Quality cop movie coming out 9/30/11 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quality cop movie coming out 9/30/11

Sparkster
09-18-2011, 20:02
I wish I could go on opening night but I'll be camping with the boys that weekend. This movie looks to be well-made and possessing both shootemup action and high morals. Something you don't see out of Hollywood much. Trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9VT_NBIVfs

pgg00
09-18-2011, 22:20
Sounds like a pretty positive movie for a change.

puckhead
09-18-2011, 22:32
Man that looks good! Thought Fireproof was good so Im looking forward to this one

Pepper45
09-19-2011, 03:02
That sounds like a great message, and like it will paint cops in a positive light. I expect it to last in theaters about a day and a half.

Hack
09-19-2011, 08:10
There is a group from my church going to see it. I and my wife, and my kid, (well 17 year old), is most likely going to see it.

Hack
09-19-2011, 08:16
Going along with the theme of this movie, how often do we thank God for our families, and our wives/husbands? Without a supportive wife and a child who has learned to respect God I don't think I would be in the career that I am today. Not only am I working for God and myself, but for them as well.

merlynusn
09-19-2011, 08:42
Yeah, it's obvious the people who are making the movie are religious and painting us in a positive light. As soon as I saw it was from the same people as Fireproof that was solidified. As much as I'm impressed with a police movie showing us positively I'd be more impressed if it was from normal Hollywood.

Ajon412
09-19-2011, 09:04
That sounds like a great message, and like it will paint cops in a positive light. I expect it to last in theaters about a day and a half.

You read my mind. I hope it lasts longer than that. If anyone attends it on opening weekend, give us a review.....:wavey:

Patchman
09-19-2011, 09:50
I see the LE profession portrayed in the movie as secondary to the message.

C/O-RC
09-19-2011, 10:47
I see the LE profession portrayed in the movie as secondary to the message.

yea my wife made me watch fireproof (the makers of this movie) they take heros and tell them what they do isnt good enough... you need to find a balance just like anything in life... i was kinda hoping for a movie that tells housewifes to step up their game thats what i need.... what would they call that movie? First there was FireProof, then Courageous and now StainResistent?

BailRecoveryAgent
09-19-2011, 11:52
My wife and I have set this night aside for our monthly movie date night. We have liked the other movies by this group, Flywheel, Facing the Giants, and Fireproof, so I'm sure this one will be good as well.

As much as I love big budget Hollywood blockbusters, I love a good low budget Christ centered movie like the ones this company puts out.

scottydl
09-19-2011, 11:53
As much as I'm impressed with a police movie showing us positively I'd be more impressed if it was from normal Hollywood.

That will start to happen if these smaller-production movies start to bring in considerable audiences and make money. We consumers are the ones to make that happen.

Fireproof was a little cheesy in some area of dialogue and scenes, but was a great message and a big step up in production reality from the Left Behind movies. I personally know of a marriage that was saved because of that movie (or at least the movie got this couple turned around in the right direction), and from what I've heard there are thousands nationwide. Name anything Hollywood puts out that accomplishes anything like that.

From the trailer, Courageous looks like it will be even better from a quality film standpoint.

dano1427
09-20-2011, 17:59
Seems more like a recruitment piece for the Sherwood Baptist Church, than a pro-PD flick.

ruralpatrol
09-22-2011, 21:33
Planning on checking this out. Looks good!

JohnnyReb
09-23-2011, 01:42
Planning on checking this out. Looks good!

wow dude, you have been a member since 02 and I had no idea you existed :rofl:

efman
09-23-2011, 01:47
dragging my girlfriend to see this on my next weekend off, hope its good!

Ship A'Hoy
09-27-2011, 10:14
Can't get youtube at work.

What's the title of this movie?

BailRecoveryAgent
09-27-2011, 10:45
Can't get youtube at work.

What's the title of this movie?

Courageous.

RetailNinja
09-27-2011, 11:58
Saw the word Fireproof, closed window.

People's relationship with the invisible man in the sky who can't manage money is their own business. Movies about it are a waste of time.

scottydl
09-27-2011, 15:45
God is not a man, nor is He invisible. I don't think any major world religion teaches that. No "heaven in the sky" either, many of us just don't have a concept for anything but the earth so we end up looking up.

But thanks for your input, and God believes in you even if you don't believe in Him. ;)

FiremanMike
09-27-2011, 15:52
Seems more like a recruitment piece for the Sherwood Baptist Church, than a pro-PD flick.

IIRC Sherwood Baptist Church was barely mentioned in Fireproof.

Either way, I can't wait to see this one..

PinkoCommie
09-27-2011, 15:55
EDITED. On second thought... this does not need to be said.

TScottW99
09-27-2011, 17:22
I am looking forward to seeing this with my wife also.

M1Garand
09-27-2011, 22:03
Amen. May we put on the armor of God and stand ready.

Sparkster
09-27-2011, 22:16
God is not a man, nor is He invisible. I don't think any major world religion teaches that. No "heaven in the sky" either, many of us just don't have a concept for anything but the earth so we end up looking up.

But thanks for your input, and God believes in you even if you don't believe in Him. ;)

Just to be accurate, Christianity teaches that Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully man. Because he is man, he can relate to us and because he is God his sacrificial death has infinite value. We therefore have a God who is also our savior and who's death has the ability to pay for the sins of every single person who places their faith in him.

And yes, God believes in you even if you don't.

Before I get off the soapbox and go to bed, riddle me this: if you were walking through a field out in the wilderness and stumbled upon the finest Rolex watch in the world would you say to yourself, "wow, how amazing that precious metals and minerals randomly coalesced to form this beautiful watch."? Or would you recognize it for what it is- something that was carefully crafted by an intelligent creator. How then can we gaze upon ourselves with brains that the most brilliant scientists don't even understand and tell ourselves that we mysteriously evolved from primordial ooze?

Oh and just so this post isn't completely off topic... Two More Days- make your plans now! :cool:

Sniperfox
09-27-2011, 22:36
Gee, a movie portraying cops as normal human beings doing an anything but normal job for a change. Who woulda thunk it? I'll watch it.

Caustic Mopar
10-02-2011, 11:27
This is actually a book too, saw it the other day. i will probably watch the movie then read the book.

lwt210
10-02-2011, 11:44
I work at a theater doing the moonlighting gig.

We have 18 screens and this was on four or five of them. All sold out.

People walking out were raving about it. Not just the ones that I talked to but the ones that I overheard talking to each other.

I plan on going to see it later this week.

RetailNinja
10-02-2011, 12:23
if you were walking through a field out in the wilderness and stumbled upon the finest Rolex watch in the world would you say to yourself, "wow, how amazing that precious metals and minerals randomly coalesced to form this beautiful watch."? Or would you recognize it for what it is- something that was carefully crafted by an intelligent creator. How then can we gaze upon ourselves with brains that the most brilliant scientists don't even understand and tell ourselves that we mysteriously evolved from primordial ooze?

:upeyes::faint:

Morris
10-02-2011, 14:43
Gee, a movie portraying cops as normal human beings doing an anything but normal job for a change. Who woulda thunk it? I'll watch it.

The mildly overt Christian message aside, for that alone they will get some support from me.

Hack
10-02-2011, 16:04
:upeyes::faint:

Well mortal man, perhaps you do believe you came from the primordial ooze absent a soul and a spirit. Not all of us here are that way. The beauty of freedom in this country is not only in stated opinions, but in who or what we choose to believe. Your opinion is noted.

batson35
10-02-2011, 17:42
Outstanding film!!

NoGlamour229
10-02-2011, 17:46
Hey guys...just went and saw this movie, by myself (yes I was that guy). Besides the lady crying behind me the whole time and her husband kicking my chair...the movie was pretty good. The movie is more about the struggles within a family, then it is about "copping". I am not usually the overly religious guy, but this movie really got me doing some self reflecting. There were a few "Hollywood" type scenes that made me chuckle, but for the most part it portrayed us LEO's as somewhat normal. I would recommend this movie to any of my co-workers.

Milltown
10-02-2011, 18:32
My Mom & Dad who is a Sheriff's Deputy went and saw a pre-screening over a month ago and thought it was a great movie.

groovyash
10-02-2011, 19:17
Before I get off the soapbox and go to bed, riddle me this: if you were walking through a field out in the wilderness and stumbled upon the finest Rolex watch in the world would you say to yourself, "wow, how amazing that precious metals and minerals randomly coalesced to form this beautiful watch."? Or would you recognize it for what it is- something that was carefully crafted by an intelligent creator. How then can we gaze upon ourselves with brains that the most brilliant scientists don't even understand and tell ourselves that we mysteriously evolved from primordial ooze?

Give those metals and minerals a couple of thousand trillion tries to fall into place as a watch and eventually the probability of them making a watch out of random coincidence is pretty close to inevitable conclusion.

<--- Is far from an athiest. I believe in a higher power as a grand watch maker, establishing the rules of the physical universe that then guided the astoundingly complex series of events that eventually ends up with our having this discussion on Glocktalk but also I also don't automatically rule out the possibility that we are not of any significance to that higher power.

Then again, maybe we are, I'd like to believe so.

scottydl
10-03-2011, 08:06

I have a few shifts of that coming up too, but not for a month. Hopefully it'll still be playing then so I can check it out while "patrolling" the theater. :cool: Otherwise I may not have a chance until it comes out on DVD... I'm betting by Christmas.

...but also I also don't automatically rule out the possibility that we are not of any significance to that higher power.

Then again, maybe we are, I'd like to believe so.

We are, so you're safe brother! Now you just have to start believing it. ;)

RetailNinja
10-03-2011, 08:58
Well mortal man, perhaps you do believe you came from the primordial ooze absent a soul and a spirit. Not all of us here are that way. The beauty of freedom in this country is not only in stated opinions, but in who or what we choose to believe. Your opinion is noted.

Just to be clear, it should be that my belief or faith (lack thereof) should be noted, not just opinion.

I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good

opelwasp
10-03-2011, 12:49

Hey, everyone is entitled to believe in the lie they were told since grade school. I prefer to use my critical thinking skills and discover the truth.

Morris
10-04-2011, 07:16
Welp, guess I'll warm up the popcorn maker.

Kadetklapp
10-04-2011, 09:18
Hey, everyone is entitled to believe in the lie they were told since grade school. I prefer to use my critical thinking skills and discover the truth.

Yet you quote Ecclesiastes in your sig?

scottydl
10-04-2011, 10:13
Yet you quote Ecclesiastes in your sig?

I believe he was referring to primordial ooze/Big Bang/evolution as being the grade school lie we are taught. Critical thinking being required to believe the Bible, which has more historical and archeological basis in fact than anything else we assume about what happened millions/billions of years ago.

blueberry1177
10-04-2011, 11:55
I want to see this movie but convincing my non cop friends to see it will be near impossible :(

Sippo
10-04-2011, 12:36
Saw the movie last night at a local theater. It was sold out. My daughter works in L.A. making movies and said if we want movies like this to come out of Hollywood they need to see ticket sales at the box office (not DVD's sold). I'd suggest that we make the effort to see movies like this at the theaters and send a message that there's a serious market for quality, positive family entertainment that reinforces what's good and responsible for our society. And that includes the Gospel message for a lost world.

FiremanMike
10-04-2011, 14:28
I saw it yesterday with my mens group. It was a sobering reminder of what God charges us to be as fathers.

dano1427
10-04-2011, 17:25
I believe he was referring to primordial ooze/Big Bang/evolution as being the grade school lie we are taught. Critical thinking being required to believe the Bible, which has more historical and archeological basis in fact than anything else we assume about what happened millions/billions of years ago.

Prove it, without biblical references.

Religion is a belief, not fact.

FiremanMike
10-04-2011, 17:47

So is the theory of evolution and the big bang theory. It's all subject to what you choose to believe. For myself, I have seen the power of Christ and prayer work in people's lives.

scottydl
10-04-2011, 19:11

I am speaking of facts that ARE in the Bible being backed up by history and archaeology. There are multiple factual texts on these matters, although I'm certainly not one of the authors and can't prove anything to you here on an internet forum in a few lines. If you're really interested, PM me and I'll be happy to share some non-Biblical resources with you that prove events described in the Bible.

Kadetklapp
10-05-2011, 06:23

Thank you. I fail.

Kadetklapp
10-05-2011, 06:24
So is the theory of evolution and the big bang theory. It's all subject to what you choose to believe. For myself, I have seen the power of Christ and prayer work in people's lives.

Excellent posting good sir.

Morris
10-05-2011, 07:21
Christ on a cracker boys! Leave religion out of this. I'm not a Christian by any means but I'll support a movie that has a positive message involving cops, that doesn't involve unnecessary violence, unnecessary overt sexual situations and all the usual Hollyweird crap.

scottydl
10-05-2011, 07:46
...I'll support a movie that has a positive message involving cops, that doesn't involve unnecessary violence, unnecessary overt sexual situations and all the usual Hollyweird crap.

^ Amen brother!

Of course I mean that in a wholly (vs. holy) nonreligious way. ;)

ryanm
10-05-2011, 09:30
Hey, Javier!
Are you talking to me!
You're late! Did you bring your own tools?

ryanm
10-05-2011, 09:31
I think I will have a Chicken Sandwich and a lemonade.
With waffle fries... and maybe even a milkshake!

FiremanMike
10-05-2011, 09:51
Christ on a cracker boys! Leave religion out of this. I'm not a Christian by any means but I'll support a movie that has a positive message involving cops, that doesn't involve unnecessary violence, unnecessary overt sexual situations and all the usual Hollyweird crap.

You do realize that the plot of this movie is that fathers need to be the Christian leaders of their households, right?

FiremanMike
10-05-2011, 09:51
i think i will have a chicken sandwich and a lemonade.
With waffle fries... And maybe even a milkshake!

that was stinkin hilarious!!!

scottydl
10-05-2011, 09:53
I think I will have a Chicken Sandwich and a lemonade.
With waffle fries... and maybe even a milkshake!

That sounds freakin' AWESOME.

Morris
10-05-2011, 11:36
You do realize that the plot of this movie is that fathers need to be the Christian leaders of their households, right?

Yes. But I'm not offended by it as a former Christian.

FiremanMike
10-05-2011, 12:35
Yes. But I'm not offended by it as a former Christian.

Just explaining the context of the conversation.

Morris
10-05-2011, 17:11
Which sadly seems to ebb and flow. Sort of reminds me of a bible study session I responded to when one church goer thumped another on the head with a bible as they argued about something in said book . . .

Yeah, it was hard to keep a straight face and a civil tongue on that one. :)

FiremanMike
10-05-2011, 18:01
I'm sorry that you had experiences like that, I wish it was rare, but we are our own worst enemies.

Morris
10-05-2011, 18:20
I'm sorry that you had experiences like that, I wish it was rare, but we are our own worst enemies

Naa, no biggie. Grew up Seventh-Day Adventist. Seen worse. :)

opelwasp
10-07-2011, 03:59

Keeping "religion" out of the discussion is easy.
Unfortunately keeping the Bible out is not. Why should I abandon my worldview and accept your worldview in order to prove my worldview, seems counter productive.

Creationists and Evolutionists have differing worldviews - a different ultimate standard by which all evidence is interpreted. Creationists and Evolutionists have access to the same data. They draw differing conclusions when observing DNA, comets, or anything else in the universe. The evidence does not "speak for itself"; rather, it requires interpretation.

It is tempting to try to "meet on neutral ground", that is, perhaps there is an "objective" position in between the creation and evolution worldviews. Upon closer examination it cannot possibly work. The very idea is logically flawed. The creationist and evolutionist both have positive worldviews, that is, each believes their world view is the correct one in which to interpret evidence. So a meeting in the "objective middle" is not possible.

But for sake of argument, where did the laws of logic, the uniformity of nature, or absolute morality come from?
Clearly, in order for us to reason logically, there must be laws of logic. In order for us to study to study nature, the universe must have some regularity in time and space, which is referred to as uniformity. It may seem odd that absolute morality is required for a rational worldview, but the idea that we should be rational at all is a moral obligation. So morality is required if we are to argue that people ought to have a rational basis for their worldview. In any case, most evolutionists do believe in morality; yet they have no basis for morality within their own worldview.

Agent6-3/8
10-07-2011, 07:24
I'd like to see it, but unfortunately the only theater playing it is over an hour away...

Sippo
10-07-2011, 08:39
To my Christian brothers arguing against those who don't believe in Christ: Please remember that the Gospel is an offense to those who don't believe. I know, I have non-believers who are close family members. If the movie did a bad job of declaring the Gospel, no one would be offended, and we might as well call it a great movie on family values and community responsibility. (which it is)
If Christ was the "milk-toast", everyone-goes-to-heaven, let’s-just-love-everybody Jesus everyone seems to want him to be, He never would have been crucified.

7So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe,

"The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,"
8and

"A stone of stumbling,
and a rock of offense."

They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

1 Peter 2:7,8

To my non-believing GT friends: Sit back and enjoy the movie. Christians do not expect you to believe in the Gospel unless it is God's plan for you to do so. My hope is to live together with you in peace serving our communities together, with respect. We make no apologies for the Gospel. My prayers go out to you all.

RetailNinja
10-07-2011, 12:12

Therefore, because the bible sanctions slavery (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=colossians%203:22-3:25&version=ESV), the CSA was righteous and should have won the war? :dunno:

I'm curious as to how they stumbled when the north was disobedient?

opelwasp
10-07-2011, 22:29
Therefore, because the bible sanctions slavery (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=colossians%203:22-3:25&version=ESV), the CSA was righteous and should have won the war? :dunno:

I'm curious as to how they stumbled when the north was disobedient?

Do you refer to "slavery" as the Bible instituted it or slavery in the way man perverted it and used it to oppress others? The Bible had very strict rules on the treatment of slaves and how long they were to be allowed to be slaves. Biblical slavery was a lot more like indentured servitude than anything. It is when man deviates outside of the guidelines the Bible sets when mankind gets into trouble.

Don't go blaming God for mans stupid mistakes and abhorrent behavior.

Morris
10-07-2011, 22:34
Go to a cop thread and a religious fight breaks out . . . sheesh.

BailRecoveryAgent
10-08-2011, 08:32

Well, it is a thread about a Christian themed movie that involves cops.

MakeMineA10mm
10-08-2011, 09:51
Keeping "religion" out of the discussion is easy.
Unfortunately keeping the Bible out is not. Why should I abandon my worldview and accept your worldview in order to prove my worldview, seems counter productive.

Creationists and Evolutionists have differing worldviews - a different ultimate standard by which all evidence is interpreted. Creationists and Evolutionists have access to the same data. They draw differing conclusions when observing DNA, comets, or anything else in the universe. The evidence does not "speak for itself"; rather, it requires interpretation.

It is tempting to try to "meet on neutral ground", that is, perhaps there is an "objective" position in between the creation and evolution worldviews. Upon closer examination it cannot possibly work. The very idea is logically flawed. The creationist and evolutionist both have positive worldviews, that is, each believes their world view is the correct one in which to interpret evidence. So a meeting in the "objective middle" is not possible.

But for sake of argument, where did the laws of logic, the uniformity of nature, or absolute morality come from?
Clearly, in order for us to reason logically, there must be laws of logic. In order for us to study to study nature, the universe must have some regularity in time and space, which is referred to as uniformity. It may seem odd that absolute morality is required for a rational worldview, but the idea that we should be rational at all is a moral obligation. So morality is required if we are to argue that people ought to have a rational basis for their worldview. In any case, most evolutionists do believe in morality; yet they have no basis for morality within their own worldview.
Great post, man! The only thing I'd add is that there is only one truth and as humans, I'm afraid our capacity to completely understand that truth is a shortcoming which has led to the two divergent arguments.
To my Christian brothers arguing against those who don't believe in Christ: Please remember that the Gospel is an offense to those who don't believe. I know, I have non-believers who are close family members. If the movie did a bad job of declaring the Gospel, no one would be offended, and we might as well call it a great movie on family values and community responsibility. (which it is)
If Christ was the "milk-toast", everyone-goes-to-heaven, let’s-just-love-everybody Jesus everyone seems to want him to be, He never would have been crucified.

7So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe,

"The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,"
8and

"A stone of stumbling,
and a rock of offense."

1 Peter 2:7,8

To my non-believing GT friends: Sit back and enjoy the movie. Christians do not expect you to believe in the Gospel unless it is God's plan for you to do so. My hope is to live together with you in peace serving our communities together, with respect. We make no apologies for the Gospel. My prayers go out to you all.

Another great post! This is the one thing I struggle with as a believer. I believe God gave man free will so that every man (& woman) has the opportunity to choose to believe in Him (or not), but the passage you quote (which is also an example of God's omnipotent knowledge even of the future) seems to pre-ordain each man's choice. Hard concept to reconcile logically.
yeah, but have you noticed it's about 1000-times more civil than in the religious forum? :)

Also, I very much feel for you and your past experiences. I grew up in a mild church, but got involved in a fundamentalist church in college, and sometimes those venues can turn people away more than encourage or inspire. I walked away from religion for a good ten years after that, but God kept drawing me back, and now I'm in a fantastic church. I hope and pray you receive a similar blessing.

lwt210
10-08-2011, 10:52
Finally saw Courageous last night with my family.

Really good movie. I don't go to many that have been out this long and the audience claps at the end of it.

All fathers should go see it, believers or non believers.

FiremanMike
10-08-2011, 14:28

That is pretty much a dead on point. Atheists love to point out flaws in the system, but blame these flaws on God instead of man..

msoprano
10-08-2011, 14:42
This looks super lame.

Broke Hoss
10-08-2011, 22:52
Just got back from seeing the movie. GOOD STUFF. It is a christian faith based film more so than a "cop movie". If that's not for you, don't go. If it is, cop or not, I recomend it as a movie to watch.

RetailNinja
10-09-2011, 16:22

This is fundamental enabler thinking. With this thought process, one would be better tasked with writing policy loopholes for an insurance company than law enforcement.

RetailNinja
10-09-2011, 16:42
That is pretty much a dead on point. Atheists love to point out flaws in the system, but blame these flaws on God instead of man..

I'm pretty sure that if there is a flaw, it comes prior to the interpretation of "the Word" and is certainly with the word itself as there's no confusion or mysticism in these verses.

22 "If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman. So you shall purge the evil from Israel.

23"If there is a betrothed virgin, and a man meets her in the city and lies with her, 24then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones, the young woman because she did not cry for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbor’s wife. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

Regardless of religious/cultural/ethnic/NintentoVSsega background, killing people is generally regarded as a no-no. Yet, killing the skeezy dude that just slept with person A's fiance, and the fiance herself is clearly and explicitly stated as legit. Not only that, but person A doesn't have to want them killed, by these words, YOU as the faithful must do the duty to clean your city! I'm fairly certain that the public killing of skanks (unless you're in NYC) doesn't go unnoticed by local law enforcement.

I'm not here to make some big debate, and I should say that I DO NOT WANT TO SEE A WORLD FULL OF EMPTY CURCHES, TEMPLES, SYNOGOGUES, etc.. on Sundays, I just don't want to see crap like this movie peddled to the masses as though it's OK. If someone finds moral truth and happiness through religion, and they are happy, so am I. I don't like seeing *********gery like throwing the word theory in front of the word evolution as if to make a point or through doubt on a scientific view that is viewed as rationally and factually correct.

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” (Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/9/3/6/religion-is-like-a-keep-it-inside-11297-1283509798-5.jpg

opelwasp
10-10-2011, 06:00
I'm pretty sure that if there is a flaw, it comes prior to the interpretation of "the Word" and is certainly with the word itself as there's no confusion or mysticism in these verses.

Regardless of religious/cultural/ethnic/NintentoVSsega background, killing people is generally regarded as a no-no. Yet, killing the skeezy dude that just slept with person A's fiance, and the fiance herself is clearly and explicitly stated as legit. Not only that, but person A doesn't have to want them killed, by these words, YOU as the faithful must do the duty to clean your city! I'm fairly certain that the public killing of skanks (unless you're in NYC) doesn't go unnoticed by local law enforcement.

I'm not here to make some big debate, and I should say that I DO NOT WANT TO SEE A WORLD FULL OF EMPTY CURCHES, TEMPLES, SYNOGOGUES, etc.. on Sundays, I just don't want to see crap like this movie peddled to the masses as though it's OK. If someone finds moral truth and happiness through religion, and they are happy, so am I. I don't like seeing *********gery like throwing the word theory in front of the word evolution as if to make a point or through doubt on a scientific view that is viewed as rationally and factually correct.

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/9/3/6/religion-is-like-a-keep-it-inside-11297-1283509798-5.jpg

I'm sorry where does the Bible say "killing" wrong? Murder (Hebrew "nakah") in Exodus 20:13 is wrong, but I just don't find any evidence to support no killing (Hebrew "ratsach"). This is a misdirection from the origin discussion anyways, a red herring.

It is also interesting that you support morals/morality and even the concept of right and wrong but you have no foundation to back it up. If evolution is correct and accepted then there is no justification for right and wrong. Just a bunch of random accidents interacting with other random accidents as each seem fit. Morality does not come into play.

It is OK if people go to church, synagog, temple as long as they abide by you guidelines. Interesting. When did your personal beliefs outweigh the validity of mine?

It is entirely appropriate to place the word "theory" in front of evolution. There has been no observation science that can be tested and retested to prove evolution. There are interpretations of "historical science" that many scientists trust, but there are many scientists just as scholarly and credentialed that interpret the same "historical science" differently. This is the fallacy of appeal to authority/majority and is rationally irrelevant.

You also resort to derogatory comments and name calling, fallacy of the begging-question epithet. Try keeping name calling and emotional appeals out of your argument, it will help make it more compelling.

FiremanMike
10-10-2011, 06:51
I don't like seeing *********gery like throwing the word theory in front of the word evolution as if to make a point or through doubt on a scientific view that is viewed as rationally and factually correct.

I'm guessing you're calling darwin a *********? It IS the theory of evolution, it IS the big bang theory. This isn't me making up new terms sir, these are the actual titles of these "events". There is no more proof of either of these theories than there is of the Bible, as I stated, it's all in what you choose to believe.

Also, why does it bother you that a Christian movie is "peddled"? Why is that not OK in your book? What if I said I never wanted to see a movie advertised that dealt with the theory of evolution, wouldn't that be equally closed minded and ignorant?

You're an atheist, we get it, but you're pushing the same tired arguments of all those before you. I challenge you to actually spend some time researching Christianity and come to your own conclusions, rather than perpetuating snippets of scripture, taken out of context, and using them as irrefutable proof of no God. To be fair, I spent many years of my life without God, so I've been there, and it wasn't pretty.

Look up Lee Strobel.

opelwasp
10-10-2011, 07:33
This is fundamental enabler thinking. With this thought process, one would be better tasked with writing policy loopholes for an insurance company than law enforcement.

How is that "enabling"? I never suggested that mankind was not responsible for the evil acts they commit. Mankind is directly accountable for their actions, and must realize there consequences. Hiding behind church doctrine is not going to absolve men from their evil deeds either. Every man should verify what they are being taught to make sure it is consistent with the Bible (Acts 17:11). Not just blindly follow their "religious" leader and hope they will be covered for any wrongdoing.

dp509
10-10-2011, 07:43
Saw the movie last night at a local theater. It was sold out. My daughter works in L.A. making movies and said if we want movies like this to come out of Hollywood they need to see ticket sales at the box office (not DVD's sold). I'd suggest that we make the effort to see movies like this at the theaters and send a message that there's a serious market for quality, positive family entertainment that reinforces what's good and responsible for our society. And that includes the Gospel message for a lost world.

Well Said.

I saw it with my wife.

Great Movie.

RetailNinja
10-10-2011, 08:31
It is OK if people go to church, synagog, temple as long as they abide by you guidelines. Interesting. When did your personal beliefs outweigh the validity of mine?

It's only interesting in that you completely misunderstood / didn't read what I wrote in entirety and are quoting without context. When I say "moral truth" I define it as knowing the difference between right and wrong. I'm pretty sure you missed the part where that I don't say "as long as they abide by my guidelines". This can be extrapolated to no end, but your comment is off base. I'll but it this way. If my neighbor to the left is a Wiccan, my neighbor behind me is a Christian, and my neighbor to my right is Jewish, I am atheist in the middle and we are all good people who don't steal each other's property and help each other find our lost dogs there is no problem. That is what I mean by my comment. No one is abiding by anyone else's guidelines or rules, and we all coexist.

Also, why does it bother you that a Christian movie is "peddled"? Why is that not OK in your book?

I have no problem that the movie is posted here, I have a problem with Sparkster's title. This (without seeing it) is a Christian faith based movie with cops in it, not a "quality cop movie". To call it such is disingenuous at best.

FiremanMike
10-10-2011, 08:54
I have no problem that the movie is posted here, I have a problem with Sparkster's title. This (without seeing it) is a Christian faith based movie with cops in it, not a "quality cop movie". To call it such is disingenuous at best.

:upeyes:

scottydl
10-10-2011, 08:57
Non-Christians cannot be bullied or convinced into Christianity by battling facts, and it often just turns people away even more. There will always be worldly views to "defeat" the truths in the Bible. What can be done is to expose others to Christian principles (most often done by just living an honorable life that others can see as an example), and let them arrive at their own decisions. God works on his timeline, not ours.

There certainly are already enough negative images and ideas woven into American society. This type of movie is a good way to broadcast the positive messages of Christian life, which is why we need more of it in our everyday lives.

RetailNinja
10-10-2011, 18:54
Non-good people cannot be bullied or convinced into being good by battling facts, and it often just turns people away even more. There will always be worldly views to "defeat" the truths in the Bible. What can be done is to expose others to good principles (most often done by just living an honorable life that others can see as an example), and let them arrive at their own decisions. Self-Reliance works on a timeline.

There certainly are already enough negative images and ideas woven into American society. This type of movie is a good way to broadcast the positive messages of good life, which is why we need more of it in our everyday lives.

Were your statement what I changed it to, we would be in full agreement.

Hack
10-10-2011, 21:16
This is a soap box moment. If it bothers you feel free to say so, I really don't care concerning that; as it is so far a free country.

I am going to digress from the main point of the thread for a moment to explain something about how I see things as a Christian. You don't hear me say a whole lot about God all of the time, but I am putting this out for an explanation of what it is for me to be a Christian concerning the Gospel message. I do not expect for all to understand or to agree with my view on things, but I do expect that we can still live in the same society.

Although I am not a strict Calvinist, (theological term, feel free to "Google" it), I tend to believe in one area especially that he was correct; concerning man, and only those whom he predestined to be his will ultimately answer His call to them to be His and accept Him; that all others are deaf to His calling. I am not saying that I am correct, but over the years that I have been alive it seems to have been born out fairly well that, that is the way of things with God.

Likewise I also subscribe to the Scriptures where it points out that the Gospel to them who are perishing is foolishness, and therefore people who have rejected the Gospel message will continually to consider Jesus, (Yeshua), and His words a rock of offence. But, sometimes I am surprised to see His grace manifested in instances where it seems the most unredeemable amongst us may be the one who later is redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb. So, I don't leave it up to myself to judge who is predestined to be brought into the fold of grace or left outside doomed to an eternity of separation from God.

FWIW, I wish all would understand the Gospel message as presented in the New Covenant texts and accept Him, but I also know that is unrealistic.

Therefore as a citizen of the USA I mainly hope overall that we can simply get along realizing that we are going to have differing values; beliefs, and such like. But, don't expect us people who are Christians to run counter to our beliefs concerning the commission to spread the Gospel message to all peoples. We know that all people will not acknowledge it much less receive it joyfully. But, it is only up to us to plant, to water, and for God to bring the increase of souls. It is up to God by His Spirit to call out to man and to draw, because our human efforts will only contribute so much.

Now, in getting back to the subject of this thread; I am hoping my family and I will see this tomorrow after I get off of work, and we have a decent breakfast. I look forward to a good quality movie.

Sparkster
10-10-2011, 22:18
The previews I saw had a bunch of foot chase and gunplay. Sadly I haven't seen it yet due to conflicts but from the trailer it looked like "quality cop movie" fit the bill. I stick to it without apology.

scottydl
10-11-2011, 08:28
Were your statement what I changed it to, we would be in full agreement.

Being Christian DOES NOT equal "Good" (or vice versa), and if you were ever taught that then you were mis-taught. Some church denominations are worse at this than others, putting too much focus on good deeds. I won't cut down any particular denomination, but it seems that all the different churches we have put division where there should be unity.

We are all "Bad" (i.e. sinners) by God's standards and cannot possibly earn our way out of eternal death by doing good deeds. Those of us that are Christians do good because we choose to and it's what Jesus taught in the Bible, not because we are trying to prove ourselves to God (who sees through our worldly exterior). The intent of our good deeds is extremely important... it has to come after our obedience to God, not before.

If anyone reading this is seeking a healthy church to attend, please make sure they are strictly teaching from the Bible and not some denominational doctrine or secondary texts.

lwt210
10-11-2011, 14:57
The previews I saw had a bunch of foot chase and gunplay. Sadly I haven't seen it yet due to conflicts but from the trailer it looked like "quality cop movie" fit the bill. I stick to it without apology.

Word.

You won't need to apologize. It is a good, quality cop movie. It is still getting good ticket sales at the theater I moonlight at. Haven't heard one complaint about it yet.....from real people who go see movies (not professional critics).

Hack
10-11-2011, 16:06
Movie report in brief: Excellent. Go see it. :)

RetailNinja
10-12-2011, 09:11
Being Christian DOES NOT equal "Good" (or vice versa), and if you were ever taught that then you were mis-taught.

You're correct. However, being a good person does equal being a good person.

None needed/requested/expected. I'm basing my opinion off of not having seen the movie either :cool:

:upeyes:

Would a Christian side hug make you feel better :wavey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Oj0-splZw

I'm sorry where does the Bible say "killing" wrong? Murder (Hebrew "nakah") in Exodus 20:13 is wrong, but I just don't find any evidence to support no killing (Hebrew "ratsach"). This is a misdirection from the origin discussion anyways, a red herring.

It is entirely appropriate to place the word "theory" in front of evolution. There has been no observation science that can be tested and retested to prove evolution. There are interpretations of "historical science" that many scientists trust, but there are many scientists just as scholarly and credentialed that interpret the same "historical science" differently. This is the fallacy of appeal to authority/majority and is rationally irrelevant.

The red herring verses that I quoted are direct without being explicit. The stoning of these individuals is not murder or killing, the actions are punishment and an act of cleansing. Additionally, my wording was not meant to be derogatory or begging-question, it was simply using language that I hear on the street when on details regarding unfaithful individuals.

Regardless, in the 1860s, evolution / natural selection was a theory. In 2011, evolution / natural selection is not. People who claim to be intelligentsia yet reject these ideas are, in fact, not what they claim to be.

ghstface38
10-12-2011, 09:48
Come on guys, this is ridiculous.

I'm not religious, but I do consider myself spiritual. I loved the movie, very well done.

Hack
10-12-2011, 09:56
Word.

You won't need to apologize. It is a good, quality cop movie. It is still getting good ticket sales at the theater I moonlight at. Haven't heard one complaint about it yet.....from real people who go see movies (not professional critics).

It's a definite tear jerker, along with there being a little cop action, and some joyful periods as well.

Kadetklapp
10-23-2011, 08:08
Great movie. I was expecting it to be quite hokey and corney, but it really wasn't. The production team did a good job keeping it somewhat accurate (uniform detail, car detail, weapon detail) and at the same time enough "action" to keep non-LEO type people interested. Some of the tactics were even close to real life.

Great message. Of course now I feel like dirt but I digress...

steveksux
10-23-2011, 19:03

We have 18 screens and this was on four or five of them. All sold out.

People walking out were raving about it. Not just the ones that I talked to but the ones that I overheard talking to each other.

I plan on going to see it later this week.I hear there's some gang or other planning on causing disturbances in that movie, disrupting the show. Some Hell's Atheists or something like that?

Just saying maybe you should stay in there and keep an eye on things... :tongueout::supergrin:

Randy

steveksux
10-23-2011, 19:08
Before I get off the soapbox and go to bed, riddle me this: if you were walking through a field out in the wilderness and stumbled upon the finest Rolex watch in the world would you say to yourself, "wow, how amazing that precious metals and minerals randomly coalesced to form this beautiful watch."?God must have created it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorHLQ-jLRQ) :tongueout:

Come on guys, can't we all just get along??? :supergrin:

Nobody's gonna convince anyone on the other side over the internet. We all have the right to be wrong so let them go be wrong in peace... Talking to both sides, btw, in case you're wondering...

Absolutely no reason Christians can't produce movies that put their beliefs in a favorable light, Hollywood does it all the time.

Randy

ryanm
10-23-2011, 19:51
The production team did a good job keeping it somewhat accurate (uniform detail, car detail, weapon detail)

Since it's based in the same city/county as the producing church is located... they may actually be real SO vehicles... or at least have someone local advising. Who knows?

Kadetklapp
10-24-2011, 08:18
Oh, and there is some pretty wholesome comedy too. Very fun.

SCSU74
10-26-2011, 15:46
Wondering if I saw the same movie all y'all are talking about? I almost walked out of courageous several times, very boring and hardly any "action" I guess if you are the religious type this movie would be ok?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FiremanMike
10-26-2011, 16:08
Since it's based in the same city/county as the producing church is located... they may actually be real SO vehicles... or at least have someone local advising. Who knows?

Anyone else notice the references to Fireproof? They drove by the firehouse, there was a news report on the fire where Kirk Cameron saved the little girl but got burnt, it was pretty neat to see the seams..

Agent6-3/8
10-26-2011, 20:50
I was in the grocery store tonight and noticed they were selling "Courageous" ball caps and t-shirts in their movie rental section. Found that pretty interesting.

Fiery Red XIII
10-26-2011, 22:54
Going to see it this Friday...

Red

Sippo
10-27-2011, 11:59
God must have created it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorHLQ-jLRQ) :tongueout:

Come on guys, can't we all just get along??? :supergrin:

Nobody's gonna convince anyone on the other side over the internet. We all have the right to be wrong so let them go be wrong in peace... Talking to both sides, btw, in case you're wondering...

Absolutely no reason Christians can't produce movies that put their beliefs in a favorable light, Hollywood does it all the time.

Randy

+1, Bro.

Kadetklapp
10-27-2011, 12:47
Wondering if I saw the same movie all y'all are talking about? I almost walked out of courageous several times, very boring and hardly any "action" I guess if you are the religious type this movie would be ok?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

What do you define as the "religious type?"

I found it to be wholesome, sometimes corny, mostly funny when it was meant to be, and I found the action scenes no more so inaccurate than any Hollywood film, maybe even more accurate.

I am not a religious person by definition.

scottydl
10-27-2011, 16:40
I am not a religious person by definition.

EVERYONE is religious about something. It's just where you choose to put your focus and efforts. ;)