, 17:07
First post at 1814
Second post at 1915
Would that be one hour and not one day.

I came home from work and was reading Facebook when I saw my friend's post about the chicken-napping from the day before. A little later she updated that Lucy (the chicken) came home. Honestly, why would I make up something so stupid?

Lucy and Ethel do have a roofed and movable roost, but my friend likes to let them roam the garden to eat pests.

However they are in a fenced off area, you can run baffle lines.

I will have to suggest this to her.

AK_Stick
09-19-2011, 21:11
in most places, birds, even protected ones, taking livestock or property, can generally be dealt with. Local Fish and Game would be the first call.

12 gauge would work nicely.

kirgi08
09-20-2011, 08:18
I came home from work and was reading Facebook when I saw my friend's post about the chicken-napping from the day before. A little later she updated that Lucy (the chicken) came home. Honestly, why would I make up something so stupid?

Lucy and Ethel do have a roofed and movable roost, but my friend likes to let them roam the garden to eat pests.

Then there will be casualties.'08.

cannoneer
09-24-2011, 15:56
Flawed evidence.
Neither post indicates when the hawk took the chicken. The OP could have heard about it three days ago, posted it today, then got a call an hour later telling him the chicken returned two days ago. Just sayin'

You are correct .

Did not think when I made the post.

cannoneer
09-24-2011, 15:59

I did not say you made it up nor were you stupid I just looked at the time.

By the way when I read this I could see that chicken walking up the drive way it's head going side to side saying man what a day.

Arvinator
09-24-2011, 18:35
I suggest you take a spool if fishing line, that cast the blue tint and string it across the top of your chicken coop. If a Hawk cannot scoop down/fly out he will stay out.