Federal .38 129 +P stats [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal .38 129 +P stats

ilmonster
09-20-2011, 09:21
Mas,

Two questions. First the easy one. Are you aware of the effectiveness of Federals 129 +P LE Tactical Hydra Shok .38 Special load from a 2" snubbie (specifically, a Ruger LCR)? Is it different than the non-LE 129 +P Hydra Shok? This round happens to be much more available locally than the ubiquitous Speer 135+P GD round.

Secondly, to keep us uninformed masses from constantly peppering you with similar questions, is there a database you look to to find the effectiveness of various rounds in actual encounters that we can tap into? Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
09-20-2011, 19:39
The Hydra-Shok in .38 Special never developed an impressive reputation for its intended purpose.

The Speer 135 grain +P .38 Special Gold Dot, on the other hand, has earned a SPECTACULAR reputation both on the street and in gelatin testing. That's my own load of choice these days in a 2" .38 Special, and it's the direction in which I would urge you to go.

best,
Mas

Mas Ayoob
09-20-2011, 19:41
Oops, neglected your second question.

There is no central, empirical data gathering mechanism for this, unfortunately. That's why so many of us take pains to debrief police departments using the different loads...it's the best way we can find out how they're actually working on the street.

ilmonster
11-13-2011, 18:51
Mas, I was finally able to procure some of the Speer GD 135 +P (ordered from your friends at Pro Arms) and tried it in my Ruger LCR. It shot to point of aim, had a bit more snap than the 125 gr. Nyclad I've used, but wasn't intolerable. I think this is going to be my go to load when I receive my CCW here in Wisconsin. Next task is to get a XS big dot front sight for the LCR and I'll be set.

Thanks for all the great information you provide in this forum!