Would Like to get a Generator And Tips on Picking one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would Like to get a Generator And Tips on Picking one?

BLACK Z
09-18-2011, 21:11
I'd like to get a Generator for my home, I have Oil heat I'd like it to be able to run the Furnace,On Demand Hot Water Heater, Well Pump and the Fridge and maybe a few lights,

What size would I need?

What Brand?

What Fuel Type?

I dont know much about them any info would be great, I am not even sure what the diffrent hook up methods are. Thanks a lot.

SAR in FL
09-18-2011, 21:24
I just got a Champion 6000 watt, gasoline powered generator. Check out youtube for transfer switches or interlock kits to wire it to your panel. Get a licensed electrician so you don't wind up back feeding the grid which can hurt or kill someone working on the lines.

squirreld
09-18-2011, 22:44
I'd like to get a Generator for my home, I have Oil heat I'd like it to be able to run the Furnace,On Demand Hot Water Heater, Well Pump and the Fridge and maybe a few lights.

Oil heater, no biggie. Just need to power a blower motor.
Well pump, Big.
On demand Hot water heater. You WONT be able to power this.
Frig and lights, small.

I would say at least 8KW WITHOUT knowing more specifics.
How many feet down is your well, do you know the HP of the pump in the well?
Frigs are around 300 Watts running, 1500 surge.
lights, say 1KW for them.
Blower motor, same as the frig.

Powermwt
09-19-2011, 00:22
If you use home heating oil you may be able to run a diesel generator.

See here:

http://www.powertogo.ca/diesevslheating.htm

There are several models on that site linking to small (6-10kw) generators.

There are hundreds of models and types... from cheap portable units to permanent standby systems.

BLACK Z
09-19-2011, 07:24
The On Demand water heater is Propane.

Would I want a Gas,Diesel or propane Unit?

I Dont care if I have Electric or Pull start,

Having it auto switch over is nice but I dont need it.

Not sure how the auto switch works, or how to hook it up to the house,

I am looking for a portable unit I guess I want to stay under a $1,000.00.

DoctaGlockta
09-19-2011, 07:51
I have a 6500 watt unit that has a propane/natural gas conversion kit on it. It can be plugged in directly to the panel. I would highly recommend you do the same so you are not running extension cords throughout the house. Also have a smaller 2000 watt Yamaha that is a little more thrifty on fuel if I need it.

squirreld
09-19-2011, 20:07
I'm with DoctaGlockta
I have a large 8KW and small 3 KW.

The well pump will be the biggest concern. You should find out the HP rating of that pump.
Or at least how deep it is. That should get us close to the HP rating.

BLACK Z
09-20-2011, 06:48
From Knowing the Area most people have 1/2 HP Pumps, I dont feel like pulling it since I have know idea how deep it is, IF one item drew close to max power from the gen, could I just make sure nothing else is running while it is?

Powermwt
09-20-2011, 15:37
Yeah, you can do that by keeping the pump off until you need to pressurize the water system, then turn the other circuits off and turn the pump on.

What size breaker and voltage is the pump, 115 or 230... 10/20/40 amp breaker.

I run a 13kw trifuel generator as my pump needs to put out 40 gpm at 35psi up from 150-200'.

UneasyRider
09-20-2011, 16:36
From Knowing the Area most people have 1/2 HP Pumps, I dont feel like pulling it since I have know idea how deep it is, IF one item drew close to max power from the gen, could I just make sure nothing else is running while it is?

1 HP = 742 watts, so if P=IE you have 371=120*I or about 3 amps and less than 400 watts. An expensive little inverter type would the most efficient and quietest.

squirreld
09-20-2011, 16:50
http://www.franklin-electric.com/media/documents/M1311_60_Hz_AIM_Catalog.pdf

1/2 HP is a little smaller than mine. Depending on if the pump is 2 wire or 3 wire (capacitor start) a minimum of 3KW is needed.
So my 8KW suggestion is a little much.
Perhaps a good 6 KW would be sufficient.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a generator from here
http://www.generatorsales.com/honda-generators.asp

BLACK Z
09-20-2011, 18:23
Well Pump is 220, I think it's only two Wire.

squirreld
09-20-2011, 19:14
Usually a 6KW will have a 5 KW continuous.
so if your frig and lights and blower motor are all pulling 2KW.
you will have another 4 available to start the well pump.
That should be sufficient.

beatcop
09-20-2011, 19:59
You need to google generator sizing, manual transfer switch, how to install a generator for starters.

Depends on your needs. You looking to cover the power issue for the next storm only? Gas will be the least expensive. If you are wealthy, get whatever size you want....5k would prob be the min considering your possible loads. After that, it's abou the cost of the unit and the amount of fuel you'll be burning.

The whole manner in which it is hooked up is the subject of much drama on a lot of forums. If you want it done properly, call an electrician. If you can sleep at night doing the work yourself, you can probably grab a northern tool catalog and grab what you need.