Hornady New Dimension Pistol Dies...Taper or Roll Crimp??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady New Dimension Pistol Dies...Taper or Roll Crimp???

re223
09-18-2011, 23:20
I'm confused. Do the 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP Hornady Custom-Grade New Dimension Titanium Nitride Dies come with a taper crimper or roll crimper in the seating dies? For example, Hornady only lists one 9mm die set on their website (546515...which is also the one I just bought from Cabela's), yet Midway has two; one that specifies a taper crimp and one that doesn't specify at all. I saw that Cabela's actually carries only one 45 ACP Hornady die set with only a roll crimper! Why would they only carry that when not many people even shoot 45 ACP revolvers? Does anyone else use the Hornady dies and if so, which ones have the taper crimpers built in? I'm wondering which one I bought. Also do the .380 Hornady die sets have taper crimpers built in? Thanks.

Colorado4Wheel
09-19-2011, 06:57
AaWhen I looked at Hornady Dies I remember them all having a roll crimp. I know when I had the 380ACP set they had a roll crimp. I even talked to Hornady Tech Support and I thought I remember him saying the 3 Die sets all had a roll crimp.
Basically you are just removing the flare so it doesn't matter if its a roll or a taper because your not actually crimping.

Boxerglocker
09-22-2011, 19:27
AaWhen I looked at Hornady Dies I remember them all having a roll crimp. I know when I had the 380ACP set they had a roll crimp. I even talked to Hornady Tech Support and I thought I remember him saying the 3 Die sets all had a roll crimp.
Basically you are just removing the flare so it doesn't matter if its a roll or a taper because your not actually crimping.

Plus looking at what Jack said in the other crimp threads... you need to taper crimp first in order to roll crimp. So by using it just to remove the flare taper crimping is essentially all your doing.

C4W, I ended up just ordering the RCBS taper crimper /seater die you suggested... used my Midway Bday discount along with a couple other bits and pieces.

barnettbill
09-22-2011, 19:43
I have the new dimention dies in 9mm and .45acp, they come with roll crimp. I had to buy taper crimp dies separately. I could never get the roll crimp to crimp to my satisfaction (I am kind of a-r about it) the taper crimp die works great and is easy to set up.

Colorado4Wheel
09-22-2011, 19:59
:steamed::steamed::steamed:

Birthday discount

:steamed::steamed::steamed:

I think I am going to buy another Lee 6 Cavity mold just to get even again.

WiskyT
09-22-2011, 20:14
I think I am going to buy another Lee 6 Cavity mold just to get even again.

You're not qualified.

Why would Hornady make roll crimp dies for taper crimp rounds like 9/40/45? Why would anyone buy them?

engineermike
09-30-2011, 23:44
yep, they come with a roll crimp and the taper crimp die is extra. Go figure..:crying:

Frank V
10-01-2011, 19:28
I have used an old RCBS 9mm seating die with a roll crimp quite sucessfully for quite some time. I just back the die out till it puts a nice light crimp on the case. Of course you have to screw in the seating stem to seat the bullet far enough into the case, but that's no big deal. It's been working fine for me for a long time.
Frank

ISOM
10-02-2011, 18:20
Back in the early 1970's, when I got my dies for my 1911, I went to my local gun shop.
They did not have TAPER CRIMP die but, he sold me a steel sizing die, without the decapping rod. I used it and it worked fine.
I have removed the decapping stim from my Semi-Auto dies and taper crimped with them.