I received an invite to the psych! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I received an invite to the psych!

KiloBravo
09-20-2011, 11:56
I just got a call from my fiance at home...UPS just delivered a big thick envelope for me. It is the packet that I have been waiting for to show up for the medical and psych evaluation! This will be the last step in the testing process. After this, I will receive an approval or rejection letter to report to the academy or not. That is looking like a very real possibility at this point.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help so far. I am very anxious to making it in LE. I started the process for this department in January of 2009. :wavey:

DaBigBR
09-20-2011, 11:59
Good deal!

Just keep plugging away!

Ajon412
09-20-2011, 12:22
Good luck with the process and keep us posted.....

Patchman
09-20-2011, 13:16
Don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but back in 1999 I answered "Yes, I like tall women" and "Yes, I prefer working in a flower shop to operating a bulldozer." The rest is LE history. :whistling:

The closer you are to reaching this goal, the slower time will move. Keep your sanity by focusing your mind on what you normally do, not this process.

Don't know when the academy may start, but enjoy your weekends, and this Thanksgiving and Xmas. It may the be last you'll spent with family for a number of years.

Good luck.

Agent6-3/8
09-20-2011, 13:23
Good luck, bud! :wavey:

KiloBravo
09-20-2011, 13:25
Don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but back in 1999 I answered "Yes, I like tall women" and "Yes, I prefer working in a flower shop to operating a bulldozer." The rest is LE history. :whistling:

The closer you are to reaching this goal, the slower time will move. Keep your sanity by focusing your mind on what you normally do, not this process.

Don't know when the academy may start, but enjoy your weekends, and this Thanksgiving and Xmas. It may the be last you'll spent with family for a number of years.

Good luck.

Thanks! I will keep those answers in the back of my mind if I get asked the same ones. :rofl:

If I am accepted to the very next class, it will be this November about two weeks before Thanksgiving. This academy is 27 weeks, and cadets must live on site. They allow some weekends for you to visit home, provided you meet inspection standards.

I have been soaking up as much family time as I could these past 6 months, just on the off chance that I get to go. You could not be more right about missing out on things with them in the future.

I have been mainly trying to focus on PT and working out, and relaxing on my off days more than anything. It helps me refocus and keep things in perspective.

KiloBravo
09-20-2011, 13:28
Thanks everybody else! I hope my next update post will be me saying that I received an offer letter! :wavey:

I was never in the military, and the academy is very Para-Military in the way they run things. It is also 27 weeks long. I am excited, but just a tiny bit nervous because of fear of the unknown. I have been told the best way to roll is with my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.

IGotIt
09-20-2011, 13:34
Wishing you the best, good luck.

BailRecoveryAgent
09-20-2011, 13:37
I have been told the best way to roll is with my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.

That could be said for most situations in life.

Good luck.

Panzergrenadier1979
09-20-2011, 20:07
Wishing you luck.....don't be discouraged if you are not hired. Keep trying elsewhere. I know you've been working hard for this for some time now.

That being said; if you DO get hired AND graduate from Hershey, I will personally buy you a beer and swap an agency patch with you.

rsagona1
09-20-2011, 20:20
Best of luck!

msu_grad_121
09-20-2011, 20:24
Congratulations and good luck! Keep us posted!

KiloBravo
09-21-2011, 05:13
Wishing you luck.....don't be discouraged if you are not hired. Keep trying elsewhere. I know you've been working hard for this for some time now.

That being said; if you DO get hired AND graduate from Hershey, I will personally buy you a beer and swap an agency patch with you.

Wow, thank you for the kind words and your offer! I would happily take you up on it, and would be happy to buy a round myself. :wavey: I am sure I will be ready for a cold one after my stay in Hershey. Haha!

Hack
09-21-2011, 07:59
Congratulations on getting this far in the hiring process.

I can attest to missing family events, holidays off, and what have you. I have been doing this since 1991. I will tell you something else too. One day you are going to reflect on the years you have been involved with a profession that offers long hours, weekends worked, holidays worked and what have you and think, "Have I spent enough time with family, kids, wife?" Be sure you can answer that in the best way possible with the best of possible outcomes leading to it. In the long term, wife and family will understand you had a career to pursue that you believed you are called to, and that the career also helped to provide for the necessary things of life. But, take time with them when you can. There is a reason that law enforcement; medical; careers that keep people travelling a lot, and so on have the largest percentages of divorce.

Learn to recognise eustress, and distress, and how to handle both types. I don't say it lightly, as I have seen many good people worn down over my time spent in my career field. Some recover OK. Others don't, with some to the point of self termination of their existence in this life.

Do take on time with family, and activities outside of work. Make social connections outside of work, such as attending religious services and being involved in the religious organization's activities where possible; or being involved in other beneficial organisations such as the Red Cross; Salvation Army; or other organisation where charitable work is done. It helps to be involved in something where you may see positive good come out of your activities.

Many of us here, even in my line of work have dealt with all of what I have mentioned in some way. I am involved in my church, and sometimes give a little time to the American Red Cross. I am involved with my wife and child, although not as much as I would like to be at times. Some things I have only to blame myself for. When you feel like closing up and being by yourself, without meditating or doing some other activity that is beneficial for yourself, it is time to re-examine yourself.

Ajon412
09-21-2011, 09:38

Good luck.

Also, if you're asked to draw a picture of a house, make sure it has plenty of windows, a sun, flowers in the garden and smoke coming from the chimney. I know of some who were required to see a Psych after stating that they "liked to hunt"......I know I'm probably dating myself, but I"m not even sure if they still ask these questions, part of the Minnesota Multiphasic.....:whistling: So tell us. Did you finally marry that tall woman that admired you working in a flower shop??:rofl::rofl:

KiloBravo
09-21-2011, 09:56
Congratulations on getting this far in the hiring process.

I can attest to missing family events, holidays off, and what have you. I have been doing this since 1991. I will tell you something else too. One day you are going to reflect on the years you have been involved with a profession that offers long hours, weekends worked, holidays worked and what have you and think, "Have I spent enough time with family, kids, wife?" Be sure you can answer that in the best way possible with the best of possible outcomes leading to it. In the long term, wife and family will understand you had a career to pursue that you believed you are called to, and that the career also helped to provide for the necessary things of life. But, take time with them when you can. There is a reason that law enforcement; medical; careers that keep people travelling a lot, and so on have the largest percentages of divorce.

Learn to recognise eustress, and distress, and how to handle both types. I don't say it lightly, as I have seen many good people worn down over my time spent in my career field. Some recover OK. Others don't, with some to the point of self termination of their existence in this life.

Do take on time with family, and activities outside of work. Make social connections outside of work, such as attending religious services and being involved in the religious organization's activities where possible; or being involved in other beneficial organisations such as the Red Cross; Salvation Army; or other organisation where charitable work is done. It helps to be involved in something where you may see positive good come out of your activities.

Many of us here, even in my line of work have dealt with all of what I have mentioned in some way. I am involved in my church, and sometimes give a little time to the American Red Cross. I am involved with my wife and child, although not as much as I would like to be at times. Some things I have only to blame myself for. When you feel like closing up and being by yourself, without meditating or doing some other activity that is beneficial for yourself, it is time to re-examine yourself.

I don't know what to say Hack, other than a huge thank you! I really appreciate your time to spell all of that out for me. :wavey:

Patchman
09-21-2011, 16:18
Wow, thank you for the kind words and your offer! I would happily take you up on it, and would be happy to buy a round myself. :wavey: I am sure I will be ready for a cold one after my stay in Hershey. Haha!

Hershey, PA? That's where the academy is at? I'd do a road trip for your graduation.

Patchman
09-21-2011, 16:30
Also, if you're asked to draw a picture of a house, make sure it has plenty of windows, a sun, flowers in the garden and smoke coming from the chimney.

So tell us. Didn't you finally marry that tall woman that admired you working in a flower shop??:rofl::rofl:

I was also told that if you're ever asked to draw a house, to never draw stick figures representing people. And if you're drawing a tree, don't draw a stick figure tree, and make sure the branches have leaves on them. And it goes without saying to never draw a house that's on fire.

No tall woman ever liked me back enough. :crying:

:rofl::rofl:

Patchman
09-21-2011, 16:40

A 20 or 25 (or more) years LE career can be a living hell if you're not well grounded and if you don't have the support system behind you.

Families of LEOs should get a lot more credit than they actually get.

KiloBravo
09-21-2011, 16:53
Hershey, PA? That's where the academy is at? I'd do a road trip for your graduation.

Yes Sir. The PA State Police Academy is in Hershey, PA. I would be honored for anybody of Cop Talk here on GT that could make it. :wavey:

Ajon412
09-21-2011, 18:13
A 20 or 25 (or more) years LE career can be a living hell if you're not well grounded and if you don't have the support system behind you.

Families of LEOs should get a lot more credit than they actually get.

I agree 100%...

Patchman
09-21-2011, 18:25
I agree 100%...

OMG Ajon. You're my soul mate! Are you tall? Are you a woman? Will you marry me?

:tongueout: