127 Hours [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 127 Hours

Bilbo Bagins
09-19-2011, 14:06
So I seen 127 recently. For those who don't know, the movie is based on a true life story of a hiker/rock climber, who during a climb into Robber Roost canyons in Utah, had a boulder dislodge and fall trapping his right hand along a tight canyon wall. After 5 days of not being found his only option was to break his arm and cut it off. The movie was so-so. You figure it gets a little boring watching a guy stuck in the same position for 3/4 of the movie, and he has weird hallucinations toward the end. However it does make you think, especially in my case because I do hike a lot.

Things I took away from the movie.

Never pack poor quality equipment. The guy could not find his trusty Swiss Army knife when he left for his trip. Alll he had was a cheap Chinese multitool. Let's just say it was almost comical when he first tried to saw at his arm with the dull knife blade and barely got a scratch.

Always bring ample food and water I notice this with some preppers. They have a 3 day BOB and all they have in the way of food and water is three power bars and 32oz of water. That is barely enough for 1 day. This guy had a full Nalgene (32oz), a camelback bladder (either 70oz or 100oz)and a few granola bars, and he was pretty much out of water and hallucinating by day 5.

Always tell someone where you are going. The guy in the story mentally beats himself up over the fact that he told no one where he was going. I can't tell you how many times I have gone hiking alone and sometimes never told anyone where I was going. The problem is most of my friends are slugs or not big into the outdoors. I like hiking the Appalachian trail, somewhat long distances, and in PA it is very rocky. It would be real easy for me while hiking on the rocky mountain ridges to fall, or to get my foot or hand stuck on a shifting rock. Thankfully the AT is the green highway, meaning its a long but narrow strip of wilderness. The odds of another hiker or a hunter finding me within 48 hours is very high. Still I think my "hooky hiking" days are done, and at least someone will be in the loop as to what my plans are. It should be for anything, include you guys who go shooting out in the desert alone. You just never know.

When the SHTF take a moment to inventory what you have on you and think of possible solutions, while trying not to panic. After the initial my hand is stuck, ohh crap, screaming, push pull fest, the guy did stop, took inventory of everthing he had on him, then thought of possible solutions.

quake
09-19-2011, 15:18
...Things I took away from the movie.

Never pack poor quality equipment.
Always bring ample food and water
Always tell someone where you are going.
When the SHTF take a moment to inventory what you have on you and think of possible solutions, while trying not to panic.
All good advice. We may think we're invincible, invulnerable, ten feet tall and bulletproof; but we're all actually very mortal. (Slightly moreso every passing day, actually... )

I injured myself bad once in the woods, winter of 1986; bad enough that I woke up on the ground probably a half mile from the house, with one leg gimped to where I could barely walk. People knew I went "to the woods”, but not what area or even what direction I went, I didn’t have a cell phone (or cell service in that area at the time), and people wouldn’t have been looking for me anyway for several hours at least. Took me over an hour to get thru that half-mile or so, and by that time my leg was stiff as a board, I was wet, dirty & cold from a few falls, and I was worried that my leg was permanently gimped.

[Of course, once I lumbered my dirty, muddy self into the back door of the house, my wife's initial response was to jump on me about the mud I had on me, and was getting on the floor. Feel the love...:faint:]

Whole thing could nowadays be avoided by simply always carrying a cell phone, and letting folks know where I’m going; at least roughly so.

Braken
09-19-2011, 17:35
Decent movie, I almost didn't finish watching it, when he started to beat himself against that rock to loosen it and cussing at it, that was just to close to home for me.

I'll add some ear plugs to the pack list, so I don't have to hear myself scream.

Tech has come a long way since that accident happened to him, cell phone wasn't too great back in early 2k's.

I'd bet he plans his trips a little better now, and not so much spur of the moment, and that he listens to that little voice in his head more,
telling him he " Ott's to do sumting before I do that" .

lawman800
09-19-2011, 22:37
Got way too boring for me. When does he start sawing? Give me the minute count so I can fast forward to that part.

Dexters
09-20-2011, 05:12
Whistle - don't leave home without it.

I also carry a Personal Location Beacon.

Bilbo Bagins
09-20-2011, 07:18
Whistle - don't leave home without it.

I also carry a Personal Location Beacon.

I always thought emergency whistle were kind of lame until I seen this movie. When you are stuck like that, its just so easy to have the whistle in your mouth and occasionally blow. It take little energy and while they didn't show it in the movie, in real life he probably lost his voice after screaming and yelling for help on the first day. Figure after 24 hours of not drinking water and/or extensive yelling you will fry your vocal cords, but as long as you are breathing you can still blow a whistle. I usually carry an emergency whistle and a flashlight (4sevens or fenix) with a beacon and SOS setting.

Dexters
09-20-2011, 07:41
I always thought emergency whistle were kind of lame until I seen this movie. When you are stuck like that, its just so easy to have the whistle in your mouth and occasionally blow. It take little energy and while they didn't show it in the movie, in real life he probably lost his voice after screaming and yelling for help on the first day. Figure after 24 hours of not drinking water and/or extensive yelling you will fry your vocal cords, but as long as you are breathing you can still blow a whistle. I usually carry an emergency whistle and a flashlight (4sevens or fenix) with a beacon and SOS setting.

It is an often overlooked, inexpensive and small piece of safety equipment. You can not yell as loud or for as long as a whistle.

Bilbo Bagins
09-20-2011, 07:54
Got way too boring for me. When does he start sawing? Give me the minute count so I can fast forward to that part.

The movie shows what day it is every morning at the bottom of the screen. He does the cutting on Wednesday. That is what kind of bugged me about this movie too, it had a decent begining and end, and a sprinkle of decent scenes here and there, but the visions/dreams of his childhood, and his teen years with some blonde girlfriend was kind of boring. It would have made a great 1 hour docu-drama but a 94 minute movie was pushing it.

Basically all you need to watch is the begining, rock falls, and the whole process he goes thru that day until he falls asleep. Monday morning is funny when he films himself doing a talk show, realizing that he told no one where he was going, and that his co-workers will realize something is up when he does not show up for work, however by the time they report it the authorities, they will wait another 24 hours before they will even begin a search.

At that point fast forward to Wednesday. What gets him going is a vision of him playing with his future kid. Lets just say when he finally gets to work the scene is very brutal to watch. What he does to prevent excessive bleeding and to make himself stable enough to climb out was really smart. Its also neat to see the actual real life guy and his family at the end.

That is it, 60 minutes of setup and the reality of the first day, a 5 minute dialog in the middle, and the ending sequence. The other 30 minutes is filler, or introspective whinning into a video camera, dreams and visions of water, lost loves, and childhood. There a pee drinking scene, and haunting visions of a blow up Scooby Doo (I kid you not).

lawman800
09-20-2011, 08:59
Hmmm... Makes me think twice about my solo jaunts into the canyons for sure. Whistle and a fenix light with sos is good. I was also thinking flares but some need two hands to pull and shoot and even the cyalume sticks need two hands to break to activate.

Dexters
09-20-2011, 09:05
http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/index.php

The Fast Find is a 406 MHz Personal Location Beacon (PLB)

lawman800
09-20-2011, 14:30
The Breitling B-2 Emergency was a great watch until they discontinued monitoring that frequency.