Error that costed me a reloading session... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Error that costed me a reloading session...

Glock21sf-miami
09-19-2011, 20:58
On the weekend I sat down to load a hundred rounds of .45. In one of the strokes, something jammed the rotation of the shellplate (LNL AP) and I had to move the ram up and down a bit to get it unstuck. I visually checked the powder on the cases and moved on.
A day went by and I started to doubt the charge was correct on the the case under the powder drop at the moment of the stoppage. I couldn't take this off my mind because I load at the max on the manual. Since I had not identified the case or triple checked the powder charges, I decided to disassemble the hundred rounds I had made and assembled them again.... I lost a reloading session but at least I am at peace knowing that all my rounds are prefect. An error reloading can be a very costly one...

The lesson is: make really, really sure you check everything when something interrupts your loading process....

michael e
09-19-2011, 21:04
Yea pulling a few rounds apart isnt fun, but its better than a gun blowing up on you. I have a light mounted over my powder feed and check every round. Its just out of habit now, but a good habit.

PCJim
09-19-2011, 21:20
OP, many thanks for also considering my safety, should we ever end up at the same range.

One quality control item I'd like to reinforce... Check the powder level in every case as you reload. Prior to starting a reloading session, intentionally double charge a case so that you know what such a charge would look like.

thorn137
09-19-2011, 21:28
This has happened to me in the past - same press, same situation. The first time, I believe I ended up pulling 10-20 bullets from that session. Since then, if *anything* causes the press to not complete a proper cycle, i pull all 5 shells off the plate, and then manually load each one-by-one until I can "reset" the full sequence.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to things like this. You did the right thing.

thorn

Beanie-Bean
09-19-2011, 22:12
Excellent advice.

That may have cost you the reloading session, but could very well have save you and/or others from injury, and damage to your firearm.

I've adopted the gooseneck lamp method of checking powder levels on the 550, so I can see if I've double-charged or missed a charge.

Glad to hear that you lived to reload another day with everything intact.

El_Ron1
09-20-2011, 02:01
May, might have, maybe, could of... did you find anything worth worrying about? Next time isolate and label the offender.

freakshow10mm
09-20-2011, 02:11
Safety first. Then everything else comes into play.

JBnTX
09-20-2011, 02:59
That's what you call responsible reloading.
I wish everyone did it.

:thumbsup:

amd65
09-20-2011, 04:16
"....Costed..."...ugh

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 07:11
Your supposed to shoot the rounds out of a Glock and then blame the KB on the gun.

SCmasterblaster
09-21-2011, 07:45
It is good that you caught yourself. Whew!

unclebob
09-21-2011, 11:22
Your supposed to shoot the rounds out of a Glock and then blame the KB on the gun.
Or Tightgroup.

Cujo17
09-21-2011, 14:34
I feel your pain, I have taken apart just over 100 rds out of 600 or so from "creeping doubt". So far all are good.

ruger rcm
09-21-2011, 14:53
This has happened to me in the past - same press, same situation. The first time, I believe I ended up pulling 10-20 bullets from that session. Since then, if *anything* causes the press to not complete a proper cycle, i pull all 5 shells off the plate, and then manually load each one-by-one until I can "reset" the full sequence.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to things like this. You did the right thing.

This is exactly what I do also.

cole
09-22-2011, 09:20
Yea pulling a few rounds apart isnt fun, but its better than a gun blowing up on you. I have a light mounted over my powder feed and check every round. Its just out of habit now, but a good habit.

Agreed.

In 9mm, I pretty much can't mess up the powder charge in an unsafe way given fill volume with Unique and a 124gr. I look into every case.

In .45acp 230gr LRN, not as foolproof with Bullseye, but still difficult as I can run up to 5.2gr, but run only 3.8gr or so. The fill difference is noticeable looking into the case.

Having no powder is a concern IMO. Get a squib and ram that sucker with the next round is not good.

If you are running loads near the limit the more caution needed IMO. You have so little room for error and variance at the top end. And, same goes for 9mm and other small volume loads.

SCmasterblaster
09-22-2011, 09:30
Or Tightgroup.

That's my favorite propellant! I use it in .45 ACP, 9mmP, .44 MAgnum & .357 Mganum.

unclebob
09-22-2011, 10:00
That's my favorite propellant! I use it in .45 ACP, 9mmP, .44 MAgnum & .357 Mganum.

I was being sarcastic. If A gun blows up, people like to blame either it was a Glock or they were using Tight Group. Or heaven forbid both.

SCmasterblaster
09-22-2011, 10:08
I was being sarcastic. If A gun blows up, people like to blame either it was a Glock or they were using Tight Group. Or heaven forbid both.

I didn't know that TiteGroup had a bad rep . . . . tell me more, please.

Zombie Steve
09-22-2011, 10:29
I didn't know that TiteGroup had a bad rep . . . . tell me more, please.

A lot of guys use it with great success. It's such a fast burning powder, that it's not at all forgiving, particularly for noobs. Also, not very bulky which makes it tougher to spot a double charge. If you know its limitations, it shouldn't be a big deal. Too many leadwallets out there that try to make it something it isn't (a powder good for full power loads).

SCmasterblaster
09-22-2011, 10:34
A lot of guys use it with great success. It's such a fast burning powder, that it's not at all forgiving, particularly for noobs. Also, not very bulky which makes it tougher to spot a double charge. If you know its limitations, it shouldn't be a big deal. Too many leadwallets out there that try to make it something it isn't (a powder good for full power loads).

Then it is kind of like Bullseye.

Palouse
09-22-2011, 10:41
I had to disassemble 500 9mm rounds once. Sucked, but not as bad as blowing up my XDm and potentially my hand.

cole
09-22-2011, 11:58
Then it is kind of like Bullseye.

All fast powders are not equal. Temp sensitity and pressure curve can/will vary. As can/will burn/pressure variations due to compression. But, yes, they are both fast powders and a 'little goes a long way". Meaning the case won't be filled as much as a slower powder and they are not ideal for upper limit loads. I use BE as my "fast powder", but have burned a great deal of TG as well in 9mm and .45acp.

IMO the mid-burn powders are better for the new reloader because they allow more safeguards and greater margin for error.

SCmasterblaster
09-22-2011, 12:12
I had to disassemble 500 9mm rounds once. Sucked, but not as bad as blowing up my XDm and potentially my hand.

That must have taken a few days! :faint:

arodgers
09-22-2011, 15:45
Agreed.

In 9mm, I pretty much can't mess up the powder charge in an unsafe way given fill volume with Unique and a 124gr. I look into every case.

I'm loading Unique and 125gr LRNs and agree about not being able to double charge, but I had something that worries me more the other day when I had a round so light I had to stop to make sure it wasn't a squib.

unclebob
09-22-2011, 17:22
If you look inside each and every case for powder, no matter how much the powder fills the case. And if the powder that is in the case looks the same as the rest of the rounds you loaded. And if you have a screw up in loading you pull all of the cases out of the press dump any powder in the case and start over. You will not be pulling the bullet on all of these rounds.
I would rather have a squib load any day over a double charge.

Glock21sf-miami
09-22-2011, 20:33
Thanks for the input guys... Believe me, I have learned my lesson. I have always been very careful, I have a powder cop and check charges on the scale every 20 rounds or so. On some sessions it seems I'm adjusting the powder drop constantly. Other times, I go several sessions without touching it... Anyway, checking every so often insures consistency.

I now also check neck tension by pushing down the seated bullet with moderate force several times on every batch of brass, more frequently on those batches that have been loaded 4+ times. Bullets that get pushed in when chambering jam my Glocks...