Keltec PF9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keltec PF9

snowbird.40
09-18-2011, 22:08
Mas - I'm giving strong consideration to the purchase of two Keltec PF9s - one for my wife and one for me. I expect these guns will be our primary CCWs during the summer months and then will be secreted at our lake property over the winter (thus the reason for purchasing a less expensive gun in case they should be stolen during the 8-9 months we are in the south).

Couple of questions: I know Keltec advises against shooting a steady diet of +P ammunition, so how many rounds of practiced ammo and SD ammo do you feel should go through these guns before you would feel confidence in them? Also, would you feel that Federal HSTs in 124 grain +P would be a good choice for carry?

I've read in other forums that some handgun ammo has harder primers and are prone to misfires, with Federal and Remington being some of the softer primers .... so I lean towards that ammunition. I'm even thinking of trying a 100-round box of Remington's factory HPs from Wally World until the Federals can be ordered and shipped.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Mas Ayoob
09-18-2011, 23:33
I generally run a couple hundred carry loads through the gun before I can trust it. The Remington generic JHP should be a good warmup/breakin load.
best,
Mas