Shotgun chocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun chocks

sfguard
09-19-2011, 18:36
I am new to the whole hunting with a shotgun thing. Only reason I am really going to mess with it is a friend of mine is really into it and well it will get me out of the house and give me something to do. He is a rabbit/bird hunter. I put a (or at least what I believe to be a) nice shotgun into lay-away to use for this and skeet etc. It is a Ruger red box over/under. Much like this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252142460

Here comes the question:

What chokes are best for each of the activities? Rabbits, bird, and skeet? By the way the guy obviously uses dogs and the last thing I would want to do is shoot one of his dogs. So I am not really looking for something with a big pattern out of fear of that

RRTX11
09-19-2011, 21:43
Ruger Red label, great shotgun. If you shoot a couple boxes of shells and aren't use to it, you will feel it.

I use a Benelli M2, semi auto and hunt a lot of Dove, Quail, and Rabits...and for Dove and Quail, I use an Improved Cylinder (IC). For Rabbits, I will usually use an Improved Modified (IM).

A lot of people that I hunt that shoot Red Labels, or other over unders use an IC in the first barrel and a modified in the second barrel, or modified in first barrel and improved modified in the second barrel. Purely based upon preference and what type of hunting the are doing. I would recommend running through a few boxes of shells at a skeet range and get a feel for what works for you. Also, I would pattern my shotgun with the chokes just so I knew what type of pattern at what distances I was shooting at.

Angry Fist
09-19-2011, 21:46
Full choke for trap. I want a set of chokes for my S12.

sfguard
09-20-2011, 17:00
Cool. Thanks for the advise guys I appreciate it

method
09-21-2011, 18:47
If your patterns are so large that you really have to worry about hitting the dogs, you're far out of range.

Range sort of dictates choke....<25 yard shots, Improved Cylinder; <35 yard, Modified; 35+, Full is a good rule of thumb I feel (for the 3 most common chokes)

Zombie Steve
09-25-2011, 12:22
For upland birds, I always preferred modified in the first tube, improved modified in the second...

...and full choke for trap makes no sense to me.

:dunno:

RRTX11
09-26-2011, 08:30
For upland birds, I always preferred modified in the first tube, improved modified in the second...

...and full choke for trap makes no sense to me.

:dunno:

If I am hunting water/stock tank or a good food source, I will use Improved Cylinder OR Modified. If I am hunting a fly way or passing birds, Modified or Improved Modified....IM for passing or fly way white wing, they are like flying tanks. Sometimes with 6 shot, usually with 7.5.

Only time I have a full choke in is ducks, geese or bear country.

Robalero
09-29-2011, 04:27
I agree with the choices for birds and rabbits that have been posted. I hunt with Brownings, one O/U and one SXS; but for skeet I use a Remington Sporting with 28 inch barrel and a skeet choke. I love that gun and it does it's job!