870 magnum, no express?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 magnum, no express??

RYNOCG201
09-18-2011, 18:19
My 870 has "Remington 870 Magnum" on the left side of the reciever and "Special Purpose" on the right (ejection port) side of the reciever. I bought the gun used and it came with a vent rib, rem choke 26 inch barrel. From what I have researched it is from around 1985 (maybe wrong here).

My question is what is different about it compared to 870's that have "Express Magnum" on the reciever. Do I have an older model with non MIM extractor, metal trigger quard assembly, etc? Also, what, if anything, does special purpose designate?

(crappy cell phone pic with 18.5" barrel on)
http://tapatalk.com/mu/97d53ae9-8b3b-6390.jpg

Thanks for any information guys!

aippi
09-18-2011, 21:48
It simply designates the finish which is the same finish as the Express but they polish the steel more before application.

Since you bought the weapon used It can have anything for parts as people switch them out. If your extractor has a ridge across it then it is MIM. If the trigger guard has a seem down the middle it is Polymer.

RYNOCG201
09-19-2011, 07:02
Perfect, I was hoping to get a response from you thanks! It looks as though I have a MIM extractor metal trigger guard. Sometime in the next couple of months I will be contacting you to order an extractor and a few other upgrade parts. Thanks again!

RYNOC

Woody Jones
10-11-2011, 23:41
I believe it is also possible to have a Magnum receiver that is not marked as such. I have an Express and when I called Remington to get the born-on date, the tech told me that I had a magnum receiver.

byf43
10-12-2011, 07:46
I believe it is also possible to have a Magnum receiver that is not marked as such. I have an Express and when I called Remington to get the born-on date, the tech told me that I had a magnum receiver.

IF I'm not mistaken, a "Magnum" receiver will have an "M" at the end of the serial number, whether or not "Magnum" is stamped on the receiver.
(Unless someone altered a 'standard' receiver and moved the ejector, in the receiver.)

aippi
10-12-2011, 07:53
All Remington shotguns being made today are on 3" receivers unless designated Super Magnum and have for some time.

If the serial number starts with RS it is a 3" Magnum Receiver unless it has Super Magnum on it. If the serial number ends in the letter "M" on the older shotguns it is a 3" receiver.

Steve in Az
10-19-2011, 10:17
My latest 870 is lacking the "express" designation as well, but it is an Express. It just says "870 Magnum" on the receiver. It was bought new about 2 years ago.