Lee pro 1000 bullet seat and crimp set up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee pro 1000 bullet seat and crimp set up

southern94
09-19-2011, 18:11
Recently purchased a Refurb Lee pro 1000 from lee for the 9mm and orderd one for the .45acp as well. Started setting up the 9mm and when i got to installing the bullet seater and crimp i have a prob.

flared empty case i raise the shell plate and screw die in till i feel resistance. finger tighten the lock nut then lower and add a bullet and raise shell plate to the top. and tighten down the smaller die inside the seating die till i feel resistance the problem is i never feel resistance and the inner die just bottoms out any idea what im doing wrong?

Colorado4Wheel
09-19-2011, 18:16
Did you size the case first? Is the bullet just falling into the case?

southern94
09-19-2011, 18:25
yes i sized the case first. the bullet does not fall in the case it just sits on top with in the top rim.

unclebob
09-19-2011, 18:41
Are you using a single seat and crimp die? Or do you have two dies one for bullet seat and one for crimp?

sellersm
09-19-2011, 18:44
Try adjusting the bullet seater die setting with a factory round of the same kind as what you're loading (bullet type & weight). If you feel resistance with the factory round, it'll be close to the right setting and you can then try it with the round you're loading.

If it doesn't work with a factory round, then I'd suggest examining the die itself as the seater part may be malfunctioning.

jdavionic
09-19-2011, 18:47
After it bottoms out and you lower back down, what does the round look like? Has the bullet been shoved way down in the case?

Colorado4Wheel
09-19-2011, 18:50
yes i sized the case first. the bullet does not fall in the case it just sits on top with in the top rim.

The seater is not low enough. Your feeling it hit something other then the case as you screw it down the first time.

southern94
09-19-2011, 19:56
well i think i figured out what the deal is i was doing everything right but i compared it to the .45acp unit i just got with it. in side the big die(crimping die?) is a tube and adjusting nut looks to be what sets the bullet in the case the more you screw in the adjuster screw the further it seats. well the tube that is supposed to be pushed down by the adjusting nut on the 9mm unit is missing i guess thats what i get for being refurb units.

PCJim
09-19-2011, 21:11
If your 9mm crimp/seating die is missing its bullet seater plug, you'll never get it working correctly. I'm sure Lee will get it right for you.

While you're at it, you might want to specify the profile of the bullet you are loading, so that they can send you the correct plug.